Any Thoughts on

calmb4dastorm

Foot placement when doing leg extensions and leg press? I have read varying opinions on whether or not toes in vs toes out is beneficial. I have read that toe placement during these movements can affect the knees. Nothing concrete one way or the other though. What works for you?

blastthru23

I like to change foot/toe position with both leg press and extension. I find I can hit the different muscle of the quads doing so. One technique (I guess its a technique, maybe its a method...anyways) I use on leg press is to change foot position with each set, ends up almost like a rest-pause set of sorts, but it doesn't end. First, I'll have a wide stance, feet parallel, next set wide stance toes pointed out, next set narrow stance feet parallel, next set toes in and touching. Each set can target a different muscle primarily. I find that the toes touching nails the tear drop really good. Also, I place my feet on the platform such that my knees don't go past my toes on the negative portion of the movement.

I do something similar on the extensions as well. I feel I can consciously engage a certain muscle more depending on the direction my toes are pointing. Unlike the leg press, I can engage the VL better when my toes are pointed in, and the tear drop when pointed out for example. Often, I use lighter weight and higher reps when doing leg extensions to take the tension off the knee, plus I get a fantastic pump.

Big Nasty

I now use knee wraps on leg press which has alleviated my knee strain and I can go extremely heavy. I keep my toes only slightly pointed out only because that is where i feel the least pressure on my knees at least for me. Although I like what Blast said about doing them all angles which I think we should all do to target every and any way that we can. Leg extensions are brutal on my knees no matter the foot/toe placement so I only go light weight and high reps. Strange I know as I go really super heavy on leg press but for whatever reason leg extensions are very painful for me unless I keep it very light. 

blastthru23

I think the focal point of the weight being cradled between the instep of the foot and the tibia puts a certain strain on the patellar tendon?

calmb4dastorm

My footing more often on leg press. For me, I like being able to target the VL and my teardrop that way. BN, I'm using wraps and braces during all leg movements to combat this damn arthritis. The extension does seem to burden my knees more so than pressing but oh how I love getting the pump! The lighter weight does indeed help minimize the knee strain for me as well. Here lately I have been trying to increase weight to get past a plateau. Slowly but surely I'm seeding more and more improvement in my strength despite my aching joints. The almost daily rain we get in these parts is playing a huge factor in my joint issues of late. Before the rainy season I had forgotten that I have osteoarthritis. Lol

blastthru23

Now im wondering how nandolones may have a positive effect on arthritis. Man, this shit is never ending... wonder what a female "trt" dose of deca would look like...

fulldisclosure

No such thing as a TRT dose of deca for anyone, male or female. Deca does not convert to testosterone nor does it increase testosterone levels in the body. Even considering it for long term female use is foolish and plain dangerous. Why would a mod even throw something like that out there? SMFH

calmb4dastorm

Is a staple in my arsenal for that very reason. My first injectable cycle consisted of Deca....I blew up like a damn puffer fish! Don't get it twisted, now, I was cute puffy. ROTFLMAO!!!! Seriously though, my cheeks were so round..my face and everything was full. Granted, at that time I was at a much higher body fat percentage. I was so tired of pain meds..the only thing that gave me relief was Prednisone but my doc would only prescribe it when my pain was unbearable. For some reason, narcotics do not do anything for me except get rid of headache smh...so I opted to run Deca at a dose of 50mg weekly. Did it help with joint pain? Absolutely! 

blastthru23

Im running 100mg/week deca and my right shoulder never gives me problems, at all. Ok, FD, maybe "trt dose" is not technically correct; call it cruise dose, or therapeutic dose :p

M

Mister A

For those of you altering the angle of the knee joint to focus on different parts of the quadricep, do you also alter the angle of the elbow joint to focus on different parts of the triceps?

calmb4dastorm

Please post your question about the banned member in general chat. I am one of few females here and am attempting to bring new topics of discussion to our small area of the site. Feel free to input on the topic above, but please don't hijack this thread with banning questions and concerns. Please and thank you in advance for your understanding.

blastthru23

By virtue of change grip width and the direction of the palm with respect to grip, the angle of the elbow changes with respect to the shoulder. Elbows will be closer or further from the torso thus triggering more muscle activation of a given head of the triceps to some degree.  At least thats how i feel it.

M

Mister A

But that doesn't change the actual angle of the elbow, just the angle of the humerus in relation to the torso. Which is interesting considering the elbow and knee are both hinge joints that operate on a single plane in a single direction. The quadriceps and triceps are very similar (a study of human evolution will reveal just how similar they once were). They are both extensor muscles, the purpose of which is to extend the knee and elbow joint, respectively. A thorough understanding of the muscles involved in the extension of the joints will lead to the knowledge that a fully contracted quadriceps (and triceps) as well as a fully lengthened quadriceps (and triceps) are not only possible, but exclusively achievable by order of the restrictions of the joint itself. To say it in simpler terms: the quadriceps is only maximally contracted and lengthened by ensuring the integrity of the joint which it extends (the knee). Once you begin angling your feet on leg extensions or turning your toes inward on leg presses, not only do you jeopardize the structure of the knee joint, but you decrease your ability to maximally execute through a full range of motion. And it is through a full range of motion - and only through a full range of motion - that stimulation of various heads within the quadriceps (or triceps, or any other muscle group) is possible.

These muscles are not separate. They are interconnected. Some of them has more action at the fully lengthened position. Some have more action in the fully contracted position. That's how muscles work.

Maximum development of a muscle is the result of optimal contraction throughout the entire range of the muscle.

calmb4dastorm

The way you explain it. Some of these magazines need you on their payroll! Their articles are confusing the hell out of me!!!! One week I'm reading to not angle toes....the next week Im reading that toes should be angled. Makes my head hurt trying to sift through which way is best to maximize growth. 

strong

That's why Mr. A should be writing for Magazines or something. His explanations actually paints a picture. I always say I'm not a great reader but when I read his Posts (actual lessons) Its Clear...