Light Weight Training for Muscle Development

SemperFi

Hey Old Dogs,

I am getting ready to change up my training schedule after the first of the year. I want to develop and implement a strict light weight training regimen for muscle development. The purpose is injury prevention and offering a proven routine for those with muscular or joint limitations due to past injuries. My hopes is to personally prove a effective program that can be shared with others.

I am asking for input from members who have or have had limitations due to past injuries. What exercises, rep ranges, TUT, contraction, extension, etc. has worked for you in regards to lean body mass gains using lighter than typical weight?

Thanks in advance for your help.

SEMPER FI

I subscribe to the periodization training methodology so I have light weight, high volume routines I rotate in and out of my training for all muscle groups. Every 6 weeks I rotate from heavy, medium or light weight with the volume changing inversely to the weight. 

Occasionally i rotate these workouts around for chest and shoulders more often then every 6 weeks because I'm old, feeble and have a tricky right shoulder. I just play those muscles by ear.

I've found I tend to gain the most with higher reps, 15-20 range, and a slower tempo. Sets last 45 seconds or so at a minimum. The workouts are actually exhausting too because the TUT is so long. 

I also time my cycles with medium and light weight periods. Strength is great but I feel I'm strong enough and considering my age, I would rather move 7.5# dumbbells during a shoulder giant set, get a massive pump and build huge caps then try and shoulder press  315# to keep up with the young guns. If I tried, I'd be on the DL so fast I'd never get to lift again.

strong

Razor, Sending you a friend request... You seem to be a straight up guy... Easy on the age shit.. I got 8 years on you and I feel like a pup.... Glad you joined...

strong

As you know, 2 Years ago this time I injured myself on heavy bench press. I already had bulging disks in the neck that just blew out. It sure as shit spiraled from there because I tried to work through it the ignorant way... You know, Man it out... Yea, That didn't work. 

I cut all free weights except light dumbells and did mostly Cable work. I was able to achieve great pumps in the 15 to 20 rep range. I decided it was time to focus on losing BF and try to strengthen all ancillary muscles.  I had a problem with muscle spasms and knotting up as well so I wasn't able to handle Time under tension training or i'd spasm up in the gym and just get pissed.  All I can say is I mastered near perfect reps and learned to work passed when I thought I was complete with my set. I never set a number in my head anymore before a set but id be burning my muscles pass the point of painful and do 3 more reps. That's where the mind power comes in and you push yourself in other ways. I tell you I was a sweaty mess every workout.  Extreme negatives and full extention on every rep.  I will say I didn't like that way of training. I just always loved pounding heavy weight. It was a blessing in disguise. I am now able to train heavy again and give it 1 last go But during those times I was able to focus on losing BF and really learning to use my mind to keep a serene mentality during training if that makes any sense...

Ha! Thanks Strong! I try to be as real as I can and as I've said before, I want to be involved and a part of the community as much as possible. 

SemperFi

I am a fan of TUT and it has served me well. I mix tempo within a set i.e. 5-1-3-1, 4-1-2-1, etc.

SEMPER FI

SemperFi

Thank for sharing your personal experience Strong. It will help me not to be self focused in the design of the training regimen. It makes me think of a set of Lincoln Logs (remember their popularity when we were kids), every piece is the same design but you can build whatever you want with them.

With enough input (pieces) I am hoping to have a Collectors Set of Lincoln Logs. ;)

SEMPER FI

strong

Hmmmm, That's one of those things/analogies that you say that will stick with me.  Fuckin Lincoln Logs... All the same piece but you can build what you want... That's literally Brilliant.. Not sure if you made that up or read it. Either way it got conveyed to me and I use that one for fuel...

SemperFi

That is one that came out of the thin air when I was reading your experience. Finally get to use this word.... I had an EPIPHANY! I have always wanted to say that. ;)

Thanks Strong for inspiring me to look beyond just myself.

SEMPER FI

SemperFi

As I begin thinking of preserving or gaining muscle due to age, current muscle or joint limitation(s) some thoughts come to my mind.....

Is there a direct relationship between muscle strength and muscle size? I am not saying if I get stronger I wont be bigger. I am wondering if there is a direct connection or not. The scientific and anecdotal evidence is tipped in the favor of there is NOT a direct connection. That is the building block I will work from.

If muscle size was directly related to muscle strength than the top tier bodybuilders would be the strongest individuals on the planet. If muscle size was directly related to muscle strength than some of the strongest olympic powerlifters in the lower weight divisions would be monsters.

I can train for size and strength at the same time but if my primary goal is pure strength then I should focus my training on that. If my primary goal is ascetics then I need to focus my training to achieve that goal. If I am wanting a balanced approach then my training development needs to take both factors into account.

As of right now if a balanced approach is the goal periodization training makes the most sense to me.

Digging out everything I have on the central nervous system and muscle fiber recruitment. Needing more Lincoln Log pieces to build three houses. ;)

SEMPER FI

Dolf

I say no for seasoned lifters. Compare a powerlifter and body builders legs vs how much they can squat. There's no comparison. 

However for the new lifter the approach should be that strong muscle makes for big muscle.

Dolf

I say no for seasoned lifters. Compare a powerlifter and body builders legs vs how much they can squat. There's no comparison. 

However for the new lifter the approach should be that strong muscle makes for big muscle.

SemperFi

I took that into consideration Dolf. I should have quantified my above post. Since I am focusing on injury and something that is generally associated with age I am making the assumption that I am working with some experience and not a novice. Thanks for the input with which I completely agree.

SEMPER FI

SemperFi

Here is a recent very small study comparing drop set resistance training to conventional resistance training. I am not sure any type of consensus can be formed from such a short study involving only 16 participants. I can easily post several studies that have conflicting conclusions but I also can provide several studies that support the conclusion of this particular study. ;)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28474868

SEMPER FI

Fantastic! I love this shit! Got any more?

By only reading this abstract you can get a gist that drop sets may be just as or more effective then conventional sets. Now, it's just a abstract so we don't see the whole study but you mean to tell me I only have to do 1 drop set and it will be as effective as 3 normal sets? Awesome! Time saved so I can read some more studies!

But wait a minute, this doesn't tell the whole story and I am going to poke a million holes in this abstract...

What level of 1RM were the conventional sets performed under? What level of 1RM did the drop set start at and at what % did the weight drop at each interval? Were the conventional sets done to failure? Were the conventional sets a % of 1RM only to 10 reps? 5 reps? 20 reps? 

Or the kicker: were they timed? If so, was the total TUT for the 3 conventional sets the same as the TUT total for the drop set?

I tried to get to the entire study article but the link isn't working to check if any of these parameters were taken into account but I guess the point I am trying to make is to always use a skeptical eye when reading studies. If everything checks out, great! But wouldn't this mean this is really a measure of overall intensity, not that drop sets are better than conventional sets?

I would love to see a study just like this looking at all of the variables to see if it really matters what set methodology is used (this study might have this info and I am just a fucking asshole). I don't personally think it does and that's why TUT has become so popular. It translates over so many areas of training and always works in the end. If a muscle is under tension for a total given amount of time under a given amount of weight (%1RM) and the amount of time or weight is increased as a trainee improves then boom! Gains!

Granted, it's not THAT simple but us Meatheads are smart so we can figure the rest of this iron game out on our own.

I'll get off my soapbox now

SemperFi

Go to your profile. I sent you a friend request. In the future if you want to PM a member they first need to be added as a friend. To add a friend click the link below their avi in the forum topic.

SEMPER FI