How much cardio?

Bigandlean

I'm getting back into it after knee surgery and starting with a simple Test C 500/ wk and adding NPP 250/wk at week 5. Lots of old injuries so I want the recovery and joint assistance of NPP.

My previous cycles (10 years ago) I wasn't trying to cut any body fat so I didn't care about cardio.

I'm 35 232lbs at about 19% BF. I definitely want to add size but want to get my BF down to 10% as well.

I plateaued last year pre-injury and could not get my BF down or my muscle mass up with diet and training really dialed in. Hence the AAS to give me a boost.

I've been doing the chest, back, shoulder/leg, rest plan but just doing 15 minutes of cardio after weight training.

Wondering what you all would recommend to maximize this cycle for me.

Welderman

First if you are wanting to eat at a slight calorie deficit download myfitnesspal app. Don't try to guess at calories. 300-500 calories below will help with fat loss. 20 minutes of cardio 3-4 x a week is sufficient but you have to get your heart rate to around 60-70% of maximum and sustain it for the 20 minutes if your knees will allow you to. Keep protein at 300 grams daily. Others will chime in but this is a great start.

Bigandlean

First if you are wanting to eat at a slight calorie deficit download myfitnesspal app. Don't try to guess at calories. 300-500 calories below will help with fat loss. 20 minutes of cardio 3-4 x a week is sufficient but you have to get your heart rate to around 60-70% of maximum and sustain it for the 20 minutes if your knees will allow you to. Keep protein at 300 grams daily. Others will chime in but this is a great start.
That's the app I use for tracking. InBody says my BMR is right around 2200 cals. So If I'm eating right at 2200 cals I should be in a 300-500 deficit with the calorie expenditure from the workout right? Or is their a better way to estimate this?

Welderman

What I have always been told is you can subtract your cardio but don't try to factor in weightlifting. Start with 300 deficit and only increase if you are not getting results you want. Don't starve yourself. Keep us posted on your progress

suppsforlife

That's the app I use for tracking. InBody says my BMR is right around 2200 cals. So If I'm eating right at 2200 cals I should be in a 300-500 deficit with the calorie expenditure from the workout right? Or is their a better way to estimate this?
isn't the app considering BMR 2200 cals by calculating the amount of workout too?

suppsforlife

Supps I have been told by several experienced guys to not count strength training, just cardio. I'm just repeating the advice I got
good advice as you have bigger "window"
But good advice only if you're maintenance or cutting. those who want to bulk should count it up too. for bigger bulk, of course

Welderman

good advice as you have bigger "window"
But good advice only if you're maintenance or cutting. those who want to bulk should count it up too. for bigger bulk, of course
They did a study and like your top pros only burnt 200 calories on their leg day. Think that's the reasoning behind it, not that many calories burnt during weight training. It surprised me too. Sorry I am work so I couldn't really explain it earlier

suppsforlife

So during heavy lifting we don't really burn?
in fact we do burn calories, but as Welderman mentioned - not as much as you would think! It takes many hours of lifting weights to reach the 500 cals burns. Rarely does someone burns 500 cals from their workout of lifting weights alone.
That's why even with cardio it's best to get hr to 60-70% of max and maintain it.
that's true as long as you are searching to cut back and get those abs.

I don't do that weight lifting, do you?
Welderman, nobody lifts weight here :D

I recommend a 3 day on/1 day off cardio interval.

Cardio increases energy levels, encourages fat metabolism, increases the release of growth hormone and testosterone - two essential hormones for building muscle mass - and can help with mood stability. While too much cardio can make it difficult to put on muscle, 3-4 days a week of HIIT will cause your body to burn calories even when you are not working out, which helps an individual lose weight while simultaneously building muscle. You're not doing this as a marathon runner preparing for an endurance event - rather you should aim for high-intensity intervals periodized back in forth with weight training and rest time in between those sessions.

HGH.to

As long as you're 19% bf and want to go to 10% - is unlikely to have too much cardio. Plus, cardio doesn't really hurt gains as much as many people think. additionally, you could have cardio while lifting weights. There are lots of exercising with lighter weights more reps as cardio.