Get Rid of the Scale

SemperFi

Generally speaking when you are on a weight loss journey you begin tracking your progress using a scale. This is even more predominant in females and very normal. Unfortunately mass media and diet programs have programmed you to rely too heavily on the scale to measure success. Just look at one of the most successful diet programs in existence.... Weight Watchers. Many, especially if they started from a point of obesity, are addicted to the scale.

I know from first hand knowledge how hard it is to not weigh yourself on a regular basis. I also know how disappointing it can be when you do not see the scale dropping... or worse it rises. Plateau's in weight loss or weight gains can give a false impression. Many times when this happens we believe we are doing something wrong and begin to second guess our methods.

I am here to tell you ladies that if your method is sound and you are consistent using it time will prove your results WITHOUT the use of a scale. Easier said than done right? ;)

That fact is that muscle weighs more than fat. When you begin a new diet and training program you will see an initial drop in body weight as your metabolism rises and you get the initial surge of body weight (fat) loss. Overtime your body will begin building new muscle and you will begin to see the scale slowing down in your weight loss. You will start being concerned that you are doing something wrong. This is the point that you need to start trusting in the method and stop relying on the scale.

If you are addicted to the scale- weighing yourself daily or more than 1x a week- there are ways that you can wean yourself off of relying on the scale to measure success.

Take baby steps because I know it is hard. If you are weighing yourself everyday start by only weighing yourself every other day. Slowly begin reducing the times that you weigh yourself until finally you can put that scale in the deep recesses of your hall closet and only use it when you become curious.

Here are 5 ways that you can track your progress without the use of the scale;

1. Take progress pictures. Same posture, same clothing style.

2. Track and retest your areas of strength i.e. bench, squat, shoulder press.

3. Use a tape measure.

4. Have your body fat tested. Calipers are cheap and many gyms have a body composition machine.

5. Try on old clothing.

Learning to measure weight loss success in new ways can be very beneficial. Not only for your physique but your psyche as well.

The medical industry uses the body mass index (BMI) which is very limited and hugely misrepresentative for most individuals. The fat free mass index (FFMI) is a much more accurate representation of the bodies composition.

Fat-Free-Mass-Index-(FFMI)-Calculator-794.html

Good luck.

SEMPER FI

Dolf

Great write up and advice! +3

I always preach to women about the evil scale that lies to you. Use the mirror, selfies, and a tape measure as your judge. Also take into account that your significant other and children see you on a daily basis, and will not notice the changes as would someone who only sees you occasionally, so don't get mad, discouraged, or frustrated if they don't notice the changes like other do.

calmb4dastorm

As always. It can truly be difficult to move away from scale watching but t is so worth it to not rely on seeing a set of numbers on that scale. Keep in mind that it can take 2-4 weeks before you "see" the results of the hard work you're putting in, but that timeframe is as individual as we are. Like Dolf said, people who see you daily may not notice those changes, but do not be dismayed. Keep driving on! Centimeters turn into inches!!! Ladies, no matter how difficult it gets, keep telling yourself to, "Trust the process." This is a marathon not a sprint... 

When you allow a scale to dictate your self of self-worth, you allow it to take away your inherent power as a human being. You are so much more than a number. Additionally, getting rid of your scale enables you to focus more on how your body is actually feeling—which is a positive thing.