Losing stomach fat

dixona1986

I don't know if fat genes are a real thing or not, but if they are I have them. Everyone in my family seems to gain more weight in their stomach area. This is the last place that I lose fat, and it's the hardest to keep off. 

I drink plenty of water, try to stay off of soda (my biggest weakness), do core exercises, eat healthy, and it's still there. It seems like since I turned 30, it's even harder to maintain than it was before. 

What do other women do with this? Does everyone have a problem area and I'm just being a crybaby about mine?

SemperFi

I am not a female but I sure love them. ;)

This applies to everyone male or female.... You can't overcome genetics and you can't spot reduce body fat. The only way to get rid of your stomach fat is to loose overall body fat...... unfortunately due to fat makeup your stomach fat will be some of the last to go. ;)

FYI- 

http://www.livestrong.com/article/303582-why-is-belly-fat-the-last-to-go/

https://www.caloriesecrets.net/why-is-my-stomach-the-last-place-to-lose-weight/

SEMPER FI

calmb4dastorm

Up there. It's a never-ending battle to lose belly fat, but people do it all the time. Genetics determines the predisposition of each individuals body type. No we can't overcome genetics, but we can set our will against it and fight the fine fight each day. Obesity runs rampant in my family. But I am not obese because I make conscious decisions daily about my food intake. 

Abs are made in the kitchen...pure and simple. There are multiple reasons why you may not be seeing results.

"Eating healthy?" What are you eating? What are your macros like? What's your training regimen like? How often do you train abs in particular? What are your goals? Lastly, tell us what you are willing to GIVE UP (yes, GIVE UP) to reach your goals? .I don't want to know what you are willing to do to attain them.

Think about that question long and hard.....

answer these questions and let's see if we can help you more. 

bigdawgjr

Calm, i currently dont include any abs workouts in my routine, should i consider adding some?Im FAF anyways and droping fat by the pounds monthly.

strong

+2   This is a perfect answer calm. Setting your will is key...  Make it an all out assault against Body Fat. This needs to be a lifestyle not a diet.

calmb4dastorm

Adding core training has never hindered progress (that I have heard of LOL). Shedding body fat does not automatically strengthen or add mass to your muscles. So it's safe to say that it also does not produce abs of steel. When we think about training, we need to train the entire body... this includes training of the mind too. But truly the determining factor is whether or not you have an goals. ;-)

calmb4dastorm

It's so true. I often get requests for personal training from people. They go into all the things they will do...I Know you are willing to go to the gym if you are seeking a personal trainer. Duh. For ME, to take you as a client, I have to Know that you're willing to give up some things. That's why PT is not my day job. Many are not willing to give up some of the things they enjoy and it's usually food and alcohol. If one is willing to give up some things, that tells me they will be committed to reaching their goals and my time won't be wasted. 

blastthru23

I get so many people asking me what I take as far as supplements go. I say I don't really take anything, its really just diet. They sometimes go as far to as what my diet it is, and when I tell them, they just give me this weird look and say I could never do that. I just shrug, and keep going. Then the other day day, this fellow at the grocery store asks "How did get like that?" Tired of my typical response about training and diet, I say "Hella drugs, man." He laughed. Then I said, I eat chicken rice and asparagus 6 times a day and train 6 days per week. You know what his answer to that was... Same as everyone else's..."Shit dude, I can't do that!" I hate the word "can't"! 

jasonking92

Totally agree with all the above advice. its all down to having a great diet. A regimental workout routine keeping a log helps a lot. And taking control of your life do not let life run you. Be committed in every way even when your friends are out drinking and parting even when your super tired. you need to be strong mentally keep it up long enough and I promise you your body and mind will get stronger. And do not be afraid of asking for advice there is a lot of VERY experienced brothers and sisters on this site.

A good tip for losing belly fat is to do your workouts on an totally empty stomach (fasted state). also morning workouts seem to burn more calories over the day.

Dolf

+3 Calm

Abs are indeed made in the kitchen and not the gym! Eating healthy and eating to attain a goal are two different animals. 

A few tips from my experience. 

Always eat breakfast within 30min upon waking. Why? Your metabolism stays asleep and does not kick on until you put food in your belly. Breakfast is indeed the most important meal of the day.

Cut out all carbs from dinner time until bedtime. 

Starvation or eating hardly nothing actually puts the body into a fat storing mode. When you're not taking in enough calories the body will save the fat and start eating the muscle. Many women are guilty of this type of so called dieting. 

Figure out your tdee and always count your macros

Make small changes at a time to your eating habits. You'll be more likely to stick to it rather than making drastic changes or taking on a diet so extreme you'll never stick to it.

Don't use a scale as your form of judgement as to whether you are making progress. Use the mirror and a tape instead.

Keep in mind this is a marathon and not a sprint. Most individuals on here have spent many years working on the physique they currently sport.

Shedding fat and alcohol do not mix. You must give up the alcohol for the time being. Lots of carbs and empty calories in alcohol. 

Write down your goals and maybe even find a pic of the type physique you want. Carry these with you at all times. When the temptation to break your diet or not go to the gym arises pull them out and look at them. Some of my best training sessions have come on days I absolutely did not feel like going. 

Take weekly pics of your progress so you can view them for motivation. You and those you spend everyday with won't notice the transformation as much as those you only see every now and then. The pics will show you.

Hopefully some of these tips will help you achieve your goals. We are your support team here so don't be shy about asking question or asking for help.

SemperFi

There it is gang..... a simple plan that will work for ANYONE. 

It ain't easy or everyone would be doing it but it is simple. ;)

"Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards. I'm a lover, I'm a fighter, I'm a UDT Navy SEAL diver. I'll wine, dine, intertwine, and sneak out the back door when the refueling is done." - LONE SURVIVOR

SEMPER FI

blastthru23

You could bullet point the first sentence of eac paragraph and make the 11 commandments of lifestyle change or something like that.

dixona1986

Thanks, that was really helpful. I don't eat breakfast until around noon because I'm not hungry. And I do tend to skip meals at time, but it's not to crash diet. I literally forget to eat. I get hungry about once a day, and have to remind myself to eat the other times, so that's definitely not helping either. I didn't realize that that could send your body into starvation mode though, and I never knew there was a reason to eat breakfast first thing in the morning.