Infections and abscesses

milkin

Ever have an abscess ? It's something that will have you biting your nails wondering how, why, and what to do. It is not that hard to identify since they can swell up to the size of a softball. An abscess starts out as an infection and many people confuse pip as the beginning signs of an infection because they do not know what the true signs are.

There are two types of abscesses, septic and sterile and anyone dealing with needles may be susceptible to either one of the two. A septic abscess is a result of an infection and although they can occur anywhere in the body, THEY ARE USUALLY ATTRIBUTED TO POOR INJECTION TECHNIQUES. A clean environment should always be used when preparing your injections.  

As an infection begins to develop, white blood cells begin to gather and produce enzymes that attack the infection by digesting the infectious germ. The enzymes behave like acid killing the germs and breaking them down but body tissue is also sacrificed during this process.( That's why it is important to treat an abscess asap with antibiotics to help break down the infection and speed up the recovery process ) The result of this is a thick, yellow liquid pus containing digested germs, digested tissue, white blood cells, and enzymes. If you ever had to be an abscess drained, sorry for the flashback.

As mentioned above, an abscess is the last stage of an infection but there are several signs that surface long before it mutates to that stage. Below is a list of symptoms that one might experience in the beginning stages of an infection:

Increased body temperature.

Redness around injection site.

Swelling around injection site.

Sensitivity around injection site- basically it hurts !

Remember, these are the beginning stages of an infection and as it progresses the infected tissue starts to turn to liquid thus forming an abscess. So its best to treat this in the "Infected stage" rather then the abscess stage.

Now a sterile abscess is not quite as bad but can cause discomfort and scaring. Sterile abscess are caused by nonliving irritants such as drugs. If an injected drug is not absorbed, it stays where it was injected and may cause enough irritation to generate a sterile abscess. It is call a sterile abscess because there is no infection involved. THIS IS MOST COMMONLY CAUSED BY NOT ROTATING INJECTION SITES. Sterile abscesses usually turn into hard, solid lumps as they scar, unlike a septic abscess that remain as pockets of pus.

So exercise good injection techniques and try to make your work area as sterile as possible and remember to always rotate injection sites.

built_tough

i agree.  make sure to use 2 seperate needles when running an IM injection. one to draw and one to shoot.  never use the same needle to draw and shoot with.  you can however use the same needle to draw mutliple compounds from different vials, IF you use a alcohol wipe , which should be used regardless , to clean the top of the vial with, each and every time you inject into a new vial.  i have never experienced an infection and thank god.  what i would consider doing is that if you do get high temperature , make sure to monitor it closely.  if you catch a fever, GO TO THE HOSPITAL IMMEDIATLEY.  that is a sign that the white blood cells have failed in containing this infection and it has started to spread, which can and will kill you , if not treated.  

injection site rotation is also important.  although i keep my injection sites to mainly 6 locations.  well maybe 8.  i would have 2 spots on each glute.  one spot on the deltoid and just below the deltoid , on each arm.  make sure that if you do 2 spot injections on the glutes, to keep the injections a few incches away.  what i would do is, if i had an lump and i had to inject in the glute again, due to the time of injection and all other spots being used, i would move as far away from the lump as i could to inject , but this is different case by case.  it might make the lump even bigger almost as if both have connected somehow. normaly, mild discomfort is normal, but the initial injection of a new compound may have some reaction on your body, until it gets used to it.  good luck.

jaf0311

im experiencing some sweeping and redness around my right knee. My last pin was 2 days prior to the onset of the swelling. Injection site was the right quad with test prop and Npp. the injection site feels fine. No pip or swelling whatsoever. My knee however several inches below injection site is really swollen and hot to the touch. I always use separate needles for drawing and injecting, alcohol wipes for vials and injection site etc. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Ermahgerd

I guess I've been lucky to never have an abscess, great information though :)

I do however know which carrier oils i will have a reaction to, so if I stay away from those I'm all set.

But like stated above, if you have a fever or any stuff oozing out of you go to the fuckin ER lol.

MRFIXIT

Is this a new injection site for you, i know its weird but ive had the pain travel down to my knee area a few time when i first started  using quads

and an injection site... id give it a few days. It should start getting better. If not ... well  Dr visit i guess...

jaf0311

Third injection in this quad this cycle. im going to give another day or two like you said and the go see my doc. Hopefully he doesn't aske too many questions lol. 

Ermahgerd

Don't say anymore than needs to be said. But be honest with your Dr about your situation. I know a lot of guys might say to lie, but chances are your Dr knows what up whether you tell them about or not. And that's the best way you are gonnA get proper treatment. 

Or find a Dr who is cool with AAS use, like mine ;)

R

ruxgear

Be 100% honest. Patient-Doctor confidentiality.

Check your temp. Even a slight increase can be the tell-tell signs of infection.

Warpedlifter

If the pain isn't even at injection site I can almost guarantee it isn't an infection but rather inflammation from crystallized gear. If you practice sterile injection techniques and use sterile gear....which most is. You will never get an infection.

I believe it's good practice to keep some antibiotics on hand tho just in case. Helps with peace of mind too.