Bacteriostatic water; make your own

blastthru23

Lately, I have noticed that the cost bacteriostatic water has shot up in price, drastically. It wasn't too long ago when a 30ml bottle cost as little as $3.99, now I am seeing a 10ml vial costing $16.00! This is ridiculous once you find out what it takes to make it yourself. An 8oz. bottle of benzyl alcohol (BA) is about $15.00 on amazon.com. A 10 pack of 10ml vials is about $10. I'm sure you can get them even cheaper if you look around. One gallon of distilled water is $0.99. The benzyl alcohol is the substance that keeps the water sterile and is used at .9%-.10% concentration, or 1/10 of a ml. Here is the recipe and how to make 10ml. To make more, just use multiplication. (for 30ml, multiply by 3)

What you need:
1) Benzyl Alcohol
2) Distilled water
3) 10ml syringe (or a 3ml since most of you probably have those already) to measure water
4) 1ml insulin syringe (with any gauge needle) to measure benzyl alcohol
5) sterile, and sealed 10ml or 30ml vial
6) 23g needle to vent the vial (you stick the needle into the rubber stopper of the sealed vial to let the air out as you add the water and the benzyl alcohol to the vial)

Procedure
1) wipe the top of the sealed vial with an alcohol swab
2) insert the 23g needle into the sealed vial
3) draw 10ml of distilled water using the 10ml syringe (or the 3ml; you can do the math)
4) insert the needle into the vented vial and add the water. Make sure the venting needle is inserted into the stopper just far enough to enter the vial. If you push it to far the water will get pushed out of the venting needle
5) using the insulin syringe, draw the benzyl alcohol to the first mark, which is one-tenth of a ml, and add this to the vented vial.

You have just made your own BAC water for a fraction of the cost. The initial investment in the BA, and a some vials is about the cost of two 10ml vials from any online source these days. You'll have enough BA to last a lifetime pretty much!

ashop

Very informative, helpful post. The price of bac water has rose significantly over the last year.

SemperFi

BAC is so cheap I just buy it from a good vendor. At my age a lifetime supply of BAC is NOT that much. :cool:

blastthru23

Idk where you're getting it... I used to pay $4 for 30ml, now I'm seeing 10ml for something in the neighborhood of $12. It's fricken water with a drop of BA in a 10ml vial for Pete's sake :)