Keto diet...how does it work?

Dolf

One way I'm adding healthy fats daily is I'm adding a teaspoon of coconut oil to every cup of coffee. I drink 4 to 6 cups per day.

R

ruxgear

I use a lot of coconut, mct and avocado oil when I am on a keto diet. Maybe not popular to bodybuilding but I like unsweetened dark chocolate as well. One ounce of dark chocolate has about 10g of healthy fat.

rr4298

im only a week in but food is just better with fat. I do sense my focus has improved and the usual 4 hr hypo hell seems better. I don't get the 2 hr feed trigger or else symptoms now. Keto sticks indicate I'm producing ketones net carbs very close to 20. 1/2 BBQ burger plus a BBQ 6oz chicken breast , cup broccoli, 2 tblsp coco oil , 1/4 cup of raw almonds, covers two meals in the zone. Breakfast forget about it, 3 eggs , 5 strips of bacon, 1/2 avacodo, coffee with 1 tbspn coco oil , 1/4 cup of heavy whip cream , 1/2 avacodo. Dinner , 7 oz juicy ribeye smothered in coconu "t oil and lite salt", mushrooms and asparagus bbq in coco oil and hot peppers, pepper.  

This better not be a trick to fatten me up , because I can eat like this all the time. 

flagcia

Greetings Dolf, 

could you tell which AAS where you using during that keto? I've always believed that keto was counterproductive in AAS bcause very low insulin wont bring aminos to the muscle cells, then making muscle growth negligible, but your LBM added while BF decrease has caught my attention.

Also, eating too much fat, even only good fats, wont have a bad impact raising both good and bad cholesterol?

I'm starting a cycle in a couple weeks or so, but as I'm not low in BF (I'm around 17-20%) I might give a try to a keto recomposition cycle, maybe using low/medium doses of tren/test for 4-5 keto weeks then switching to deca/test bor clean bulk another 7-8weeks.

Many thanks in advance.

Dolf

I don't remember exactly what type of gear I was on, but the gear is irrelevant. The body shifts from using insulin to using keytones. Keytones are just as efficient if not more efficient at shuttling nutrients to your cells.

You logically would think that a high fat diet would impact both ldl and hdl in a negative way, but the opposite holds true. It's been quite a while since I've read the science behind it, so I'm not gonna quote off the top of my head, but I'll refresh myself on it and get back to you.

flagcia

Didn't know about the ability of ketone bodies to shuttle nutrients into cells. I'm gonna research on that as soon as I find a couple free hours. Once I tried going full keto but a couple times a week I fell into drinking more than 1 liter of milk during sleeptime... took me long time after getting used to avoid milk even after going to a "normal" diet, I became mentally addicted.

Thanks, will update too with what I find about it ;)

Dolf

I generally vo with 65 to 70% fats, 25 to 30% protein, and 5% or less carbs per day in about a 400 to 500 caloric deficit. After 2 weeks of low carbs I take 1 day per week to carb reload. Essentially I raise my carbs and lower protein and fats for that day. You may feel sluggish the first 2 weeks, but once the body fully converts from carbs and insulin to keytones your energy levels will return.

Also ketosis is a diuretic so large intakes of water daily are needed.

flagcia

I've read many times that 'lowering protein and raising carbs for reload'. Is it more efficient to deliver glycogen this way? Or just because not so much protein is needed since muscle loss will be avoided because not gluconeogenesis takes place that day?

SemperFi

Reloading would be a version of an Anabolic Diet.

Here are a few reads on the subject of keto and anabolic dieting-

https://musclegurus.to/forum/training-nutrition-and-diet/diet-and-nutrition/130365-the-anabolic-diet

http://dropcanvas.com/uridv

SEMPER FI

ImmMax

i have at least 5 co workers that did this and lost at least 20lbs each, one guy lost 60. i think consistency is going to be the key here. they did the one where they send you meals too, which is nice but expensive