Is your Protein powder posioning you ?

milkin

We have all heard about high levels of metals that are in protein powders haven't we ?

Many folks will power down 4-6 of these drinks daily not realizing the hidden extras that accompany them. Arsenic, mercury, lead, and many other metals are in that powder you elect to drink as a source of protein. Personally I use protein powder but limit consumption to post workout for a shot of fast absorbing protein, and a casein shake before bed for its slow absorbing properties. All other protein should be obtained via food !! With Chicken, beef, beans, and plenty of other protein sources to choose from, solid protein is the way to go IMO.

Consumer reports did extensive testing quite some time back and it really sparked debates on the integrity of these supplements. Here is a good link that contains a chart on the top 15 protein powders and you will also fine consumer reports link on their study.

>> http://www.tonygentilcore.com/blog/does-your-protein-supplement-have-more-heavy-metal-than-a-metallica-concert/

Google this topic and you will find numerous articles on this topic similar to this one:

http://www.thehealthyboy.com/2010/07/heavy-metals-found-in-your-protein.html?m=1

12trinity

Milken,

Thanks for this post. I had no idea of this info. I consume approx. 4 shakes a day. I mix some as a wake up drink, pre and post workout  1 part of my pre lunch or after lunch and one before bed.

I will look further into this and make the adjustments.

Thanks

12trinity

Oh and I forgot to mention that I make my own protein bars and use them for a snack or at the gym for a pick me up.

That can add up to some serious crap in my body when you figure that I make a lot of my food so I keep out as much of the preserves as I can and the protein powder is pumping them into me faster then one can imagine.

Time to get more into egg whites............

siegmund

Good post milk,I agree like I said I can't drink them ,I get sick to stomach almost like throw up I get shaky .

jonathan

thats very interesting,and i did read about absorbsion rates can be quite low as whey shakes travel to quickly through the stomach tract for the enzymes to break the protein down,i emailed a company i get mine as a study showed by adding enzyme supplements before food or shakes enhances this absorbsion of the protein,they pointed out they thought about adding enzymes to their protein but found it wouldnt be cost effective for them.

D

dolfanshan

Gathering your nutrients from food is always the best way. When I'm cutting is when my protein shake intake goes way up. I want massive amounts of protein, but not the calories. When bulking its very easy to get my protein needs without shakes. Whey protein is partially digested to help with absorption, and Muscle Pharms Combat powder which is a blended protein powder has probiotics added in to help with absorption. Muscle Pharm also lists every ingredient in their products. You'll never see propietary blend in their ingredients.

D

dolfanshan

Honestly I've never gave it much thought. I don't see how it could hurt, but I'm not qualified to tell you it would help either. Lol

jonathan

ive ordered some ,really cheap supplement and as you say it cant do any harm,with the price on protein id like to think my bodies getting the most out of what im paying for 

I like my protein shake, but they don't like me!

Am I the only person who suffers from extremely pungent 'wind' when on shakes. When I say pungent I mean smells like something has crawled up and died - made me nauseous. Didn't wait to be thrown out of bed - took myself off to spare room!  Shakes now are limited to post workout only.

Don't get this from whole foods - to boost my protein I snack on nuts (mostly peanuts, 'cos I love them, but know they are high in salt so try to add in cashew, brazils and raisins (for some sweetness).

D

dolfanshan

T40 that happens to me when I drastically up my protein, but its only temporary until my body gets adjusted. What kind of protein are you taking? Whey, casein, egg, or a blend?

It's a whey protein with added creatine, glutamine and HMB.

Off cycle I take only after work out (roughly every other day) but I ran my first cycle at end 2014 and really upped training and protein (trying to hit target) so had a shake each morning and 1 post work out (training 6 days per week). Ran that for 3 months and it didn't settle down. Strangely it wasn't too bad during the day (otherwise I would have to have stopped - could not poison my colleagues - office worker) but at night - toxic!

On the plus side - back in my own bed now. But itching to start second cycle, which means need to up intake again.

D

dolfanshan

Try changing brands and see if it helps. Maybe go with a blend type protein. I've been woken up in the middle of the night with the covers off of me, the light on, the ceiling fan on high, and the wife faning the door bitching at me...lol

I know your pain brother! :)

Gonnae try another brand with next cycle, should be finished current tub by then.

Thanks for your input.

armonda85

for a year I did shakes of wide variety from GNC, and nothing agreed with me, let alone gave me the results I wanted. Here are a few shakes I use that I'm happy with. Soy and usually gluten free, little to no man made fillers that make the stomach trun or smells like the cold depths of hell. The worst thing I hated about the GNC or Walmart sold shakes, my urine was dark yellow and stank like I ate asparagus. this was likely from all the fillers in the shake powder.

http://www.isagenix.com/en-US/products/categories/individual-items/isalean-shake

http://www.isagenix.com/en-US/products/categories/individual-items/isa-pro

http://www.isagenix.com/en-US/products/categories/individual-items/isalean-pro

https://www.naturesplus.com/spirutein/

No no I am not trying to promote these products. These agreed with my stomach. After a long struggle of trying to find products figured some of this information would benefit someone.