Does masturbation effect strength/muscle gains?

Wizard

Does masturbating in the morning effect your strength for the rest of the day? My workout buddy always tells me to stop masturbating every time I go to the gym weak.. Also since your testes produce testosterone does masturbation effect its production of it at all?

wolverine

i have read that when you have sex or simulate it (masturbate), you raise testosterone levels. now, as for becoming tired or lazy afterwards it really just depends on the person. i know that after you orgasm, your brain releases a chemical that makes you temporarily relaxed, but thats about it and even that shouldn't effect energy levels in the gym. whoever told you that is believing an old wives tale that goes way back.-- i hope this helped you out

hayabusa

your natural test will rise and fall naturaly, have you ever noticed how horny you get when you aint had sex for a few days, then when you do get the chance you cant be bothered...
i've read that natural test is at its best at day 5 after falling, so lets say you shoot your load on monday, by friday you are at your peak again, by saturady it begins to drop off rapidly, a little like steroid esters......
when i take steroids i tend to become obcessed with my training so sex isn't really a big concern, its when im not training thats all i can think about....
and despite what i said, i admit i feel much better getting sex regular as it improves my mood which reflects in my workouts....no sex = bad mood for me....

dlovett

Testosterone is produced by the testes. Your testosterone cycles naturally over a 24 hr period. Typically, a natural adult male will produce about 300 - 1000 ng/dl (nanograms per deciliter) and this 24 hour cycle waxes and wanes throughout the day according to different stimuli. Generally, your test is highest in the morning when you wake (hence morning wood) and lowest at the end of the day with mid cycle being the afternoon. Sex and masturbation actually bring your natty test to peak... Wolverine is right - beating off will not decrease your strength and that mild relaxation feeling will dissipate quickly. Hayabusa is right in encouraging the mood elevation theory as busting a nut will certainly provide a euphoric feeling and release something a bit more primal for your workout ;)

I don't always do cardio... wait - I do always do cardio. I just call it fucking, lol.

Blahblah

From experience, regardless of what happens to my test levels after orgasm, I am noticeably weaker and my endurance is shot afterward.

My motivation to go to the gym is lessened and once I get there I feel slow and sluggish. 

I might have a strong set or two at the beginning of the workout but it quickly tapers off.

Uglpharma

I dont really know but logic tells me it might depend on how many times a day your spanking your monkey, if you just masterbate once in a day I wouldnt think it would change much but if your doing it 5 or maybe 10 times in a day it seems like it could affect your hormone levels, as far as raising them or lowering them and by how much I dont know. It could also be burning extra fuel you might use for your workouts, but thats a lot of masterbating Lol

siegmund

They had a program on this ,a few years back to prove or disprove.it..i believe it was.Lenox Lewis or one of them heavy weights. At the time and he debunked it ,its a myth ,
The study was having sex in the morning then ,going to box ,
I'm sure imo tho this would be person dependent .true.story I was upstate (pen) and it was a thunderstorm so when there is severe weather ,the joint dont give yard .well this was a leg day ,and we figured yard was cancelled ,so I rubbed one out quick , and it clears up and.we.had yard.,well my workout partner made me do legs ... Well I was doing bucket shots with 450. ,but.this day 335 was killing me !!! So my opion yes I effects you

Uglpharma

Awesome, so If I would stop masterbating so much I would be even stronger :) Joking. What you experienced IMO is better than any scientific study, it is a real life experience. Im not sure the reasoning behind it hindering your strength but I can see a couple of probability's that could affect it. I replied to this thread kinda as a joke but it got serious Lol