Clean or dirty bulking?

A

Alwaysworking

When I used to bulk I'd eat anything that wasn't nailed down as long as I hit my protein goals. Now when I bulk i do it as clean as possible just makes it 100x easier to lean out when time is right. How bout you guys?

blastthru23

I'm clean all the way except for some chocolate now and again. I guess a little dirty eating is almost necessary for some, like pop tarts, greasy burgers and fries especially the hard gainers. But IFYM I don't really think is a good idea. Sure a calorie is a calorie, but there's much more to nutrition than just macros

SemperFi

I much prefer the 'clean bulk' mentality. A few hundred calories over maintenance a day. You are 100% right.... it makes the backside of the mountain so much easier to navigate.

I am an advocate of keto, anabolic and carb cycling diets because they each have worked very well for me personally. I am currently doing a practice bulk and cut program that is a bit untraditional and we will see what happens. What has me freaked out is I am NOT counting macros for at least the first six weeks of the plan. This one is for getting stage ready and so it is at a more serious level which makes me even more suspect of the method but if I can't trust my coaching and dietician than I hired the wrong people! ;)

Practice does not make perfect.... Perfect practice makes perfect! 

SEMPER FI

SemperFi

That would be a good definition for it. The purpose is to see how much of what I do on a routine basis is beneficial for the goal. The less we have to change the less stress that will be added.

SEMPER FI

ESmetalhead

Do you guys think its worth getting some sort of blood work based nutritional assessment done by a ND?   We are all so different with the way we react, absorb and require nutrients, seems getting feedback on this would be very valuable

blastthru23

Of course. Especially if you have a specific concern, or feel you are deficient in some way, or may have an allergy to a food or foods. Some get tested for insulin and metabolic function. Not sure of the price of these, but sometimes the information may be priceless whatever the cost.

A close friend, who has lived an active, healthy lifestyle most of his life was shocked to find out he had type 2 diabetes. Went in for a routine check up with bloodwork and found out basically in the nick of time 

blastthru23

I fully agree with you, no doubt about it. Should have put that phrase in quotations about calories are calories; I don't follow if it fits your macros at all. Thanks for catching that 

ESmetalhead

Damn!  if he cared enough to get a blood test I'm betting he was healthy.     Yeah exactly health is priceless.  Finding the right Natural Path that asks for the right test is the trick

ramdisck

blastthru23 said:
</p><p>I'm clean all the way except for some chocolate now and again. I guess a little dirty eating is almost necessary for some, like pop tarts, greasy burgers and fries especially the hard gainers. But IFYM I don't really think is a good idea. Sure a calorie is a calorie, but there's much more to nutrition than just macros</p><p>
</p><p>A calorie is NOT a calorie.  I've been meaning to make a post on this for some time, and eventually will. There is a ton of information about it.  for example some calories don't get fully absorbed, some take longer to digest.  some need to be cooked some raw.  A generic calorie counter is not very accurate.  I eat 8oz of nuts a day. and I am only getting about half of the benefits from it.</p><p>A person really needs to understand their body to choose correctly in the calorie department. </p><p> </p>

A

Anabolic_services_Admin

Dirty bulk hands down, more fat the better.. comes with more strength which results in more muscle and biggest return on your bulk. The better question for which bulk best suits you is if youll be able to lean out after the dirty bulk, if not count macros and take a year to gain 10lbs. 

Tlift

I like to eat clean & meal prep for a month in advance.. but I'd have to say it depends on your body type. Being an ectomorph you could eat whatever you see and burn the fat off later like it's no big deal.