Busted ass knees...

Anabol-Steroids

I ain't no spring chicken and it's only getting worse.  For the past year now my left knee in particular (although the right feels not far behind) has been giving me issues.  I started running a lot last year, or a lot more than usual and I think that might have been the culprit, besides obvious wear and tear. Being a stubborn old mule I want to try and work around this issue as opposed to give in and go get some kind of surgery which you know will be the first f'ing thing they recommend and then you're rarely ever the same again.

No longer looking to be massive so I just want my legs to somewhat keep up with the rest of my body so that I don't look like the guy that skips legs every week and is is gonna snap an ankle if I step the wrong way. lol

What workouts would you guys recommend to help maintain while taking it as easy on the knee joint as possible.  Keep in mind that my real goal is to strengthen around my knee as much as possible without putting too much further strain on the ligaments and tendons and to keep my ass away from surgery before I'm on wrong side of 50.  

Can't wait to hear some advice.  

SenseiMiagi

Throw leg extensions away, not needed for your goals anyway.  Id stay with squats, but maybe try 3/4 depth.  High rep sets on everything (20+).  Leg sled, and a lot of hamstring work.  If only wanting to keep moderate leg shape, this should be adequate.  Light weight, high rep, and spend a lot of time warming up.

Dolf

X2 with Miagi...if it doesn't feel right then don't do it.

Are you using knee wraps, and are you taking sups like tumeric and glucosamine with chondroitin and msm? Fish oil in high amounts also help joint issues. 

Anabol-Steroids

Much appreciated brother.  That is generally what I have been doing and focusing more on higher reps and exactly what you said, 3/4 depth squats.  I'll give the leg sled a little more of a try and would like to hear any other unique workouts that may not be on the usual menu.  I think sometimes you can become a creature of habit and when introduced, or reminded, of some other workouts that my have been neglected then you find yourself pleasantly surprised by the effectiveness.  Cheers Sensei! 

Anabol-Steroids

Hey Dolf...yep on most of the above.  Taking the sups but I'll be honest, not using the wraps, and you know what's funny, I haven't even given them a thought in forever.  That's exactly why I wanted to post this.  Gonna grab some wraps asap.  Thanks for bringing that up buddy