Are carbs really bad?

JARHEAD2

Ok so I know what is typical of society today & the only diet that everyone says works, but I'd like to ask you as an individual your thoughts. In the late 80's early 90's, all I remember is low fat diets which for bodybuilders & those active in sports usually accompanied with high carbs. 

Are carbs really bad?

SemperFi

Absolutely not. Carbs are necessary for healthy human existence. On the flip side...... the high processed foods that the western diet call carbs are a prepackaged convenient slow death. If we take a look at diet history prepackaged foods were very rare before 1950.... when did we see overall health begin to decline and waist sizes begin to increase? Coincidence?

SEMPER FI

JARHEAD2

I chose my wording carefully as I was fishing:)

I knew how you'd answer.  A friend of mine just came back from Central America & he asked a man over there how they ate as much as they do, but the majority are not overweight. The man told him that they eat everything fresh!! It makes a difference for sure

SemperFi

That is the common way of thinking and is pretty much a myth do to the lack of knowledge. A better understanding of carbohydrate sources is a key to a more healthy lifestyle and weight management. Active individuals have very different nutritional requirements than those who live a sedentary lifestyle.  Meaning if you are inactive your need for carbohydrates are much less. Short of a keto diet our brain and central nervous system need carbs to function properly so to say they are bad because you are fat is very misleading.

I personally believe the over consumption of added sugars is the leading cause of obesity and insulin resistance when combined with an inactive lifestyle.

SEMPER FI

J

Jeromes

the more

insulin resistant you become

so yes if your fat carbs will make

you fat, it is a generalization I could

expand much More on but I hate typing oN a phone 

JARHEAD2

Agreed!

I have read several studies that have shown very little difference in weight loss results between a low fat & low carb diet. The main difference was the fact that different bodies are genetically different & some are more sensitive & some are less sensitive to certain things including carbs. I will note that in neither diet was the presence of dirty carbs such as pop, sweets & etc....

J

Jeromes

There are no such things as essential carbs thats a fact,Fiber should be considered one but for now its not.My point was generalized but best guys bulking up at 15% fat they will put on more fat eating a higher carb intake.Insulin sensitivity is correlated with body fat yeah if I want to get technical we can talk about sweet potatoes, brown rice etc and the rate at which insulin spikes due to more complex carbs.Simple as I put it is if your fat then yes carbs will make you fat,Your better off transitioning into a lower carb diet thats real life applicable and has been done.For out they are already to fat to bulk, yes we are not all bodybuilders but taking a page from their playbook they know how to use the body.Ask any coach if your already at 14-15% body fat you really are gonna have a shitty  bulk which you will pay for when you think you gained 20lbs of muscle diet down and realize it was more like 3lbs.Compadre,My job has been compared to what professional athletes go through working 8-12 hours a day and i don't need as much carbs as some of these guys claim they need just to "function" after training lol.I do what I do and the train like  animal if some of these guys were in my shoes they would assume they need 1000 grams of carbs.People over estimate their nutrionanal requirements.The more muscle you have the more carbs you will burn and looking around here most

do not fall into that category.

SemperFi

I am a ketosis junkie so I know from first hand experience that cutting carbs is a highly effective way to cutting fat. I remain ope n minded to the idea that utilizing carbs in a strategic manner is just as effective to fat loss because I know that a healthy lifestyle requires balance. As a beginning personal trainer I work from the idea that for something to be successful (diet, training, supplementaction) it must be practical, simple and duplcatable over and over again. The idea that restricting all carbs is they key to fat loss is an arguing point that will never be resolved because I have seen both approaches work successfully. If we tell someone that has been on a western diet for 30-40 to make drastic changes the results are going to be unpredictable just like the published research on the subject. A more reasonable approach and one that will be more successful for the masses is to take an approach that advocates small changes over time. Adult onset type 2 diabetes and insulin resistance can be corrected through diet and excercise. Insulin resistance is very common in individuals and can be easily corrected in the majority of cases simply by removing added sugars and concentrated sugars that are found in fruit juices. Not all calories are equal and neither are all carbs. Selecting the correct carbs and eliminating the main culprits to the condition are simple duplicatble steps that anyone can take.

A variety of diets can lead to fat loss so I remain open minded and choose not to align myself to a one size fits all way of thinking. One thing that certainly stands out in all of the research that I have read is that reducing carbs and increasing protein intake in every case is a solid recipe to fat loss.

SEMPER FI

Dolf

Sorry, but you had more chances than most. I told everyone when I came back I was taking a more light hearted approach, and I have, but if what you bring to the table is more negative than positive you're not welcomed here. Blame it on zanex, tren, or whatever else you want, but fact is as a man or woman you must take responsibility for your own actions, and the recourse those actions bring upon you.

SemperFi

That is a solid approach that will benefit everyone every time!

I just watched a documentary on a Central African tribe that consume over 50% of their daily calories from wild honey and they all were skinny as a rail!

SEMPER FI

Outlawthing

I have lost weight using both  but have not been able to use a keto diet effectively I need some carbs  to feel normal and not be gased all the time carb cycling works well for me 

JdDaniel01

I definitely have the most success with carb cycling. i get almost all my carbs from rice and oats. I even had a lot of success this past spring switching to white rice. I would carb cycle for three weeks out of the month and sandwich an absolute bare minimum of carbs for one week. Still adding in steamed green veggies for dinner. After priming with the cycling, that torture week really seemed to suck off the blubber like lipo...

JdDaniel01

You can also utilize cauliflower for an amazing variety of carb substitutions. Boil or steam it super soft and then treat it like mashed potatoes and it takes a lot of that comfort food craving away...

maybe im jumping in a little late but what does carb cycling mean. Im currently p268/c158/f52 sp 50% protein 30% carb and 20% fat...trying to figure out if thats right...want to lean bulk soooooo bad.