Going vegan

milkin

You find more more blogs on bodybuilders and Health enthusiast going vegan. Personally I find it hard to believe that you can get the necessary protein intake with so-called " Earth meals" alone. (Vegan)

The majority of thier protein comes from beans and grains such and quinoa. One cup of quinoa = 8g of pritien, that's means you got to eat a lot of seeds brother and sisters to get your fill of protein. 

Any input on vegan diets ? 

JARHEAD2

I honestly believe it would be a huge battle to take in the proper amount of protein. like you said, you would have to supplement with a shake. I believe your body needs a sustainable amount of protein from food. Besides all that, I LOVE meat!!! Beef, pork, chicken, fish & deer OH MY :):)

blastthru23

Unless one has some moral issue concerning the killing if animals, i think its a bad idea. Ive tried it, and it SUCKED. No energy, drive, strength drained. Needless to say i was spaced out, and couldnt think. Then, anxiety and slight depression. If one does go vegan, prepare to supplement with leucine and creatine more so than meat eaters.

SemperFi

I do not like vegan diets for me personally but we can get enough protein from non-animal proteins if we are eating the right foods in the correct combination. Plant based diets allow you to actually eat more often and larger portion sizes. Animal proteins and fats make you feel full quicker and longer. When you exclude animal proteins you will get hungry sooner and are able to eat more often. Being able to eat more often is a pretty cool thing concerning protein synthesis. Research has shown that when we consume 30gr of protein we trigger protein synthesis that can last up to 3 hours.

The major problem concerning plant based diets for bodybuilders is that animal proteins are a complete source of amino acids while plants are not. On top of that the fiber in some plant based proteins can actually prevent the digestion and absorption of some amino acids. The feeling of of tiredness or lack of energy that Blast describes is not uncommon. This could be associated with your body not getting enough protein to provide for its energy needs.

There is no disputing some of the health benefits of a plant based diet but at the same time arguments can be made disputing those benefits. In my personal life I try to focus on a complete balanced diet when not in ketosis and as I get older I see the the importance of moderation.

SEMPER FI

Dolf

I read a study that showed vegans have more health problems than those who eat a balanced diet. Vegans are lime crossfit people. They tell you within the first 5 seconds of meeting them what they are and constantly remind you.