Approach to training in a busy gym

blastthru23

I am a member of gym that gets quite busy during the time that I train, or at least 3 or 4 days per week it's quite busy.  I used to get frustrated when a bench, machine, rack, or a set of dumbs weren't available, even within the range I was seeking to work (say between 30 and 40 lbs for example. No 30's no 35's nor 40's etc.).  

For me, training while frustrated, well, is frustrating and ends up very ineffective. I decided to adapt to the situation I often faced by being creative and fluid, adding more exercises to stay warm, and of course pumped without pre-exhausting a muscle group. 

The first step I take is to pre-plan my routine for any given body region being trained. While planning my workouts, I visualize the lay out of the floor, where what piece of equipment is in which location, and how that maps on to what I plan to accomplish.  Then, I plan my workouts so that I can get as much done on one piece of equipment. For example, if I am planning to work back, I will do as many exercises with the pull down, wide grip lat pull drop sets, reverse grip pulls, narrow grip, and single arm pulls. Since the pull up bar is right there, I may super with chins.  I've just accomplished 4-5 exercises without moving to another station.

Now, according to my planned routine, bent over rows are next, both over and under hand grip, with deads either preceding or coming after. I can do all of these at one station. However, all the racks are occupied. Well, damn, what do I do? Do I just sit there and wait? Hell no! Gotta keep going! I take a look around the area of the rack for something I could do to keep the flow of the training session, and take a look at my list of exercises seeing if any could come before the rows and deads. Hmmm, well, I suppose I could knock out single arm rows right quick and the dumbs are just steps away from the rack. If it appears that one of the racks might come free soon, I may choose to do lower weight than I have planned, just to stay active. Once the rack opens up, I snag it hella quick.  As an aside, if someone is fucking around on their phone, I will respectfully ask how many sets they have remaining. 9 times out of 10, they are magically done. Cool, leave the bar racked, I'll handle it, thanks bro! My work out continues, and I'm warm and ready.

Another way I plan my routines is to do exercises where one piece of equipment is adjacent to the one I'm using. At my gym, the T-bar is next to chest supported row. I can bust out t-rows and simple throw my towel over to the next station when complete. If someone is diligently working at the CSR, then I can choose to do another set or two, or bust some more SARs while I wait for the CSR. The idea is to keep moving, adapting as I go instead of getting upset (especially when I'm running high dose of gear, can get a little aggressive, you know what I mean;)). Once I complete the two different grip positions on the CSR, I can move elegantly to a flat bench to do barbell pull-overs for controlled slow reps for 4-5 sets. This exercise is delicious due to the stretch at the beginning of the movement (since I have ridiculous shoulder mobility, I can get the weight all the way to the floor behind giving a tasty stretch for the lats).

By this time, the population on the floor has diminished greatly. The rest of the routine unfolds as the flower of a morning glory at first light of day. The finishing exercises are accomplished in a machine gun fashion, crushing each in rapid succession, sometimes leaving extra time for abs or some cardio. In addition, I've added some extra sets, extra exercises, and feel accomplished and in a great head space.

The upshot is plan routines in advance in way that you can use a station to its fullest extent to accomplish the task. Take into account the layout of the equipment in the gym so that you can move from one station to the other without having to wander from one end to the other to finish your routine. If a station is taken, do something else nearby to keep warm, to keep the pace and flow of the session, perhaps working an area or muscle that needs a little more attention, rear delts or the tibialis anterior are good ones for example.

And always remember: Prior proper planning prevents piss poor performance!

Dolf

I found another gym! That shit used to piss me off. Especially when an asshole was texting or talking more than working.

blastthru23

All the gyms in my area are pretty much the same, texting techies are all over the place like meat bees on discarded ribs at a bbq ( there is one called the Dungeon, it's hella small and no parking; it's geared for power lifters). I, now, simply walk up, sweat dripping, shirt soaked, and politely but sternly ask how many more sets you got buddy? Answer is almost always the same, Oh, I'm done, or just one more (which really amounts to roughly 3-5 reps all sloppy like).  Annoying, yes. But, when you live in a big city, well you gotta be bigger I guess, and come with a plan, and a bit of an attitude ;)

B

bigmurph

The whole gym situation sent me over the edge around 2yrs ago. I was missing workouts because of the hours I was working and then when I would make it to the gym it was a mad house.

I finnally decided to purchase equipment for the house. At first it was just a bench and a rack got it very cheap and its all quality products. So I was splitting my time between home and the gym but I kept buying this here that there and eventually I have everything I need except I could use a lat pull down and more weight. You always need more weight.

I recommend the home gym to anyone that has some extra space. I now almost never miss a workout. I have much respect for all the guys that go to the gym and battle for equipment.

Blast I love the kill them with kindness routine to get them off the equipment. I couldn't stand seeing someone on the smith machine with guys waiting and there texting someone back and forth not even focused.

Good luck and good gains brothers 

SemperFi

bigmurph said:
</p><p> You always need more weight.</p><p>
</p><p>I will trade every plate, every dumbbell and every band for more effort. With enough effort I don't need traditional forms of weight. That way over simplifies the point I am making but I think ya'll can smell what I am stepping in. ;) </p><p>I agree with bigmurph. If you are committed to the lifestyle you should consider slowly adding to your home equipment selection. You will be surprised the deals you will find and stumble across from time to time. Besides who wouldn't want to enjoy more time at home doing something they love to do?!</p><p>SEMPER FI</p><p> </p><p> </p>

blastthru23

If I had the space, I'd do it! I live in apartment on the 4th floor, so maybe dumbs would work, even so, I'd be hard pressed to find a place to put them! I remember that TKC bought a fair amount of equipment from a school that was doing a remodel of their gym, or something of that nature. For now, it's the gym for this dude, and whichever way I can make the time spent there most efficient, that's what I gotta do ;)

SemperFi

Everyones situation is different and it is very easy for some of us who have different living arrangements to take them for granted. We sometimes forget that some people live in very large cities with high rise living accommodations or simply have space limitations.

SEMPER FI

blastthru23

Believe me, more than once I've thought of putting some equipment on the carport, but that may cause the damn thing to collapse. Had some 40 lb dumbs on the porch, but some ass stole them! What the hell? Lol! City livin brother, it's got ups and some downs, "I just say fuck it keep on rollin'" Kiiara

Warpedlifter

That's why I train at oddball times when nobody is there...well very few people at least. Avoid all the clowns and not have to wait on things like people doing forearm curls on the bench or shrugs or curls in the power rack.

If possible just adjust your schedule. We also changed our days so we don't bench when everyone else does. 

blastthru23

I used to train early morning, but work changed. Shit man, the gym I go to (every gym around here too) everyone is training everything every day. Once I changed my perspective and attitude towards it all, things became easier, more fluid in a sense.  Fuck it, more se and more reps, even if I have to be an assertive prick once in awhile lol. Cali people no like the assertive folks, for some reason they get all butt hurt easily. Not my problem. Use it or move your ass out the way!

little bit of an older thread I guess but I'll throw my two cent's. What I do is join gyms with 24 hour access and you get your own code to enter and whatnot. I live in a smaller city though so I can get away with it. Also, I've been slowly building up my gym at home. Got a bench with plenty of weights now, a curl bar, one of those blue situp ball things, a couple dumbbells and just bought a resistance band. The blue situp ball gets in the way the most, kid moves it around and messes with it. Bench is in the garage and the other stuff has a little corner in my living room. I'm kind of lucky living situation wise but if you can try going to a smaller gym with 24 hour access, might help...maybe. That can be frustrating, I hate people.

Dolf

I hate certain people. That's people that think solely of themselves, and have zero common courtesy for others. Some in this new generation of twenty somethings are the worst. Don't rerack weights. Leave dumbells all over the place. Use one machine to work on and another machine to hold their gym bag and shaker cup. If this 44yr old man with a bad back can bend over to pick stuff up, so can a 22yr old with a good back. I could go on b.c. and on but I'm sure everyone here knows the rest of the story.

Yeah the generations keep getting worse and worse. My own generation pisses me off a lot. I'm in my 30's and some of the people I meet my age drive me nuts. Bunch of commies lol haha

siegmund

I found a private gym it's a old pig iron gym owned by a high school principal/power lifter it has all I need old school and you get a key all for 30$ a month I'll try to upload a pic or 2
wait till you see the crowds lol