Life Lessons

SemperFi

I have this log book from the military. Anyone that is old school military can remember the pale green log books that we used on guard duty, barracks/fire watch, armory, chow hall, etc. Since the early 80's I have been recording some of my life lessons, notable quotes and things that just catch my attention in this log book. Well today, without going into details, here is what was written in it's pages.

Take it for what it is worth, chew on it, or laugh me off the forum for a day. ;)

• What you don't know..... You don't know.

• What you know..... You know.

• What you think you know.... You don't know.

SEMPER FI

blastthru23

For me, the “don’t know” definitely far outweighs the “do know”. That’s one thing I know. The other thing I know is that “you can’t be sure of any situation, something could change and then you don’t know” —Missing Persons

blastthru23

[[{"fid":"36954","view_mode":"default","fields":{"format":"default"},"type":"media","link_text":null,"attributes":{"alt":"\"Destination Unknown\" - Missing Persons","class":"media-element file-default"}}]]

Alpha Omega

SemperFi said:
</p><p>I have this log book from the military. Anyone that is old school military can remember the pale green log books that we used on guard duty, barracks/fire watch, armory, chow hall, etc. Since the early 80's I have been recording some of my life lessons, notable quotes and things that just catch my attention in this log book. Well today, without going into details, here is what was written in it's pages.</p><p>Take it for what it is worth, chew on it, or laugh me off the forum for a day. ;)</p><ul><li>What you don't know..... You don't know.</li><li>What you know..... You know.</li><li>What you think you know.... You don't know.</li></ul><p> </p><p>SEMPER FI</p><p> </p><p>
</p><p>Isnt that a Biggie song? What you say is very true. I know the green book all to well ;)</p><p> </p>

BobbyO190

In my opinion very wisely said. Many basic 'twist back' philosophical concepts and even 'mantras' are openly contradictory in a way that is both silly and extremely deep. The wise man realizes he must know some and must be able to ACT on what he KNOWS. Then he must be able to react as he learns that there are levels and contradictions to what can actually be truly known.

Basic study of epistemology. But you knew I would like it so I don't really count!  (For those who don't want to look it up 'epistemology' is the philosophical study of the question "can we truly know anything?"   The answer is No, unless you agree as I do with Rene' Descarte and that the proof is "I think, therefore I am" which furthermore proves the existence of God and the ability/assurance to know that you know what you can know.

Happy weekend brothers!

You can add to this too:

• What you don't know..... You don't know. 
  • What you know..... You know. 
  • What you think you know.... You don't know. 
  • To know and not do... Is not to know