Deck of Cards Challenge

SemperFi

The deck of cards (DOC) workout is simple. Each suit is assigned to an exercise—ie. diamonds equals Push-Ups. Bodyweight moves are preferred because you move quickly between exercises. Variations as you progress is to include pull-ups, dips, medicine balls and/or kettles.

Here is the app if you prefer - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/deck-of-cards-wod/id435642633?mt=8

The app is great because it contains two jokers (wild cards), completely customizable, includes a timer and you can assign rep values to each card.

Draw a card and perform the designated exercise for the number reps indicated on the card, 2 through 10. For the face cards, Jack = 11 reps, Queen = 12 reps, King = 13 reps, and Ace = 14 reps.

Sometimes, you draw a two and do only two reps. No big deal. Other times, you have to do 10 or more reps. Late in a workout, you pray for low numbers. And that's not to mention if you happen to draw the same suit (i.e., the same exercise) twice (or more) in a row.

This type of workout is fairly high volume, so it builds muscular endurance and work capacity. It's important for real athletes to be able to repeatedly perform a movement. And it's a great way to get an extra fat burning boost, if that's your goal. Functional training is a great way to improve your daily performance as it relates to your active lifestyle and/or profession.

Ideally I like to do this on a day when I don't plan to lift or have a daily split training schedule. It combines well with sparring sessions in the morning and using DOC as a finisher.

Guidelines- 

• Assign one exercise to each suit. If you draw a suit, you perform the designated exercise for the number of reps indicated on the card. Use these reps for face cards: Jack = 11; Queen = 12; King = 13; Ace = 14.

• Rest for 10-20 seconds after finishing an exercise, then draw another card. The ultimate goal is to get through the entire deck as quickly as possible and with NO rest between exercises or VERY limited rest. Speed and velocity is what we are shooting for.

• Choose one conditioning move, two exercises tailored to the goal of the workout, and one core move.

• Jokers should be an exercise with a challenging number of reps.

You are only limited by how challenging you make each workout for yourself. If you are not almost dead after completing the deck of cards you were being too easy on yourself.

The Deck of Cards Challenge is a very good group setting workout or done with a partner. 

SEMPER FI

Hey SF..love this concept and I can foresee this being fun when leading a group training along with my own training! Very creative! Did you come up with this???? 

SemperFi

No, not at all. Deck of cards training has been around for years. We used it on an almost daily basis in the military. Usually as a 4 count push-up challenge. it takes two push-ups to equal one 4 count push-up.

Made for a crazy drinking game as well.

SEMPER FI

SemperFi

Use the app brother and make the workout your own! Challenge yourself and increase the rep value of each card as you progress. Try it with dumbbell training and see if you don't end up hating me for it. ;)

SEMPER FI

Dolf

I was just about to say we did this in the military. Except we used a real deck of cards. Cell phones were not very common, and smart phones were not around yet. It's a pretty brutal workout by the time it over!

B

bigmurph

I've never heard of this one but I like it. I train hard 5 days a week 2 days I do days like this type of workout.

Im going to give this a try I will let you know if I make it through the deck lol

+1 great post 

Oh back in the day I played with a deck of cards and drinking games; never weathered it very well though LOL

I like the idea better for using it to work out! 

I had no idea this has been around for years, but also have not been in the Military. Thanks for sharing.

SemperFi

Deck of Cards - Legs of Fire

Diamonds- Ninja Power Tuck Jump

Hearts- Wide Air Squats

Spades- Lunge Jumps 

Clubs- Donkey Kicks

Joker- Star Jumping Jacks x25

Joker- Dive Bomber Push-ups x25

Music- Hinder

Good Luck!

SEMPER FI

SemperFi

Deck of Cards - Kettle Bell Sinking Ships

NOTE- READ CAREFULLY- This workout has a face card twist. ;)

Diamonds- Press ups

Hearts- Reverse Lunge

Spades- Kettle Bell Swing

Clubs- Squat and Press

Here is the twist -

Jacks- High Pulls x10

Queens- Snatch x10

Kings- Mountain Climbers x 20

Ace- One Handed Swings x 10 (left and right)

Joker- 1 Minute Rest

Joker- 2 Minute Rest

Music- Godsmack

Good Luck.... You are going to need it!

SEMPER FI

siegmund

we used the deck in the pen .. when the yard would be cancelled or a lock down. , we would use the deck.  usually pushups dips and pull-ups 

do a deck on push ups. its not easy. , we would draw a 2 or 3. then we could keep drawing if we felt the number 2 low.  then you get to like 8 and pull a Ace then add 20 to it.  ... 

SemperFi

Deck of Cards- Cardio + Core Fat Shredder

Diamonds- Pushups + Dumbbell Rows

Hearts- V-up Crunches

Spades- High Knees for 30 seconds

Clubs- Jack Jump Planks

Joker- 25 Burpees

Joker- 50 Burpees

Music- Van Halen

Good Luck!

SEMPER FI

blastthru23

This would have great to know when I was in county. Got good at gambling tho. Had all the grits I could eat, and cigs never ran dry, well sometimes I was rolling butts in bible paper, nasty! Would have been better of using the deck for working out since we only got to go to the gym once a week at best! 

SemperFi

Triple Dog Dare You Deck of Cards Push-up Challenge

Challenge date - March 28-31

Face cards are 10. Aces are 10. Jokers are 5 minute rest.

FYI- It is 416 total push-ups.

Post your best time on or before April Fools Day. Remove the jokers rest time from the total.

SEMPER FI