Fat Loss

SemperFi

I have never been very successful utilizing supplements for fat loss. The best results for fat loss has always been to train more like an athlete and less like a bodybuilder. I train more and more on my feet and less and less laying on a bench or sitting at a machine. I have been successful with fasted cardio but avoiding the traditional cardio machines. Burpees, Mountain Climbers, Kettle Swings, and Swimming are great ways to burn excess calories and access fatty acid.

The last couple of percentage points of fat loss are a real bitch.... that back fat holds on for dear life! 

SEMPER FI

calmb4dastorm

Are your thoughts on accelerated cardio between sets? Do you think this is a viable option to add to a training session? Here lately, i find i actually NEED the short rest between sets to catch my breath! Especially when I'm supersetting. 

SemperFi

Since I know you Calm I would say that you need the rest between sets more than the benefits that accelerated cardio would provide you. It might be a viable option to incorporate dedicated fat burning sessions to your current regimen if possible.

SEMPER FI

SemperFi

You are very welcome AAN. On the flip side of this debate is that I react very well to continuous sets and accelerated cardio between sets. I do not do it with super sets and I limit to isolation excercises. I live for the, pump, adrenaline release and exhaustion that this style of training provides. But to be frankly honest I do not think it even comes close to burning fat as much as a dedicated fat burning routine.

Best wishes on this endeavor...... I am looking forward to seeing your new symmetry and experience how far ou have come since the days of the yellow training gear.... I still have those imagines burned into my brain! ;)

SEMPER FI

calmb4dastorm

Are a wealth of welcomed information. I see more and more people utilizing the accelerated cardio between sets but do not see where it has helped achieve any greater if any fat loss as oppose to simply keep moving during the rest period.  Dedicated cardio is what I definitely need to implement as my rest periods are much needed. I will type up my training plan by the end of the week and post in the women's training section for review. Maybe I can catch a break today and do it while at work. 

I'm continuing to challenge myself and find out what works for me. A woman asked me yesterday why I attempt to stay lean while on a bulk. Stated she remembers the days when people bulked...then they cut. I want to maintain my conditioning. I do not want to have to shed layers of fat precontest. At some point, I hope to maintain the look of being 4-6 weeks out from showing. It's just a personal goal and preference. 

Oh, I had a yellow training day, Sunday...and yellow is my color of choice for today's session. 

Unknown22514

I am currently off cycle and have been for roughly four months give or take. This last cycle I was on a heavy bulk and I decided to experiment with dirty bulking. When I say "dirty bulking" what I mean is dirty calories. Essentially I was eating fast food for breakfast every morning and all throughout the day it was no holds barred. I was on such an exponential calorie surplus that I was getting more than my macros in and my strength was through the roof. This method was great for power lifting, but not much else. I had zero cardio and I'm normally a cardio machine. It was an interesting experiment but I definitely won't be doing it this way ever again. Needless to say I put on a lot of mass, but I also put on a lot of body fat.

So there I was with all of this extra body fat and deciding how I wanted to lose it so that I could enter my upcoming bulking cycle and do it cleanly this time around. I considered things like Helios or DNP (I know it's controversial), but I decided against these for now. I was maintaining at around 230 lbs and started slowly working on my cardio. It was a massive struggle at first and I did lose some strength, but this is to be expected.

So October 1'st rolled around and I ultimately decided to do what has always worked extremely well for me in the past. I jumped onto a hardcore ketogenic diet with 75% fats / 20% protein / 5% carbs. This diet can be rough and at first and there's definitely an adjust period; but it always pays dividends. I paired my keto diet with a lot more HIIT and intense cardio sessions (mostly jump-rope, usually only lasting 20 mins per session). I do this between 5-6 days a week. I've also paired my diet with intermittent fasting. This is where I only eat my meals between 10am-7pm and nothing but fluid outside of this time window. I also implemented HGH for this protocol.  For this method I use split doses, one in the morning and one before bed (sometimes a third post workout) for a total of 4-6iu per day. The trick is to be fasted during the time you are using the GH for it to be most effective and aid in the fat burning and recovery. I haven't lost too much strength and I feel amazing. I have gone down from 230 lbs to 216lbs in only 21 days. My goal is to hopefully hit 210 before I get back on cycle with a much more respectable body fat percentage.

I know this is a little bit more of a traditional method (aside from the GH), but it's simply so effective that I had to mention it. There is almost nothing better for targeting those hard to reach fat reserves than a strict keto diet along with some cardio.

Dolf

+3 & X2 brother! If you can make it past the 2 week mark you can do keto. It doesn't seem that bad to me anymore, but the more times you do it I guess you're just more mentally prepared for the drag ass feeling and it doesn't affect you as much.

calmb4dastorm

Very good results with this protocol you are following. Keto brings great results according to personal accounts that I read. I'm glad you shared this. I am planning to cut as much fat as I can with my next cut.

Keep up the great work!

SemperFi

+3 for sharing brother. Keeping moving forward and keep sharing personal experiences. Personal experience trumps any research or book smarts!

SEMPER FI

Unknown22514

Thanks guys, I've just finished up writing a detailed protocol on this method for others who may be unfamiliar and I will post it in the forum here momentarily.

calm, with your hard work and dedication I know that you will most definitely reach your fat cutting goals!

strong

Fat loss is something I will always have to keep my focus on.  My recent success was after reading an article about cardio after weight lifting. It basically said that weight training burns up your glycogen stores and when you get to the cardio it really hits the fat hard. I had posted this a while ago and the stereotypical feedback came in. " don't mix cardio with weight training, do cardio in the morn. and lift later"  Well, for me, That couldn't be more wrong. I was amazed at the BF loss from that regimen mixed with intermittent fasting.

I had posted some pics a while back when I was 287 and a fat slob to when I was 253 and pretty jacked. Later that year I hit 232 lbs and kept a lot of muscle Thanks to Tren. I have to believe that fat loss fr most is very individualistic.  Right now I am going for my Last Bulker. and have no concerns of BF and it shows : )  

SemperFi

Look forward to reading what you share. I am a ketosis junky and it is always nice to hear others speak about it from personal experience.

There are some nice write ups about it already in the diet and nutrition section.

SEMPER FI

SemperFi

That's excellent Strong. I love to read about people going against the popular beliefs and find solid results from a contrarian approach. +3

SEMPER FI

calmb4dastorm

I have to admit that I have not reached my full potential and I have no one to blame but myself. I take full responsibility. I can't complain about gains I don't achieve from work I Know I'm not putting in! I'm holding myself accountable!! Moving forward.

ESmetalhead

Also looking forward to this.  From what I understand the Keto diet has a stable blood sugar and leaves you without the high and low energy and less spikes in  hunger 

blastthru23

I finding that many "trainers" on podcasts tout all kinds of crap, trying to sound like they have the magic bullet so people sign u for their online coaching services. Then, I listen to a podcast by actual scholars on a variety of subjects, and the bottom line is there is no magic bullet, and each individual will respond differently to any program. Further, this whole fear of muscle loss due to post training cardio is a fantastic myth according to some leading researchers. Muscle is the least favorite source of energy for the body unless in a starved state for the most part (nothing is "necessarily the case"). An interesting note is I have seen a handful of people, both male and female, in contest prep, and guess who is on the treadmill, stationary bile or some other cardio machine? Those folks, the ones in prep mode. I'll add that it appears they are doing low intensity cardio, or moderate steady-state for about an hour. I think this "cardio is bad after training" is part of the fallacious "half-hour anabolic window" notion.

Dolf

Fuck that shit about not mixing cardio and weight training. I do both together ed. I wouldn't have time to do them seperate. Unless I wanted to sacrifice quality time with my wife and kids, and that's not fucking happening. I have read as of late it's better to do the cardio after weights, but if I do weights first I wouldn't have enough gas in the tank to do cardio. When I hit the weights I give it everything I have.

Unknown22514

Dolf said:
</p><p>I have read as of late it's better to do the cardio after weights, but if I do weights first I wouldn't have enough gas in the tank to do cardio. When I hit the weights I give it everything I have.</p><p>
</p><p>This is something would always run through my mind because I also do my cardio during the same session as the rest of my training. I've just come down to deciding that if I plan on doing heavy deads, squats, or bench I will do my cardio post training. I have found that if I do cardio prior to heavy training I have some fatigue that affects being able to push myself as hard as I'd like. Also, even if I go heavy on the weights I can usually always muster out twenty minutes on the elliptical at least. So I really think it depends on what the training game plan is for the day. And I feel that it also varies depending on what kind of cardio you plan on doing. Some will fatigue me much more than others.</p><p> </p>