Bro splits and why you shouldn't do them

SemperFi

WL, I am glad to see you have great confidence in what you are doing. If it works for you and yours stay with it and when your thinking changes (and it will) follow the new path with the same passion. Life is funny that way.

SEMPER FI

SemperFi

WL I am neggin you brother... now you are being disrespectful just because you are being disagreed with. Since there is not a mod around to set it straight I will tell you that bullshit is not going to be allowed on MG. We have strong debates- always. We have differences of opinion- always.  But we do not openly and purposely disrespect another member.... period!

Time for everyone to stop trying to prove or disprove something that cannot be proved or disproved.

“The greatest victory is that which requires no battle.”Sun Tzu

SEMPER FI

csancheezy

how discourse works is if you come out of right field and start making claims like they are hard scientific fact and not up for dispute when varying resources exist that may propose a diff concept of the same idea or different claim, then the burden of proof is on you padnah. But since you have decided to present yourself with such eloquence and class I will gladly bow down as your rhetoric and concepts are far too lofty for someone like me who can h-h-h-hardly read the Muscle & Fitness. I also have a few other magazines I like, they are: National Geographic, Good Housekeeping, and Cigar Aficionado. Maybe we should make a new thread so me and you can talk about other good reads.

Image result for retarded smile            ~~~~~Yours with Love,  Cheezy...

M

Mister A

I never said soreness was a good indicator of growth.

The consistent increase in the size of my muscles has been an adequate indication of growth.

The condescending tone of your reply and the narrow-mindedness of your beliefs are good indicators of your character.

Warpedlifter

Oh gosh I was negged  lol. I get told I'm wrong and I defend myself and I'm negged.

Did you bother to do any research?

Longer-lasting muscle soreness that occurs after exercising is called “DOMS”, or Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. As the name implies, its onset is delayed, usually by 24 to 72 hours and takes longer to subside than short-term muscle failure.

The pain from DOMS can last anywhere from a couple of days to a whole week.

DOMS is most common with beginners or people who have had a lot of time off form training. When beginners experience DOMS they take the pain as a sign of an effective workout and an indicator that they’ve done enough work to make their muscles grow. As weeks of their training pass their DOMS becomes less and less after each workout. When the DOMS completely subsides they think that their workout has become ineffective and look for new ways of training to produce muscle soreness.

But DOMS is not an indicator of muscle growth, it’s simply a reaction to a training stimulus that the body is not accustomed to. You can have a very intense, high volume workout without any pain the next day and this workout will trigger muscle growth.

Resistance weight training stimulates muscle protein synthesis which results in muscle hypertrophy, but there is no pain associated with muscle protein synthesis or hypertrophy.

Warpedlifter

SemperFi....neg away brother I returned the favor. I didn't disrespect anyone. He said to provide my scholarly resources without doing ANY research of his own or offering any insigit.

Prove me wrong

Titanings

I think this got way out of hand, and a lot of us are saying the same things just in different ways. Let me explain:

Warped you are a powerlifter. Your number one goal is strength training to increase your bench, squat, and deadlift. So therefore you are on a schedule that cycles and is made to constantly do progressive overload on your muscles to increase those 3. Do you still need mass as a powerlifter, dam straight!....but its NOT your primary focus, strength is. So what does that mean? Bro splits simply doesn't work for you, you need a cycle of progressive overload and that's fine.

Now for most of the rest of these guys they are more into bodybuilding (me being one of them). Their number one goal is to put on muscle mass. They are not worried about benching 700 pounds, they are worried about one thing hypertrophy (breaking down) of the muscle to build more muscle. So for them they have to focus on every single body part to keep them equal, and it takes a lot to hypertrophy every muscle in just the back in a single workout. This requires a lot of work on every single muscle in the body. Therefore most of the time bro splits work great for them, with adding in double days in a week on specific body parts to bring them up to "par" with the rest of their body. Because in the end their number one goal is muscle MASS, not strength.

So in conclusion do powerlifters and bodybuilders get sore? yes we all do when doing progressive overload. Is it wrong for mister A to have 12 days between legs.... well that may be excessive for some but he may have his legs much more developed than the rest of his body due to genetics and every 12 days is all he needs. Does doing body parts multiple times a week develop more muscle....for dam sure on natural lifters (but last I checked most ppl here were NOT natty). AAS users have protein synthesis 7 days a week, 24 hours a day to every muscle while on cycle. Therefore bro splits can work just fine for someone like me who only has a lil over an hour to get a hardcore workout in every day due to family, work, life, children, etc.

So in conclusion WL when it comes to training for powerlifting you know your shit! Nobody is questioning that. Just remember not to question others because their goal is different than yours and they train differently than you, especially when we all are saying pretty much the same thing just in different ways.

csancheezy

WL., first response when using Bing. 

http://relentlessgains.com/is-muscle-soreness-a-sign-of-an-effective-workout-growth/

Relentless Gains website, no sources listed under the article, real in depth research there. If this is the sources you are referencing then it does not help your case. I know copypasta when I see it.

Titanings

Me thinks there is too much testosterone flying around in here!.......*crickets*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIJ85VCsok8

SemperFi

I am not on testosterone. I am on MENT and DHT. Neither of which raise total testosterone levels. ;))

SEMPER FI

SemperFi

WL,

I do not need to prove you wrong brother. You have your belief and I have mine. They can both coexist. Trying to be right is not my goal and never will be. Proving you wrong is not a good use of my time because what you believe has no bearing on who I am or how I act. I confused why you think you have to defend yourself. Everyone was posting their view points and the thread was going great.

I know what disrespect looks like and reads like so don't try and bullshit me. You were trying to be a smart ass with the muscle and fitness comments because you felt unsettled and lashed out, Thats typical human nature. Unfortunately is was being disrespectful and you know it. You can't fool an old man who has walked in your shoes more miles than you can think about pup. I didn't take offense to it but I wanted to make sure it was nipped in the bud before it progressed into more obvious disrespectful comments which would lead to a mod needing to take action. It's better to police ourselves.

I applaud you for providing the information that you shared but now I will relieve myself of this topic as I see you are so focused on being right which is much different than the reason I am here.

Good luck, great gains and have a swift recovery.

SEMPER FI

strong

I have read this whole thread a few times. Its still a good thread but WL, You were being disrespectful with the Muscle& Fitness comment. Your passion is up which is great, Just remember that we all have personal experience.  I have played all sports including Boxing. There is no better conditioned athlete than a boxer IMO. I trained with many and yes we get sore.

No one on this site wants to prove you wrong, We are grown ass people. Don't forget that you are talking with men that have served this country with their lives at stake, Some of these men have walked,/ hiked 15 miles a day in unthinkable heat with 60 to 80 lb packs on their back holding heavy ass weapons. They may know about conditioning, Maybe they don't but they sure do understand respect...

Take it down a notch cuz...

SemperFi

Warpedlifter said:
</p><p>If you do something you aren't used to doing or haven't done in awhile you will get sore.</p><p>
</p><p>Genetics and predisposition play a big role.</p><p> </p><p>SEMPER FI</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p>

SemperFi

Man... my conditioning must be in shambles. In fact it must suck balls because I am sore after every 2-4 hour training session I abuse my body with for the sole purpose of feeding my obsession just to leave the gym and go spar with men half my age (some professionals) for another hour to hour and half.

I guarantee you that your level of conditioning has little to do with muscle soreness. Adaptability is what reduces soreness more than anything else (except gear ;)). You can take the best conditioned triathlete in the world and have them spend a day with me and I GUARANTEE they will be sore several days after. Why? It isn't their conditioning level. Their conditioning has to be at the elite level. It is because they are doing things they have never done before and their muscles are responding to that new stimulation. New muscle fibers are being activated and damaged to the point of soreness that require repair. Which in turn leads to new muscle growth. 

Stay open minded and don't let yourself get stuffed in a box. 

SEMPER FI

blastthru23

At the end of the day, when the dust has cleared, lacerations bandaged, and belly full, it's not necessarily when you did it, but how you did it with the time given to do the task. 

Most of what we do as a community is so much dependent on the individual; research findings more or less point in a direction, but it may or may not be the most efficient for a given subject or individual. The game isn't so much about being absolutely right about a given concept, but adding the concept into discussion, perhaps to see if others find that such concept agrees with their own experience writ large or at one time in their experience. Every body is different and there is no singular approach. 

Though some heat was generated from some friction, there are interesting points on both sides, and some notions that I personally wasn't aware of became part of my knowledge base. So, thank you WL, cheezy, and SF. I love the passion, and excitement in conversation. Nothing like some chest pounding and head butting to bring out some good stuff to ponder. 

In my opinion, y'all are some kickass dudes

SemperFi

Brother WL,

I have done a lifetime of research. I was doing this before you were born. That's not arrogance. That just means I have had a lot more time to make more mistakes than you and learn from them. And I do not completely disagree with you but my education and experience cannot fully agree with you either. 

Intermediate muscle soreness and DOMS are two separate beasts. Each person has a different predisposition for DOMS. What makes you sore may not necessarily cause the same reaction in me everything else being equal. Nobody can argue that at some point there is diminishing returns regarding muscle damage and how it relates to soreness but nobody knows for sure what that point is. 

Please quote your sources and give credit to the original author. I have read that article several times over the last couple of years. Plagiarism is a violation of forum rules.

SEMPER FI

siegmund

no need for a mod here. ,,   good post. i think. , men police there self. as said.   ...have a good day. 

sorry i been mia. , but got a little busy ( thank odin)   and im whooped. , spun what ever.  , work is a hole seperate beast than working out.  ...im sure that could create a topic. ..

B

Burrr

Been away for a while, ready to jump back into the gym with my almost bro-split push pull legs routine.

Nice change for the push pull shovels of snow routine that had me aching for a few months.