Home made protein shakes!

Titanings

I recently watched this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyrKq-KSIBo

And I am thinking about trying it out. I know that if you can take in the nutrients from real food your body will always do better with it than some mass gainer off the shelf. So I know we have some blender and mixer gurus here, so I am curious whats some of your guys favorite home made protein shakes? I am going to pick up some supplies in a couple days and start trying out the blender. Just trying to drum up some blending ideas so LETS HEAR LOTS OF THEM! :)

blastthru23

Mine is super simple. Pure whey isolate (45g), 5 tablespoons of oats or tapioca flour, 1 tablespoon of glucose, I teaspoon of cinnamon and pure cocoa powder. No blender required, just shake the hell out of it and you're done. Isn't all that tasty, but I was tired of super flavored protein along with the super price. 11 pounds of pure whey for 90-100$ makes super sense to me ;)

flagcia

Why using an isolate and add carbs when you could use a whey concentrate? Are you intolerant to lactose?

blastthru23

Whey concentrate make me have really nasty farts to put it bluntly lol. Otherwise, no not lactose intolerant. I think I would die with out milk, cheese, and yogurt! I add my own carbs to meet a certain macro profile. Also, I don't like overly sweet tasting pre made protein shakes, blegh, yuck. Besides, it's much cheaper :)

ESmetalhead

I remember when I first joined you guys talked about Gummy bears thats for the glucose right?  It spikes insulin, is the best to get that spike before or after a workout?   Seems I crave something extra whenever I eat a steak, I feel like my body wants something sweet. I wonder if glucose or another sugar  helps improve protein digestion.

blastthru23

The theory is that gummy bears or straight glucose spikes insulin which in turn aids in shuttling protein into cells, and refills glycogen. There is conflicting studies on this especially with the so-called anabolic window post work out.

Titanings

Ok here is what I did:

1 pkg-of sam's choice instant strawberry oatmeal (Walmart)-cost $2.50 for a pkg of 8  it has 26 carb, 1.5g fat, 7g protein, 140 calories

also bought a box of the blueberry kind with same stats from Walmart for $2.50

1/2 cup-quaker instant 1-minute oatmeal (Walmart)-cost $2.88 for tub with 30 servings,         27carb, 3g fat    , 5g protein, 150 calories

2 tbsp -great value natural creamy peanut butter (Walmart)-cost $3.13 with 23 servings,          6carb  , 16g fat  , 7g protein, 180 calories

1/2 cup- 2% milk (price chopper)-cost $3.75 for 32 servings in 1 gallon                                     6 carbs, 2.5g fat, 4g protein, 60 calories

6 egg whites - 5 dozen eggs (Walmart) -cost $3.45 for 5 dozen                                                 1.2carbs, .6g fat, 21.6g protein, 102 calories

1 banana- pkg bananas (Walmart) 47cents a pound-cost $2.57                                                  30carbs, 0g fat, 1g protein      , 124 calories

Total: cost was $20.78 for all items to make weight gainer smoothies  Marcros:    96.2 carbs, 22.5g fat, 45.6g protein, 756 calories

Flavor: tasted like a peanut butter and banana smoothie, blended well so wasn't any chunks, wasn't slimy or gritty.

Side note: May replace PB with PBFit from sam's club (cost $10) it is dried peanut butter with no fat in it (if I remember right) if fat is too high for daily macros since the peanut butter had 16g of fat out of the 22 total grams in that shake. Would add about $6.75 to total price

May also pick up a bag of frozen strawberries or blueberries for more flavors since didn't hardly taste strawberry oatmeal. But not really needed.

Now compare that to your mass gainer and tell me what you think

jasonking92

The peanut butter will be high in fats but most of that is good unsaturated fat I buy bulkpowders smooth 100% peanuts here in the UK. It has 46.1g fat per 100g  but only 8.2g saturated the other 37.9g are healthy mono fats. So the 2 tbsp you are using in my opinion would be fine the rest of your ingredients look good to me adding the frozen strawberries or blueberries will defiantly improve  the flavour.

Titanings

Was also thinking about it and if I needed to lower the fat I may use some Dannon light & Fit Greek Yogurt.

1/2 cup dannon light & fit vanilla greek yogurt (sam's club)- costs $5.48 for 12 of the 1/2 cup servings  6.5g carbs, 0g fat, 9g protein, 130 calories

A

Alwaysworking

I blend raw oats -natural peanut butter -half banana -whey.

Pwo is simply just 50g whey 60-80g dextrose water

Midmorning 2-3am 50g of casin with half cup of oats 

Titanings

I have figured out that I really am digging the home made protein shakes! My body seems to do so much better with real food (which totally makes sense) compared to mass gainers or other stuff. I say that totally based on how my body feels and reacts after taking a home made protein shake compared to a mass gainer shake. And I am getting better at blending the more I go :)

The other day I was needing to catch up on some protein so I made:

1/2 cup 2% milk

6 ice cubes

2 packets instant oatmeal (high protein kind)

12 egg whites

6 tbsp. PBfit

1 banana

1 cup dannon light and fit greek yogurt

2 scoops whey isolate

had an awesome frothy peanut butter banana flavor to it! plus had 1208 calories and 138 grams of protein LOL