Gym shoes

calmb4dastorm

We all wear them. Which ones, or styles do you find it easier or better to train in? I see Chuck Taylor's quite a bit and of coyrse the never-ending styles of Nike, Reebok and Adidas. I wear tennis shoes, boxing and wrestling boots as well as Otomix stingrays. I don't have a one pair suits all. Some are mire comfortable to me than others, some are better for me to squat in versus others etc. What's your shoe of choice for training and why?

SemperFi

Bare feet or mat shoes for stability when I can. Those comfort soled shoes are horrible for stability and place me at a higher risk of injury.

When I do find myself needing to wear an athletic shoes I generally wear a version of the Nike Air.... I like the light weight and ventilation of these shoes.

Sorry ladies.... I noticed after posting that this was in the women's training section.

SEMPER FI

srslybig

Nike metcons. Originally developed for CrossFit. They have a stiff flat sole perfect for lifting yet flexible enough to use them for a tough cardio session too. Perfect gym show for me. 

Msfit

Hello Calmb4dastorm,

I like to use flat boots from Ryderwear. I fond it very comfortable I do use it on days which the exercices require stability for example , when I have to perform movements as squats, deadlifts, bent-over-rows, stand shoulder presses and other compound or olympic movements. I prefere those because my body will be more stable and the regular trainers (like the running ones) tend to unbalance you a little/ to the front because your hells are higher/lifter in comparation with the toes. On other days, when I have to perform cardio, hiit and if the training doesn't require stand stance stability, I use running Nike trainers. 

Msfit

Male participation in women section forums is always welcome in my opinion :) we both can share experiences, knowledge and learn

blastthru23

Chuck taylors all day every day. Been living in them for a looonnnggg time. Its almost like being barefoot, and they are cheap as hell at Ross dress for less :)

B

bezerker

whats up freya. ??   i train in work boots , and also tims alot.  , it does not make to much of a differnce for me.  ...what ever works.  ....whats up my goddess   :)  

calmb4dastorm

It's great to see and hear from you! I see people train in boots at Gold's and Workout Anytime. You Know, its agaibst the rules at Planet Fitness to Workout in boots...seems to intimidate people ROTFLMAO! 

Not much going on with me bit cruising through the remainder of my bulk and trying to nurse left shoulder and knee pain. The seasons are a changing and my joints give me the fits when the temperature drops! Otherwise it's business as usual, Odin!Laughing

B

bezerker

:) 

tell me about it seasons go so quick.  , im going back to gym tomorrow morn ,   1st time in maybe 3 months.  i had to find my self. , then you know the sisuiation with mom.  , so i need to hold it together and the gym. is calling me.  ... love ya freya.  ...odin (sig)

SemperFi

Below are two abstracts that compared weight lifting shoes, athletic shoes and bare feet for squatting. They are not grossly informative but may provide a little information that could be useful. My personal take away is in bold in the second abstract.

Southwell, Daniel & A. Petersen, Shane & A.C. Beach, Tyson & Graham, Ryan. (2016). The effects of squatting footwear on three-dimensional lower limb and spine kinetics. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology. 31. . 10.1016/j.jelekin.2016.10.005. Altering footwear worn during performance of the barbell back squat has been shown to change motion patterns, but it is not completely understood how this affects biomechanical loading demands. The primary objective was to compare lower back and extremity net joint moments in 24 experienced weightlifters (12M, 12F) who performed 80% one-repetition maximum back squats under three different footwear conditions (barefoot, running shoes, weightlifting shoes). Results showed that there was a significant main effect of footwear condition on the knee extension moment (p= 0.001), where the running and weightlifting shoes produced significantly larger moments than the barefoot condition. There was also a main effect of footwear condition on knee external rotation moments (p=0.002), where the weightlifting shoe produced significantly larger moments than both other conditions. At the hip, there was also a main effect of footwear condition on the extension moment (p= 0.004), where the barefoot condition produced significantly larger moments than either the running shoe or weightlifting shoe condition. Lastly, there was also a significant main effect of footwear condition on both hip external (p=0.005) and internal (p=0.003) rotation moments, where the barefoot condition produced greater internal rotation and less external rotation moments than either shod condition. This study indicates that altering footwear conditions while performing the barbell back squat may redistribute the internal biomechanical loading patterns amongst the lower extremity joints and perhaps alter the musculoskeletal adaptations elicited.

Legg, Hayley & Glaister, Mark & Cleather, Daniel & Goodwin, Jon. (2016). The effect of weightlifting shoes on the kinetics and kinematics of the back squat. Journal of sports sciences. 35. 1-8. 10.1080/02640414.2016.1175652. Weightlifting shoes (WS) are often used by athletes to facilitate their squat technique; however, the nature of these benefits is not well understood. In this study, the effects of footwear and load on the mechanics of squatting were assessed for 32 participants (age: 25.4 ± 4.4 years; mass 72.87 ± 11.35 kg) grouped by sex and experience. Participants completed loaded and unloaded back squats wearing both WS and athletic shoes (AS). Data were collected utilising a 3D motion capture system synchronised with a force platform and used to calculate kinematic and kinetic descriptors of squatting. For both load conditions, WS gave significantly (P < 0.05) reduced ankle flexion and increased knee flexion than AS, as well as a more upright trunk and greater knee moment for the unloaded condition. In addition, the experienced group experienced a significantly greater increase in knee and hip flexion with WS than the novices when unloaded. These results are consistent with the idea that WS permit a more knee flexed, upright posture during squatting, and provide preliminary evidence that experienced squatters are more able to exploit this effect. Decisions about footwear should recognise the effect of footwear on movement and reflect an athlete's movement capabilities and training objectives.

SEMPER FE FI FO FUM - Fun and Fancy Free

ramdisck

when i can't wear my heals at the gym i go with a nice pump.  gets the workout done and still feel like a lady ;)

I am with Semp on the light weight ventilated shoe when needed. I go with the Nike Free Run series for that. feels like a slipper and comes off easy for leg days.