Four Distinct Types of Lifters....

SemperFi

Ask yourself two questions-

1. What type of lifter are you?

2. What type of lifter do you want to be?

Below are four types of lifters as I have decided to define them. One is not better than any other. Being realistic and honest with ourselves will allow us to be better equipped to work within the frame work of the type of lifter we are. There is nothing more discouraging than not accomplishing our purposes for lifting. This failure might be associated with the fact that we have misdefined what type of lifter we are. A Type I cannot expect to accomplish the same level of results as say a Type III. It is unfair for a Type I to even compare themselves to a Type III. By doing so they are placing unrealistic expectations upon themselves. Unrealistic expectations is simply premature resentment. ;)

Decide what type of lifter you are or want to be and establish a lifestyle for success around that. 

Type I - "I Should" - The I should train and lift because the are complying with some directive (internal or external) that they should because it is good for them. Personal health is on the priority list. This is a great starting point and a type that most will never transition out of. It is also the type of lifter that has the most failures because of the lack of personal commitment. If nothing else the health benefits of weight training are unarguable.

Type II - "I Have To" - The I have to train and lift because of the demands of life or their favorite sport. They have goals and a plan. They hit the weights to keep up with a demanding lifestyle, friend or competitor. Wanting to be better than they are physically drives them.

Type III - "I Want To" - The I want to lifts and trains because it feels physically and mentally good. They push themselves to shatter personal bests or achieve lofty goals. They return regularly to be personally challenged and rewarded. Self competition to find the upper limits of what they can do keeps them coming back for more.

Type IV - "A Pathway" - The pathways train and lift as part of their lifestyle. Lifting is a much more  than simply getting bigger or stronger. It is part of who they are. A pathway does not need to be convinced to go to the gym to lift just like a fish doesn't need to be convinced to swim. Lifting is in their nature. They get to truly know their sport. The pathways seek self betterment and thrive in challenging situations. They thrive because they know the end result will be a better understanding of who they are apart from lifting.

SEMPER FI

strong

+2 for a well thought post.. Its different....

I am a type III.... I know because I read the post 2 time and both times I got the chills at Type III... I really do push myself to shatter goals, not to just reach them. I told my wife on Wed. this week that I need to start training harder. I need to feel like I might not make it out of the gym alive. The last 2 days have been so intense on my mind and my body.. Its pure joy for me right now posting this to know I've hit another level...

Its hard to say that I'm not type IV.. I have been lifting since I was 13 years old. Its a part of who I am. Does it define who I am? It may... I definitely thrive in challenging situations. If something is really really hard, I love to dominate it and then Talk Mad shit : )

jasonking92

Type 3 but I hope I start to live like a type 4 over the next decade+ would just like to find a gym buddy with same drive and dedication to help push each other the extra 10% plus would make setting up etc a lot quicker. There just not a lot of dedicated heavy lifters at my current gym.

SemperFi

JK,

Do not under estimate your capabilities. If you do not find that training partner you are looking for do not let that hold you back from being the best you you want to be.

Something to consider.... If you can't find the perfect training partner help someone else to become one. Share what you know with someone looking to learn. Take them under your wing. Inspire them... motivate them... encourage them. It might take some time but the investment pays back in spades in so many areas. 

Gains are not measured by how much we keep but how much we give away for the benefits of others.

SEMPER FI

blastthru23

I train solo, keeps me in the zone and allows me to push harder. I do, however, jump in on certain exercises with my power-lifter friend, he also helps with technique here and there. And, when he's doing 1RM or shooting for PR, I gladly spot. Just having this big dude around motivates me to push harder and further. Sometimes, a few of us plan a run-the-rack day. What a show that is! Everyone pushing everyone to keep going.  As an aside, I guess if I had [a]workout partner, its Slayer, and a few other Thrash bands (Testament, Orange Goblin, Lamb of God, Devildriver, Sodom...and 1970's AC/DC, not thrash obviously, but damn they get me going! I also have one song by Jessie J [Domino] i do like a pop tune or two [LOL]).  </p>

SemperFi

There is a lot to be said about being able to talk mad shit. Not to be confused with talking shit. Shit talkers are obvious. Mad shit talkers are to be feared, awed and respected. ;)

SEMPER FI

Big Nasty

Same here blast. I got my foot in the door for IV but a solid III for sure. Its def a necessary and huge part of my daily life, planning, and mental therapy. The iron exists as my daily happy pill. I just got back from Florida hanging out at the beach daily but one of my favorite events was getting to train at a Golds Gym daily. Its inspirational. I visit there each year and there are always some professional level BB. Great atmosphere and many dedicated to the grind.   

blastthru23

I know that feeling being around fellow grinders, it’s Valhalla 110%. Grind to grind again. I had that experience down in San Diego at Worlds Gym, makes me want to move there. Here, where I live, it’s more of a fitness crowd, lots of Cross fitters too. Glad they are doing their thing, everyone has their reasons for whatever, but it’s sweet to be around others like us. This world has its own language, its nice to be able to talk shop naturally without having to explain anything. Good to see you on the site, seems it’s been a minute :)

ESmetalhead

I'd say I'm Type IV I dont have monsters size by any means but I have demons that I can unleash it just takes caffeine and evil music.  Ive been this way since I was a very under weight teenage and had my ass kicked a few times.  Started with curls during commercials I started to see a change and then puberty and testosterone finally came around.   I've always lifted alone in a quiet fury, a murderous attitude. I remind myself to hide it and focus it then I have tell myself ok enough.  Lets save some for next time haha.   I must say my gains waned for a number of years drinking and chasing skirts hindered my efforts.  I didn't learn any new exercises or use my head trying to learn how gain and I stayed stagnant for years and years but I never stopped its a ritual I was in every week as soon as the hangover was gone.   This forum, TRT and being beaten to submission by 2 and 3 day long hangovers finally have me on a positive path.   The fire certainly is back and the knowledge has me gaining.  Thanks to all of you here for you're help.      

jasonking92

Thank you semperFi your advice is appreciated. I have seen a few that are starting to turn up regular I will check out who looks like there going the extra 110% and see if they want to team up. Quite a few people have asked me for advice on training and diet (often adding 30+ min to my gym sessions).  Most take it on board (Gives me a great feeling helping some one improve). Some just carry on as before but I do not take it personal after all its only advice. I will start the hunt tomorrow.

strong

Glad u said it ES...  I understand your statements "Quiet fury and murderous attitude"  I'm thankful that Now I just want to murder those weights.. 

strong

Just to keep this post moving along... I'm curious if there might be a TYPE V?? "The addiction Trainer"  I've seen many people go from addiction to Drugs, alcohol etc. Get involved with training. It gives them a place to put their addiction into positive action. Most people that are addicts have an addictive personality. Sure, it may be alcohol or drugs right now but its the root cause that needs to be dealt with.. No better way than the gym..

blastthru23

When I was boozing it up, and popping and snorting whatever, almost every damn day I would say to myself, fuck I gotta get back to the gym...I did finally get back, and I'm staying here. The rush from lifting heavy where I nearly fall over is awesome, other times I hit a certain state where its almost like being on a low dose of acid, I feel life coursing through me and every one and everything around me, the cacophony of life in this world becomes symphonic, orchestration beyond that of Beethoven, Mahler, Rachmaninov, Chopin, or John Coltrane and more precise than Liszt, or Pat Martino... So simple, singular, without meter or tonality, pure...

ESmetalhead

Its certainly one of the best addictions but if you cant stand to take time off to heal from injuries you're body is gonna fall apart before its time

strong

Yea Man... I just went through over a year of injuries I could not get under control. I stayed in the gym doing cables and cardio and bullshit just to stay positive.. I finally bought into the complete lifestyle change... At my age I've been resting more and listening to my body..

strong

Nice.... When u have been as successful as you have in your fitness you have to inspire.... A good friend of mine taught me I could be inspired and now I'm doing it for others..