Chest Routine

Twizted

I have been trying to focus on bringing my chest up some because it seems to be lagging behind the rest of my muscles. This forum has loads of body building experience so I was curious what everyone's favorite chest exercises are? I know I can use google and find plenty of information but I would like to hear what you guys are doing to build up your chest. I think I have identified part of my problem, I am prone to rolling my shoulders forward and caving my chest in during lifts vs pulling my shoulders back and sticking my chest out.

Welderman

Twisted there are several great chest building exercises. Incline bench, regular bench, dips, cables, butterfly machine, and they all build. Usually if you run into stalls in growth it's diet. Bump carbs and protein up. Don't overtrain. Heavy hard tricep workouts will really help increase bench. Plenty of food, plenty of rest to repair is my 2 keys to growth.

I have been trying to focus on bringing my chest up some because it seems to be lagging behind the rest of my muscles. This forum has loads of body building experience so I was curious what everyone's favorite chest exercises are? I know I can use google and find plenty of information but I would like to hear what you guys are doing to build up your chest. I think I have identified part of my problem, I am prone to rolling my shoulders forward and caving my chest in during lifts vs pulling my shoulders back and sticking my chest out.
I have a few favorites, but the one that I find to be most beneficial for my clients is the incline press.

The incline press strengthens your shoulders in all directions by engaging both your front and back muscles. As an added bonus, it also works on strengthening your core which is largely neglected during upper body workouts like benching and military pressing.

BodyGear

benching is favorite. but it doesn't mean is most beneficial though... i always assume - if is hardest to do, then is most beneficial for you specifically. due to untrained muscle groups

otfjoey300

Pullovers, variations of cables really give me the cuts, my pushing movements really put on the mass, you can variate almost every chest movement somehow ; I like supersetting flat dumbbell flies with bench press, you only need to spin yourself around on the bench to do successful supersets. Also, make sure you’re maxing out every once in a while, with equipment or spotter, of course. Forced reps and assisted reps help me huge. Also learning to control tempo and feeling every inch of that movement throughout sets of 60-80% 80-90% I practice paused reps. Really brings up my max numbers. I apply this to legs and back as well

otfjoey300

Sit sideways on incline press hammer strength machine and do one armed press pushing towards your inner chest, as a finishing push exercise before going into flies…. they’re humbling .. lol

Alexdb2022

My chest has been exploding lately! My favorite are any flies I get a serious pump except I do them more in a pressing motion to keep stress off my tendons being pulled! Since I have ditched flat bb press I have gotten such better pumps.

Gainz.

My chest was really underdeveloped for a long time. Only just started to grow the last few months. For me my main problem was mind muscle connection. I was doing every chest exercise under the sun. But nothing really helped.
So what I found was doing a fly variation with bands. (Pretty light bands, red or green so I can focus only on moving my muscles through the motion) Starting with both hands at my sides, bands anchored behind me, then bringing my arms up and together squeezing the hell out of my pecs. Doing that, really focusing on mind muscle, and getting a good pump.
Then after I did those I would go to bench, dumbbells flies, incline and so on with real weight.
But until I really mastered that connection nothing helped. The only way I could get it to click was after my muscles were pumped.
My lats had the same problem, and the same thing did the trick.
Doing single handed lat pulldowns with light bands until I got a pump, then doing heavy pulldowns, bent rows, etc..

At first I would do 1 hand at a time so I could use my other hand to feel my muscle contract. Making absolute sure I was engaging it and squeezing it through the movement.

Found a exercise example below, but I liked the bands behind me.

Attachments

• 1581.gif
    1581.gif
    579.2 KB · Views: 3

Gainz.

Yeah man, I had to basically do my workout backwards. Most people go heavy then rep out, or do accessories.
But for the life of me I couldn't get my pecs or lats to grow. I couldn't feel them engaging or contracting.
The only way to feel them was after they were pumped up.
Luckily I workout at home, because doing 4 sets of 15 with the smallest bands they make.... well it isn't a good look, and doesn't make you feel super manly.
But I swear it worked for me, it really helped my lats!! I finally have some!
A while ago I asked my girl what she thought was the best part about a guy... of course she said "that cobra back" (that bitch) of course she couldn't of listed anything I have... shredded 6pack, that deep v in your abdomen, well developed triceps, big calves, veiny forearms... no! She had to say the one thing that was always impossible for me to develop!
That's what led to my journey of trying to develop my lats and that mind muscle connection. Once I finally figured them out, I went to my chest. Now it's my damn little girls traps that are lagging behind.
(I think they are finally growing... I think)
But I can't stress enough how important that mind muscle connection is!

I worked out for a solid year, doing all the same things I do now and my chest and lats didn't really improve. Not until (she broke me 😭) I started worrying about how I was moving the weight, and not how much weight I was moving!
The heavier you go, the more muscle groups your body is going to recruit to do the exercise!
If you're benching 250lb your body is naturally gonna try to use your shoulders, lats, triceps and chest to move the weight.
But if you bench 100lbs you can really slow down, focus and force your body to only use the muscles you want to use... aka your chest!

Twizted

I finally got my pecs to start growing like I want, they are finally getting that full look amd shape. What seemed to help me the most was really upping the overall volume. I still try to go fairly heavy and low rep for a few sets but then after my chest is pretty fatigued I drop the weight and really slam it with volume. So far it's working pretty good.

Gainz.

Also focusing more on incline movements has really helped.
Volume, volume, volume!
I do every bench variation I can. Flat bench, incline, decline, incline flies, decline flies(my favorite flies) decline close grip, hell I'll even press a 45lb plate between my palms (using pressure to keep it there) and incline with that. I'm a big fan of constantly changing things up. Once you get comfortable... you stop growing!

I know people who train strength and make huge jumps year to year. But their body hasn't really changed in... well years.
Most people think lifting heavier weights means you'll get bigger muscles. That's simply not true. Connective tissue and technique allow you to lift more.
Look at Brian Shaw, for the past 10 years he's been 6"8 440lbs. (Only recently has he slimmed down to 400lb) but for almost a decade he was the same height and weight, but continually lifted heavy and heavier weights!
He trains to find the easiest way to move the weight, and to recruit every muscle group he can to do it!

Moderate weight with tons of volume, going to hypertrophy and then beyond is the way to get size.

And I realize how old the post was, just wanted to state what works for me.
Trying to help anyone who needs it, and keep the good topics going for all the new people

Last edited: