Creatine- Backed By Science

SemperFi

Creatine is one of the very few OTC supplements that is backed by consistent science. Studies have consistently shown that it is slightly effective in providing increases in strength resulting in muscle gain, aerobic capacity and power output.

Q- Why would we choose to supplement with it if it already found in many foods that we eat?

A- When we burn energy and place muscle under tension and/or stress our body uses ATP as the primary source of energy supply to muscles. When lifting weight we can deplete this supply of ATP to the point of muscle fatigue. Supplementing with creatine can improve strength gains by regenerating ATP faster than without supplementation.

Q- Does everyone respond to supplementing with creatine?

A- The short answer is no. Studies have shown that there are responders and non-responders to creatine supplementation. A few studies show that responders have a higher degree of type 2 muscle fibers and a low initial creatine muscle stores. The opposite is true for non-responders. The implication is that individuals with less type 2 muscle fibers and larger initial muscle creatine storage capacity will not benefit as much from supplementing with creatine as would a responder.

Q- What type of creatine should we be supplementing with?

A- With all the available marketing information saying one type of creatine is more effective than others it is difficult to weed through all the BS. Several studies put this to rest such as https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-017-0173-z#CR8 . In this example it is concluded that claims of different forms of creatine forms have a greater degree of muscle uptake are unfounded. Based on this information stick with creatine monohydrate and save a few bucks at the same time.

Q- Should you take it alone or on an empty stomach?

A- Muscle creatine content is increased to a higher degree when taking creatine with carbohydrates or carbohydrates & protein versus taking it alone. Research shows that taking creatine with carbs and protein almost doubles the absorption rate.

Q- When should you take it?

A- Two recent studies looked at pre and post workout supplementation. The research suggest that there is a slight benefit in taking creatine pre-workout.

Q- How should you supplement creatine? Loading or cycling?

A- There are generally three protocols when supplementing with creatine - loading phase, daily regular dosing, and cycling. Loading is the process of taking 10-20g per day for 7 days and then regular dosing of 5g per day. Daily regular dosing is just that - 5g per day without loading. Cycling is the process of supplementing with creatine two week on and two weeks off. Research shows that loading and regular dosing provide the same results. While cycling does not show any advantages over the other two.

Q- Are there side effects?

A- There is well over 1000 documented studies on creatine. In all of those studies the most common side effect is weight gain due to water retention. Stomach cramping is a lesser common side effect and this can be attributed to not enough water intake while supplementing with creatine. There are a few uncommon side effects that have been reported but these can not be attributed to creatine supplementation alone and could be individually based.

Summation-

1. Save money and take creatine monohydrate.

2. Take creatine with carbohydrates and protein.

3. Use a loading phase or regular daily dosing. Cycling is not more effective.

4. There are no known adverse side effects and creatine supplementation is considered safe and effective.

SEMPER FI

Dolf

Excellent write up SF!!! Creatine is one of the few supps that I'll take because it's proven to work. I remember back in the day the Army was looking at banning it because guys were falling out while running creatine. What they soon realized it was because they were not taking in enough water every day.

Thebigugly

hey there! Nice article. For me, I had to stop creatine altogher. Was messing up my kidneys really bad and giving me bad numbers for my blood work. So I stopped and things got better. I havent used Creatine in 4 or 5 years. But I do miss the fullness it gave m....

SemperFi

That's unfortunate. Thanks for sharing your personal experience with the community BG.

To date there is no scientific or medical evidence linking creatine to renal system health but there is some anecdotal evidence that suggests otherwise. It would be nice to know the creatine dosage, timing and daily water intake of the individuals describing adverse reactions related to creatine. Not because I dispute their claims but out of pure curiosity.

Creatine causes muscles cells to draw water from the rest of the body. The majority of complaints that I have read are lower back pain, flank pain and poor kidney function but all of these  are symptoms of dehydration as well. The prevalence of the connection of the two leads me to lean in the direction that the majority of individuals describing symptoms while taking creatine might be taking to much and/or are not consuming an adequate amount of water regularly. When you combine creatine with inadequate hydration the elevated levels of creatinine released by the kidneys could produce a false indication of renal dysfunction. Of course there are exceptions to every rule. With all supplementation it ends up being individually based. Fortunately for the vast majority of individuals creatine supplementation has zero adverse side effects.

SEMPER FI

SenseiMiagi

I always fiund creatine to be one of the only "working" supplements available OTC.  Back in the 90's when ridiculous supps were sold to everyone and millions were made pawning junk in capsule form...creatine was the only one that gave me noticeable results.  Good to see science backs up what most of us believed already from use.  Shame I wasted thousands on BS like Boron, or "Russian Bear", or Vanadyl Sulfate (this one may have had some effects, cant remember).

Dolf

I did manage to get my hands on androstenedione back in the day before Mark McGuire made it famous and then banned. Unfortunately I was young and had no idea what I was doing with it.

SemperFi

I have several white papers on Vanadyl Sulfate and have done some research on it. Not so much on its use for bodybuilding but more so in regards to insulin resistance treatment. Back in the day when it was a popular ingredient in sports supps I was clueless and simply used what I was told to use.... spent a small fortune on some Guru's marketing scheme. I just knew I was going to be like Charles Atlas when I sent in my dime from the comic book ad.... Lets not forget when I was suckered in by the sea monkey ad. ;)

SEMPER FI

BobbyO190

WOW I haven't thought of those great comic book adds in years!  Sadly they mostly sold me Hostess snacks HAHA! 

Good write up on the creatine and thanks.

jasonking92

I can back your statement SEMER FI. I added Beta-alanin to my sups along side my normal creatine a while back before adding the beta-a my bloods showed normal kidney function. I had been taking the beta-a for 2 months. Had bloods taken and it was showing kidney problems. And it showed my body was not hydrated enough. I new that was the only recent change so googled it and found out they both draw water from organs. putting 2+2 together with my bloods showing hydration problems. I cut out beta-a just recently had bloods done again and every thing is back to normal. This backs your statement and shows possibly in most cases its over use of creatine or beta-a and/or lack of good quality H20 (water). This problem could be more common in the community than we know as with out a blood test people may not even know there is a problem.