case007

Hi all
Im currently at the gym 5 times a week - standard split
Chest
Back
Shoulders
Arms and Calves
Legs
I throw in some abs inbetween sets throughout the week.

I have a couple of body parts that i feel need a little more attention - upper chest and shoulders for now.

I'm thinking about changing my workout split to PPL - that way i can get 2 Push Pull workouts in a 7 day period. I would probably do different exercises in the 2nd Push Pull workouts than the first - try and change things up a bit

What do you all think?

Or i could stick with the standard split i am doing but throw in an extra Chest or Shoulders Day - so something like this:
Chest
Back
Shoulders
Chest
Arms/Calves
Shoulders
Legs

HGH.to

are you changing the exercises weekly? I mean, during the chest training (for example) are you going for the same exercises or changing them occasionally?

case007

are you changing the exercises weekly? I mean, during the chest training (for example) are you going for the same exercises or changing them occasionally?
I tend to keep them the same for several weeks so as to monitor progress - either weight progression or number of reps. There is always some change if a piece of equipment is being used etc. But generally i like to keep it the same for a few weeks at the least

D

Deleted member 45086

Chest triceps.
Back biceps.
Shoulders and legs.
Rest day.
Repeat.
Have you tried this? Keeps you from going a whole week in-between.

case007

Chest triceps.
Back biceps.
Shoulders and legs.
Rest day.
Repeat.
How many exercises per body part would you do?
My split at the moment, a body part a day, allows me to do about 5 exercises per part, 5 sets per exercise.

D

Deleted member 45086

I do about the same amount of sets altogether. I'll do 15 sets of chest and 10-12 sets triceps. You can still do 5 exercises per part just cut the sets down to 3 per exercise. I always do my last set of each to failure, believe me it's plenty. About the only way you can hit each muscle twice a week and still allow for rest and growth.

HGH.to

Chest triceps.
Back biceps.
Shoulders and legs.
Rest day.
Repeat.
lol. same here. adding one cardio day at the end (lighter weights, more reps, full body)

saltyscrode

I have been doing an upper/lower split for several years now, and it has been working great. I rotate upper A, lower A; upper B, lower B. I am in the gym 4 days a week 2 days on 1day rest, 2 days on 2 days rest. Every body part gets worked 2x per week. (great frequency for me) The beauty of this method is that once you get used to it, it is very easy to auto regulate. if you are lacking in an area, it is easy to adjust to give those areas more attention, while maintaining strong points. Just another thing for you to consider, good luck mate.

D

Deleted member 45086

I have been doing an upper/lower split for several years now, and it has been working great. I rotate upper A, lower A; upper B, lower B. I am in the gym 4 days a week 2 days on 1day rest, 2 days on 2 days rest. Every body part gets worked 2x per week. (great frequency for me) The beauty of this method is that once you get used to it, it is very easy to auto regulate. if you are lacking in an area, it is easy to adjust to give those areas more attention, while maintaining strong points. Just another thing for you to consider, good luck mate.
I like the extra rest days, they are extremely important. Even when I do the 3 days lift and one day rest I always throw an extra rest day in every couple of weeks.

HGH.to

I like the extra rest days, they are extremely important. Even when I do the 3 days lift and one day rest I always throw an extra rest day in every couple of weeks.
lol. again we're the same here. it seems like my body needs it every couple of weeks and i really seem to benefit from it