A lighter note

Most of us OVER 40 guys and gals have spent countless hours in the gym...Some of it working out and some of it PEOPLE watching. We've also witnessed one fad after another. 

My question is: what fad do you remember that you either jumped on or just shook your head in disbelief..

For me, it was the HULk HOGAN fanny pack...I never went down that road, but remember in the early 80's, I worked at a gym and for some reason always found it FUNNY...Now the fanny pack is called a MAN PURSE...lol....and considered a joke..

also, why are men wearing spandex pants, with shorts over them and then benching? Am I missing something.....

any other fads?

Dolf

The guys wearing yoga pants is odd to me, but I chalk that up to a whole generation of beta male millennials.

Next is the top knot/man bun which is beta male millennials.

Finally was the fad a few years back where these idiots were doing movements on balls trying to balance. They would stand on a ball trying to balance while doing curls, overhead press, and even seen them doing squats.

Yea, I remember that one now.....standing on a bosu doing over head presses, curls etc....

Yea, I get the beta male, just weird one day you see a dude working out, pumping iron etc....a month later he's wearing some sort of yoga pants, but can't tell me how it helps...

also, I remember the working out in boots, mainly timberland, untied of course...LOL

Dolf

I laugh at these youngsters all the time as I'm sure they laugh at my old ass, but at least we all have one thing in common. Everyone at the gym is trying to better themselves. 

BobbyO190

The one at my gym that I just do not get is doing one set on a machine or station - taking a long breather, I guess to recover from the six to either light reps - then moving to a new lift and never returning to the previous.

Maybe this isn't a fad and maybe I am nuts and maybe someone will tell me why its the best path....I just don't get it and the reality is these guys never improve so I really don't get it.

And honestly they think I am nuts still doing 3 sets of 10 per lift like it's 1979 still but it's worked well for me so laugh away :)

Then again I am old, what do I know. Fun topic CT, thanks for the thread.

BobbyO190

The one at my gym that I just do not get is doing one set on a machine or station - taking a long breather, I guess to recover from the six to either light reps - then moving to a new lift and never returning to the previous.

Maybe this isn't a fad and maybe I am nuts and maybe someone will tell me why its the best path....I just don't get it and the reality is these guys never improve so I really don't get it.

And honestly they think I am nuts still doing 3 sets of 10 per lift like it's 1979 still but it's worked well for me so laugh away :)

Then again I am old, what do I know. Fun topic CT, thanks for the thread.

blastthru23

TRX. It came, then the gym switched out good equipment to accommodate TRX training. Then TRX is no longer popular. I gues it's ok for a beginner, but it was just another weird fad. Long live the dumb bells! 

Dudes in tights? I think they see guys like KaI Green and so on wearing them, so it becomes "the style".  Maybe they like that satin feel on their balls. Who knows. Maybe I'll just ask one of them. That could be fun :)

SemperFi

I humbly disagree with your feeling on TRX and those who incorporate suspension training. I triple dog dare you to give suspension training a go fro a few weeks. I bet you will have a different opinion of it once you see how tough it is and how strong you can become. Suspension training is beneficial for the beginner to the advanced and everyone in between. If anyone becomes proficient at it they have taken there fitness to a whole new level that will be directly transferred to their iron weight training. Almost every gym that I have been a part of in the last decade has a suspension training platform and I have seen some high ranking combat sport athletes use them religiously. I have seen these same people that have a lot less muscle development than you or I put up some huge numbers on the bench (225x50, 525x1, etc.). Numbers that I have never seen shared here. If may not be the best or even a recommended regimen for a bodybuilder but there are many different forms of strength, muscle development and raw power. Try Yoga.... you might be surprised how weak parts of your body are. 

No man can turn down a triple dog dare. ;)

SEMPER FI

Dolf

You broke etiquette and went straight to the triple dog dare!

I feel stupid because I hsve no clue what trx training is.

Dolf

I googled it.

It's just military style training. It won't puff you up like an old toad frog, but it will build explosive strength with lots of endurance. 

In blast's defense at this time in my life with my goals I wouldn't be happy if my gym removed weight equipment for that stuff.

calmb4dastorm

The fellas in tights...I like seeing the gents in them. Compression pants allow for such comfortable freedom of movement. I can tell a difference in my comfort level when I wear my baggy sweatpants  instead of my tights. 

Now people spend more money on their workout outfit than the entire gym membership, wow sure does make a difference...

I can see it now: xmas time, just get me workout gear, underarmor, nike etc...as long as its expensive!!! 

I generally make bets with myself about how long said stylish person will last in gym....2 -3 months tops!!!!!

siegmund

NOT ME MY MAN..

im in a pair.of ripped up sweats covered in mud. along with a pair of felt boots ,  (if winter)  or. dirty work boot.  white woman beaters that are brown but were white. , i just start going back and this me. , its not rhe cloths that make the man.  , but i know what you mean.  ,,,      

SemperFi

Frank is not human! The guy dips 2X his body weight +20lbs for reps. His bench press is off the shelf with chains!

[[{"fid":"36418","view_mode":"default","fields":{"format":"default"},"type":"media","attributes":{"alt":"Frank Medrano - TRAIN INSANE Calisthenics Workout!!!","class":"media-element file-default"},"link_text":null}]]

SEMPER FI

SemperFi

A fad I see becoming more and more popular these days with gym goers is negative criticism. You know the kind of person that critiques others for the way they dress, how they fix their hair, or how they train. Pretty hilarious actually. ;)

SEMPER FI

SemperFi

Dolf said:
</p><p>Everyone at the gym is trying to better themselves. </p><p>
</p><p>That's how I like to roll! +3 Dolf</p><p>On a daily basis I have to tell the negative committee in my head to sit theirs asses down and shut the fuck up. If I don't feed it, it will starve to death.</p><p> </p><p>SEMPER FI</p><p> </p><p> </p>

blastthru23

I have to attribute my flexibility to years of hardcore yoga. I used to do Ashtanga Yoga vinyasa series for up to 3 hours a day. Good shit!