How many meals are you getting

A

Alwaysworking

I shoot for 9 but normally get 8 and 2 shakes 1 pwo and 1 in the middle of the night about 230am. I try and get 2g of protein per body pound -carbs change day by day.

blastthru23

I eat/drink 6 per day. Works well with my daily schedule with work and training. However, when I run another bulk cycle in the fall/winter I may add a seventh which may be an intra workout shake, not sure yet. Either that or just add more carbs per meal, which could work, but the body can only use so much before converting excess into stored fat. Gotta find that sweet spot, which I can tell you already know this, can change from day to day. Even hour to hour a I'm hearing this lately about pre contest and peak week.

A

Alwaysworking

It took me making plenty of mistakes during the last week out I've changed from prejudging to the show b4 I finally hired a well known coach my last 2 shows and now it's down to a t. The timings of things is key the day b4 and day of for me. 

Titanings

7am protein shake, bowl of frosted wheats (cant hardly eat breakfast)

10am- home made protein mass gainer shake consisting of milk, oatmeal, banana, 4 tbsp PBfit, 12 egg whites, 2 scoops of protein, and sometimes a cup of yogurt, will drink half of it and save rest for later (has over 100g protein and 1k calories in it)

12:30am- Turkey breast or tuna sandwich, cup cottage cheese, cup dannon light and fit greek yogurt, some grapes or oranges or some type of fruit

3:30pm-rest of home made mass gainer shake

5:30 ish- protein shake pre and post workout, and usually some carb to eat after gym

8:30pm supper consisting of chicken breast, jasmine rice, then vegetables usually frozen spinach or Normandy blend, green beans, etc

If I feel like a snack later I eat like a protein bar or something.

Right now running 3700 calories at 40% protein/40% carb/20% fat and making sure its 1.75g protein per pound

SemperFi

I eat 6 meals a day like clock work plus include a casein protein shake upon waking and before bed. I prefer to get the majority of my calories from whole food sources and consume very limited processed foods. I avoid added sugars religiously and recommend anyone who struggles with fat loss to do the same.

I tried the 2am-3am meal for awhile but the sleep disruption was unacceptable. ;)

I used to supplement my protein intake heavily via protein shakes but found that I get better results from actual food sourced protein vs. processed. Micro nutrients are just as important as macro nutrients and I believe you miss these when you are not eating whole foods.

SEMPER FI

ramdisck

6 am oats, yogurt, milk chia seeds,  blueberries, flax, and hemp seeds.

8AM protein bar, 

9am protein shake

10:30 rice chicken tortilla

12: 8oz mixed nuts

2: rice chicken tortilla

5 chicken rice vegatable

7 protein shake.

and this is about 4300 calories.  so I am looking at adding in a milk shake somewhere or a bowl of ice cream.  still struggle with gains fat does not come easy to me and ive pushed genetics hard with muscle.

jasonking92

I normally wake 6am have whey protein 60g in 200ml water and one large banana.  hit gym in a semi fasted state (trying to use more body fat) from 6:40/7.00am -8:45/9.00am full body workout.  Another 60g whey protein in 200ml water while waiting for the 10.05 train home. Approx 10:30 I have three poached or boiled eggs with two seeded whole meal toast. About 11.30 tin of baked beans two slices of 50% fat cheese and a little chilly powder or other for taste. 12.30-1pm 100%peanut butter on seeded slice of bread. 2-2:30pm 20g protein yogurt pot.  4pm 2 shredded wheat with half cup of oats with skimmed milk.OR 160g Tin off tuna in brine drained. 6pm Home made chicken fillet/fat removed pork dinner or home made chicken curry balsmati rice ect. And normally an apple and pear around 7pm bed for about 8pm at 44y young this seems to be working for me. I am gaining size on my arms and chest while dropping waste size plus losing about 4/5 pounds a month currently 16st 9lb while slowly toning up  I think I have found my current sweet spot balance just got to let hard work and time do the rest and adjust when/if needed .

my supplements are: 2x Nu U (24 different)multivitamins, 2x 1000mg Omega 3 fish oil, 2x BCAA+, 7g Creatine in with my protein shake,  

(was taking Glucosaine sulphate 1500mg 2KCL but got headaches 4 days in a row shortly after taking so sent back I believe they contain potassium chloride a none sodium form of salt (I do not use salt in any foods)I believe This was what sent my blood pressure to 160 as it came back down a few days after stopping them).

Deviator

I shoot for 6 meals a day but my job can make it a little difficult. I don't always have access to "quality" food and find myself supplementing a lot with Protein shakes and bars. 

SemperFi

Devil Dog... OOH-RAH.

No excuses... adapt, overcome!

Meal planning and meal prep should be your course of action. The proper nutrients is one of our many sources for success.

“He who wishes to fight must first count the cost”  ― Sun Tzu

SEMPER FI

A

Alwaysworking

My buddy works construction and was having a hard time getting food in. They make food coolers that you can plug into your car to hear meals up. Gnc also makes a bag with the Tupperware in the had and everything is lauded out just have to fill them up. My wife helps a lot we cook on Sundays and wens for the week and Tupperware it all up. Then dinners together are different each night.

Jako

I eat 5 times + 1 whey protein shake.

I see some of you drink protein shake in the morning but I can't do it, I drink cofee with something delicious prepared by my wife.

After 1-2 hour I have another small meal.

Tlift

I'm getting 5 in a day. Are you guys striving for 35-40 grams of protein per meal? I'm new to meal prepping but I love it, & I started out packaging 8 oz of chicken with 1 & 1/3 cup brown whole grain rice per container.. but then I hear that's too much protein for the body to absorb in one meal and it would be better off to split it up. I guess roughly 40 grams of protein every 2 hours to keep protein synthesis at its max potential?

SemperFi

I rarely eat more than 5-6oz of protein per sitting. I have adopted a new more meals more often strategy. Eating smaller portions more often reduces digestive stress and based on some research better protein utilization. I also don't count the protein content of my other foods .... only those foods that are protein specific.

Everyone is an individual and so is their metabolism. Create a starting point and make small changes often (7-10 days) in either direction until you find what works best for you while providing you with the results you are trying to achieve. You will continually be making changes as your goals, age, training and supplementatio n changes. It's a pretty cool never ending, never mastered process.

SEMPER FI

blastthru23

Research has shown that a minimum of 20g of protein is required for MPS, and 40g is optimal. Furthermore, the quantity of protein per meal in excess of 40g had diminishing returns. The research was based on natural athletes, and suggested that enhanced athletes may benefit from greater amounts of protein. However, that is not to say protein consumption ad Infinitum is what one could do while enhanced. Keep in mind that high protein consumption over an appreciable amount of time may result in damage to the kidneys. I keep my protein consumption at no greater than 60g per meal while on cycle, and 40-50g while cruising per meal.

carbohydrates are another animal, and you must maintain accrue awareness of what tissue is gaining the weight. While in a mass gaining phase, you will likely and almost categorically, gain fat. Its like the slag you will have chip off of a weld made with an arc welder to reveal a well formed bead. Fat gets stripped off later. However,  you don't want blow up full of fat, so you, as an individual, will have to get to know how your body partitions nutrients. Start with a cookie cutter program perhaps, then tailor you can intake such that you, within reason, match your specific needs based on your specific physique, strength, or power goals.

Dolf

To me protein absorption and how much you can process at a time depends on your size and bf%. Many who count macros also use percentage based on body weight. If you notice you'll see individuals say the eat 1.5g of protein per pound of body weight. In theory a 150lb man would only eat 225g a day where a 200lb man would eat 300g per day. Why because in theory a 200 lb lean individual can use and process more protein than a 150lb lean individual could. Like SF I only count protein from pure protein sources lime chicken, Turkey, and eggs. Proteins I get from rice and other sources I don't include in that. I like to figure out my total daily protein needs, divide that by 6, and each of my 6 meals per day contains that much protein from meat. 

Dolf

Blast the high intake of protein is harmful to your kidneys is a myth. The only people who should be of concern over high protein consumption are those who have or have a family history of kidney disease. The last few years a group with an anti supplement agenda have been perpetuating false claims such as this and the fish oil causes cancer study that fit their agenda, but are complete and udder bullshit. 

blastthru23

Thanks for that update. That belief stems from years ago, and it just got stuck in my head as "matter of fact" info. I have thusly deleted that file and has been put through the shredder to become worm food!

Funny thing is that I heard it recently on a podcast, that excessively high protein can cause kidney damage. Seems it's still getting circulated as a fact