Dodging the shakes, experiement

Turning 40

Hi,

New cycle and experimenting by cutting out the protein shakes.

This decision is based on both the articles in here (thanks Milkin) but also a TV programme on BBC called "Pills, Powders and Protein shakes." Bascially they were investigating the supplement industry and concluded that a lot of it is based on "sketchy" (at best) science. But what really shocked was the lab work they had done on one brand (they did not name!) which, when analysed, had just 2% (yes TWO percent) protein. The company involved claimed it must have been a "bad batch from their supplier in China." Aye, right!

So Milkin makes a very good case for minimizing protein shakes, based on them having what they claim. And the BBC prove, what many of us have suspected, that we are not always getting what we are paying for.

On a personal level, too many shakes give me bad bloat and toxic wind. So thought I'd try to do something else. Meals are easy to get plenty whole protein into but for "in between-ers" and POst workout I needed to change.

I'm trying 3 things to boost the protein intake:

Milk. 500ml (roughly 1 pint) of semi skimmed has 18g Protein and 250Kcal.

Nuts. High in protein, calories but also 'good' fats.  Protein per 100g:

Walnuts. 15.23g

Brazil nuts. 14.3g

Peanuts. 25.4g                          (Nut info from nutrition-and-you.com)

Mix with some raisins, if you like a little extra sweetness!

Soya Protein (Health food shops, not sports supplement). This is plain and is intended for vegans etc to 'fortify' their food. Idea is you add this food you are making - it has very little taste so disappears into any soup. 90g protein per 100g, very low carb / G.I. Before anyone screams - "that's still a protein powder!" I know that. For some reason I trust it more.

That's my plan - will let you know how I get on.

Best,

Dolf

I like your experiment. Getting your nutrients from whole food is always better which is why sups are called supplements. What you have to take into account on these studies is who's conducting them, and what's their agenda. The fish oil study for example which stated fish oil pills increase your chances of prostate cancer by 70% was conducted by an anti sup group, very flawed, and proven to be completely wrong and inaccurate. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-supplement-guru-does-fish-oil-cause-prostate-cancer.html

D

Dont_trip

Stick with Optimum Nutrition,MTS,Gaspari,Dymatize

you can't go wrong with those brands my opinion is milk is Good in just  small amounts

I cut milk almost completely out and my breathing and sinuses  are way better.I still drink shakes but something about Milk I don't think 

We should drink as much as we do Just my opinion.Stick to NAME brands to avoid getting protein spiked

Dolf

I agree but gotta throw Muscle Pharm in that group too. Muscle Pharm list every ingredient and will never use the words proprietary blend in the ingredients list. Excellent company!

D

Dont_trip

But muscle pharm got tagged hard forspiking combat   powder and Arnold iron whey they were one of the big companies caught with their dick In the cookie jar.

Dolf

I just read they are being sued. Its their Arnold series which does use the words proprietary blend. MP claims the accusations are false, and that they have 3rd party scientific testing to back it. I'll stick with ON for the time being, but I'd have to refer you to the fish oil study above. Does anyone behind the potential suit have an agenda?

csancheezy

is my go to brand for protein, clean stuff.. There is a website I was just on that did lab test on like 70 different brands. Dont know much of the background about the website, but like DT said there is definetly biased sources out there..

D

Dont_trip

They tested But the problem is it was not 3rd party so it really cannot hold much water.What I mean is this they wanted to prove their product was good so they sent a tub to a lab.Credibility would have been there had they had some random company send in a tub of their product.

I do hope they pan out I mean I do have a 5lb tub of their isolate LoL....Now as far as proprietary blends Muscle pharm IS NOTORIOUS for proprietary blends they opt to use the word MATRIX instead =) etc they only now have begun listing out every ingredient.They literally stole JIM Stoppani's entire supplement line up and ideas and only list out ingredients Now because the pressure from the consumer..... but go ahead and check out their  former pre workouts/creatine/amino1 etc all proprietary blends

Dolf

Definitely brotha. I didn't know about this bullshit. I'm glad you brought it to my attention. :)

Dolf

From what I'm reading its the Arnold series that's spiked. Is your tub Arnold series or regular MP? The bad thing is they literally dragged Arnolds name through the mud with a subpar product. If all this turns out to be true.

D

Dont_trip

Fancy 100% pure isolate,I snagged it on an error at a store usually retails for 80$ I got it for 31$ thanks to somebodies mistake.Needless to say they corrected it immediately after I ordered a tub LoL Should of bought more.

yashe

I've seen the same with Optimum Nutrition, MTS, Gaspari, and Dymatize looking like they came out cleaner. Also, I think many people are allergic or have an adverse reaction to the bullshit that is put into homogenized and pasteurized milks (antibiotics, hormones, "vitamins" -- I mean, leave all those to our own discretions, right?) but many people, myself included, do a better job with raw milks. Raw milk can be tricky to get ahold of (need to buy shares of cattle) and sometimes you can get a bad batch, but many farms do quality testing. Some people do better with goat's milk as well.

csancheezy

raw milk vendor who sells his product at the health food/supplement store I work at. I love raw milk it's nutrient dense,  full of good bacteria, hasn't been tampered with, and very delicious.

yashe

Dude, yes! Sounds like you have an awesome job! It's so hard to drink TAINTed "milk" anymore.  Raw -- it's like, what, liquid ice cream, or something. I'm thirsty.