Keto diet...how does it work?

Dolf

Ketosis is a metabolic state that happens when ketones elevate beyond normal levels. 

Ketones are formed when fats and fatty acids are used as your bodies fuel source. The body generally gets its energy from carbs. When we don't get enough carbs, stored fat is broken down. 

High levels of ketones can be dangerous if your a diabetic. It's a condition called ketoacidosis. If you don't have diabetes then there's nothing to worry about. 

Normal high carb diets cause a rise in glucose levels. As a result the pancreas secretes insulin to counteract the elevated glucose. Insulin brings the glucose into the bodies cells and stores it as glycogen. Some glucose is used for energy, and the rest is stored for when blood glucose levels drop.

Keto diet is different. Glycogen stores will begin to deplete because it's required for energy. When it isn't replenished the body turns to fatty acids for energy. Fatty acids from fat tissue is mobilized during beta oxidation. In this process ketones are released from the liver. The liver can't use ketones so they're sent to the brain for fuel. The fatty acids freed is also used as fuel which equates to fat being burned.

Ketosis leads to lower insulin levels which leads to less glucose being stored as fat. 

Ketosis helps supress appetite. High carb diets increase hunger levels. Ketones affect cholecystokinin a hormone that makes you feel fuller.

This is just a little bit of the science behind ketosis, and how it works vs high carb diets.

To get into ketosis is different for everyone, but a good starting point is 50g of carbs or less per day. You can buy strips you pee on that'll let you know if you're in ketosis, or there's also test strips you can use in blood glucose meters to detect ketones in your blood which is more accurate but very expensive.

SemperFi

Good post.

Not to mention the relationship between ketones and ATP. Far superior energy source for the human body than carbs.

- Keto Whore

Dolf

My last cut was with a low fat ultra clean diet. It was successful, but I still prefer keto because it's a lot easier for me personally. 

Dolf

Yea brotha my thought is if prople can see a bit of the science behind ketosis they might give it a try.

anabolx

I still haven't understand what really the different between the ketogenic diet vs anabolic diet.

Both seems to me pretty much the same.

SemperFi

Very similar with one major difference.....

Anabolic diets requires carb reload on the weekends which would take you out of a ketonic state. In a sense an anabolic diet is simply a revised keto diet. 

The most effective keto diets, in my experience, is to become ketone adapted. Ketone adaptation allows the body to use the huge supply of fatty acid fuel that everyone possess virtually 24 hours a day,  7 days a week.

Be advised that every individual reacts differently to low carb diets and it may not be something that you can comfortably adapt to. When in doubt seek professional advice.

SEMPER FI

anabolx

I've been running the Anabolic diet for a long time. simply it's part of my life, I don't eat too much carbs in daily.

But I agree with the adaption. in the first month it was hard, after that I can't see I'm going to change my diet again.

Dolf

The theory behind the carb loading day is that it tricks your body into believing it's getting carbs for fuel which in turn keeps the body burning more fat because many believe that the body will begin storing fat and eating muscle if in ketosis for too long. It's the bodies primal instict to store fat at all cost for hard times. I've read up on this and have done it myself. I like it too. Some mistake carb load day for cheat day and think they can pig out on pie, cookies, and cake. That's not true. You lower your protein and fat intake while raising your carbs for that day. The first carb load day is 2 weeks after the diet starts, and then every week after that.

SemperFi

The key to a successful keto or anabolic diet is to ensure you increase your protein intake to prevent catabolism. In the absence of glucose in our diet the body will begin to produce it own from protein (gluconeogenesis). To ensure your body doesn't start using its own muscle mass to accomplish this we must increase our dietary protein intake to appropriate levels.

SEMPER FI

SemperFi

"many believe that the body will begin storing fat and eating muscle if in ketosis for too long."

This can only happen in the absence of sufficient quantities of dietary proteins.

SEMPER FI

SemperFi

Received a PM about ketosis and that spurred me to revive an older thread.

Ketosis is a state where your body produces ketones which is an indication your body has switched to a fat adapted metabolism (burning fat for fuel).

The main struggle that many first time keto dieters have is actually getting into ketosis.

The faster you can get in ketosis, the more effective the low-carb diet becomes. Why? Because the brain can only use carbs and ketones for fuel. When you go low carbs but aren't yet in ketosis, your brain will crave carbs for energy and you get sugar cravings. When ketones are being produced, the brain will use them instead and you won't crave carbs as much. So the faster you can achieve ketosis the better the phycological effects will be on your body (reduced stress).

It typically takes 2-3 days to achieve ketosis because the body has to use all the glycogen that is has stored from carb feeding before it will begin to produce ketones.

Many professional and avid amateurs use insulin to reach ketosis faster. Insulin drives blood glucose into the muscles and reduces the mobilization of glycogen for fuel. As a result your blood sugar goes down and the body switches to a ketogenic state faster.

I am not a supporter or recommending the use of insulin. I have never touched it and never will. I do not make my living transforming my body and the risk far outweigh the rewards. 

There is a safer way that you can help your body achieve ketosis. Certainly not a quick as direct injections of insulin but much quicker than you could by diet alone and that is with the use of leucine. Leucine is a ketogenic amino acid and leads into a safe and natural insulin spike. If you do not ingest any carbs 1 hour before and approx. 2 hours after taking leucine you will lower your blood glucose significantly. Helping you achieve ketosis much faster.

Hope this helps you combat the phycological effects and reduce the time it takes you to reach ketosis.

SEMPER FI

SemperFi

KetoCaNa does not place you into ketosis. This product contains D and L BHB which is an exogenous ketone supplement which mimics the endogenous ketone body. Once the supplement is utilized your body will go back to using glycogen for fuel.

But I can see that it could be beneficial in assisting you achieve ketosis with proper diet and could assist in relieving the phycological stress of achieving ketosis.

Supplemented ketosis and natural ketosis are different.

SEMPER FI

Dolf

Sharon...to come back and edit your post with an x just because someone else expresses a different opinion is childish! A lot of members here have put in lots of time and effort to help guide you in the right direction to achieving your goals. As of late it seems like if it doesn't match what you want to hear you get your feathers ruffled. We took you in after being bashed and ridiculed at other sites, made you feel welcomed and accepted, and spent much effort to assist you any way we could. As of late it all seems very unappreciated. 

Dolf

To update my current keto diet is 60 to 70% fats, 25 to 30% protein, snd 5% carbs in a slight caloric deficit. I've added 7lbs lean mass, and lost 17lbs fat in 5 weeks according to my bf calculator. Clen is also geing used the last 4 weeks. Once I get back below 12% bf a clean lean bulk will be in order.

Dolf

Sharon you know I love you, but sometimes tough love is needed for us all. Myself included. These horomones can bring out a side of ourselves at times we look back at and say that wasn't me. Keep your chin up, and always feel free to express your opinion. We're not gonna always agree on everything. It would make for a boring site full of sheeple members.