Glucose and Cancer

SemperFi

I put this in the general chat because I did not want to go really in depth on the subject and because I did not find an appropriate section in the forum.

Human cells love glucose and use it for energy. Without energy the cell will die. Here is the really cool thing...

Healthy human cells have the flexibility and capability of using ketones for energy in the absence of glucose. Cancer cells DO NOT have this flexibility. Cancer cells love and require glucose in all but the rarest cases. In fact cancer cells uptake glucose 200% times faster than healthy cells. Some cancer cells will use glutamate but the studies are inconclusive which ones and how much. In the absence of energy cancer cells can not divide and will die.

Some current studies are providing evidence that reducing sugar intake is increasing the survivability rate of cancer patients. We have spent billions of dollars on cancer research and have not increased survivability since all cancer research began in the late '50's. Could our diet be a key to beating cancer or at least increase our odds of surviving it?! 

Food for thought.... Would reducing your sugar intake allow your body a better defense against cancer? Would eliminating sugar from a diet improve your odds of surviving cancer?

SEMPER FI

Dolf

I guess carbs would fall into that category as well since simple carbs are turned into glucose?

SemperFi

You are correct. My fascination with ketosis as well as my disdain for sugar & the western diet is partly due to the fact that I am a cancer survivor.

We are literally eating ourselves to death. Blame it all on Eggo Waffles and Cracker Jacks. ;)

SEMPER FI

Dolf

Well my BIA you not only survived cancer, but you have also thrived post cancer. Whether you know it or not you are very inspiring to others in many ways. You're definitely someone for others to emulate! : )

SemperFi

Leggo of my Ego... I mean Eggo! ;) Thanks for the compliment Dolf.

The reality is I can say the exact same thing about you and so many other members of MG. I have gained so many new tools in my tool box for personal growth from almost each and every member. A few have had a much deeper impact on me but that does not distract me from appreciating all that this place has provided for and to me.

We each bring something of value to the table... The true value of a community is greater than the sum of the individual parts.

SEMPER FI

blastthru23

You gave me the idea of intestinal fortitude. Any time I feel like giving up, whether it’s work, gym, or otherwise, I think of you with a big ass backpack, and big ass machine gun marching through the desert heat, after jumping out of a helicopter, blasting the enemy with heavy fire power. Smashing another set seem like child’s play and easy as sin when I reflect on what you’ve endured countless times. The same visual came in handy when bending 1 1/4” pipe the other day. That stuff is a real bitch to bend a short off set perfectly. Was about to throw the towel in and use a couple of pre made 45’s... well I made that pipe my bitch and put the bends in. Thanks D, Rangers Rock!

ESmetalhead

That's how my brother inspires me. Doing these things and in his 40's with one eye.  Then returns to be a patient loving father of 3

SemperFi

The link between sugar and cancer cell growth is to complex for me to even understand. One thing I can clearly understand is that my diet is the single most important factor in reducing the risk of cancer. Since sugar intake is the leading cause of obesity and obesity increases the risk of at least a dozen forms of cancers it was easy for me to see the simple solution. One of the easiest first steps to diet improvement was for me to eliminate or drastically reduce all forms of sugar. The second step was converting to a whole food diet and avoid processed foods as much as possible.

I posted a link in general chat to an article that was recently published concerning the link of processed foods and cancer.

http://www.businessinsider.com/processed-food-cancer-bmj-2018-2?r=UK&IR=T

Some cancer might just be unavoidable but trust me when I say you should be doing everything you can to reduce the risks. Modern medicine treatment is not fun and has lifelong repercussions.

SEMPER FI

strong

+2 Dolf...  Minus the Cancer, The same is to be said about you.. You 2 men are very different from each other but both such honorable people that I'm thankful to call you both brothers. Both of your commitments to MG and the people of MG are 2nd to none. I have been in "The measure of a man" Mode. I always equated my success's by the almighty $$..  Thank you both for helping me to at least open my eyes to a different way of thinking..

strong

Yea Blast, I have thought of the same thing many times..  Losing some BF?, on a strict diet?, building muscle??? Piece of cake compared to what life can bring..  Its good that you can Empathize and be able to put yourself in other peoples shoes. To me, That shows Character..,

I can always reflect back to 1 night in prison (Please don't associate me as a prisoner, I don't think its cool.. Its a waste of life) When a new arrival was coming in and talking shit to everyone. It was my job to shut him down, so I did.. He made the mistake of telling me he was going to kill me that night.. You never tell a man in prison that you are going to kill him, you just do it.. I prepared to remove him from this earth in such a violent manner that his moms would feel it.. Thank God I didn't have to do that.  Some of my earlier experiences have left me emotionally challenged but mentally strong. 

Dolf

That's what real men do. They work hard to provide for the ones they love, and then return home to show love to the ones they love. Although some distorted warped minded people these days like to call that "Toxic Masculinity"

Dolf

Mental strength is far more valuable than physical strength. No matter who you are you can always be broken physically, but as long as you're mentally strong you can endure anything.

BobbyO190

I have struggled over the years with the concepts of zero sugar vs zero processed sugar.  Personally I like natural sugars and think, stress I think, they are good for you. Fruits, Vegetables, Whole Grains - all have a large amount of natural sugar.

Processed foods, drinks, grains - have a LOT of bad bad sugar.

Now if you want ketosis you have to eliminate basically all sugar from your diet for a solid time period but for general health and to fight cancer. My research and opinion stresses natural foods with some natural sugars. (Don't try to live on pineapple of course). This will give the body what it most desires.

Now we start to get into the subject of 'supplements'. Which ones are good and which ones long term are bad?

PS: Enjoyed the other side stories by the way and Strong, some day I hope to meet you and to be able to buy you a beer and hear your life story. I am truly fascinated!