Gaining in a calorie defict - Is it possible?

SemperFi

Hey MG,

Can we gain lean muscle mass in a calorie deficit? What are your thoughts and why?

SEMPER FI

SemperFi

Follow up question-

Does the level of experience of the individual create an advantage if it possible to gain lean muscle in a deficit? i.e.. will the advanced have better results than the beginner or is an untrained individual at an advantage because they are first starting out.

SEMPER FI

strong

I would have to say an experienced BB would have that edge. As an experienced BB you understand your body and the compounds to help you achieve your goals. A beginner may put on more% of muscle than an experienced BB But IMO the experienced BB will have a grainier look to them and quality muscle. I tell you what. You have a ton of experience and you are about to enter the biggest deficit. Let us know your findings..

srslybig

I'm currently running a 300 calorie deficit. I've combined strict macros counting and the RP diet template. I've done this before in the past and lost weight But I wasn't on gear at that time. Now, I'm three weeks deep into my first cycle and I've gained 6 pounds in that time. I know my food is on point so it can't be a miscalculation of calories. The only difference ive noticed is im putting up heavier weights and recovering ridiculously fast so I can do it with minimal discomfort again the next day. 

My body comp and shape seems to be noticeably changing...even my wife noticed  

So, long story short, I believe you can add mass While running a deficit. The fact that I'm new to gear may have something to

do with it. 

bigdawgjr

Well im currently running a 22-2400 cal intake right now. 225g protien 90-100g carbs 10-20 fat. An nutritional expert picked this due i love lifting over cardio, i was told bye them, after looking over my body and taking my BF%. I would lose body fat without loosing muscle. I was currently running 400mg a week of testc. Ive lost a ton of fat and gained muscle doing this. I couldnt tell you the numbers ive lost or gained. Still new to the lifting world, did the test cycle prematurely.  ive recently cut that in half and ordered a pct protocol. Once that arrives, i will start pct 14 days after last pin. Luckly for me, Sf took me under his wing and feed me with his knowledge and my health concern. 

calmb4dastorm

No fair. I'm going to give my answer based on my experience thus far with cutting and that is No in most cases. Why? Homeostasis plays a part as well as gluconeogenesis, which I can't put into layman's terms. I will leave that to one of you guys. 

The goal of cutting--for me--is to cut body fat with an intent to preserve as much lean muscle mass as possible. The operative word here Is "preserve." 

I have noted no additional mass gain during my cuts. Could I be missing something in my plans, absolutely. What is to be noted is that my cut last year cost me a bit of mass. It was as if I wear disappearing....This year, experience enabled me to preserve more lean mass; I think because my diet was a bit different. 

calmb4dastorm

Say absolutely the level of experience of the individual creates an advantage. My noobie Gains were phenomenal....4 years later, its like the law of diminishing returns for me!!! 

calmb4dastorm

That Tren added any mass during a deficit for me. It indeed is a versatile Compound that allows one to bulk or cut on it. During either proposed type of cycle, our nutrition reflects whether we are eating to build mass, maintain, or lose fat. It is as if Tren is "adaptive" for a lack of better terms. But noone runs it for maintenance. I personally feel like the "protein synthesis" is what it should be crowned as being notorious for because during the cut, it is that quality that truly causes its preservation of lean mass; because the reality--my reality--is that im not consuming enough calories to add mass during this time frame.

SemperFi

You know me all to well Calm. Thank you so very much for sharing. Your knowledge is invaluable from a 'been there, done that' perspective. The simple fact that you have another great quality (being female) just adds to our knowledge base and helps us all understand ourselves better. Different perspectives and personal experience is golden.

+2 Storm!

SEMPER FI

SemperFi

Good information from everyone. + 2 to you guys. Hopefully more members will continue to add to a very good discussion.

SEMPER FI

Dolf

It's the same with me. I'm usually in too much of a deficit to add while using tren. However if you read up on the effects of tren adding weight while in a deficit is one. It's believed that tren allows your body to do more with less nutrients. Very little of what you eat is wasted. Hmmm...maybe this could be my next experiment. Broscience or fact?

calmb4dastorm

To learn how to make it work in my favor during deficits. My next one I was considering adding Primo in lieu of it. I'm glad that my learning never stops!! 

SemperFi

Putting steroid use aside.... Believe it or not.... not everyone uses steroids. ;)

I believe that beginners with a higher body fat percentage can gain muscle mass and loss body fat in a slight calorie deficit. If you are pretty lean and experienced I belief you will have a much more difficult time adding muscle mass in a calorie deficit. Even with the use of steroids I would say a better option for the experienced is a slow lean bulk (+300-600 cals). 

SEMPER FI

SemperFi

OK have some personal evidence that it very possible to gain muscle mass in a calorie deficit. Understand I did NOT do this naturally... I was enhanced. I know this comes as a surprise to most of you because anyone who knows me knows I do not condone steroid use.... ;)

7 week calorie deficit- gained 3.9lbs of lean mass and reduced my body fat % by 1.6 %. My lean mass exceeds 200lbs for the first time ever. My FFMI is now sitting at 28.90.

SEMPER FI

strong

Good news. I will be in deficit for a while. I don't feel like I'm losing any mass, I am definitely not gaining mass. I'm running natural so its been a bitch to stay intense.

Personal experiments are a lot of fun... Discipline + hard work = Results..