Metformin and Prostate Cancer

SemperFi

Gents and Ladies Who Love Their Gents,

I have been taking Glucophage (metformin) for insulin resistance and have continued use for its anti-aging benefits. Without going into great detail, because I think you should do your own research, studies have shown that metformin can inhibit the growth of prostate cancer cells. This is no small matters because prostate cancer is the third leading cause of death in American men.

A second key benefit that I wanted to point out is metformin can lower LDL (bad) cholesterol, lower blood fat levels and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.

If this subject interests you do some research and share with the community what you find.

SEMPER FI

Dolf

+3 SF

Seems like an all around great addition to any male who cycles. Prostate issues, ldl issues, and cardiovascular/heart disease are all sides from prolonged was use.

blastthru23

I found an article that discusses the possible benefit that metformin may have on prostate cancer. It seems that it doesn't prevent prostate cancer, but may curtail the growth of cancer cells. I am going to go ahead and cut paste the pertinent part of the article that discusses WHY it may slow the development of prostate cancer, and provide the link to the article that I read this morning. I am always interested in the 'how' and 'why' stuff :)

Link: https://www.harvardprostateknowledge.org/diabetes-drug-showing-promise-for-prostate-cancer-treatment

The cut and paste portion:

Why would metformin have anti–prostate cancer effects?

Still, hopes that metformin will be useful in prostate cancer treatment are very much alive and kicking. And even if you were to ignore the epidemiological evidence, there are reasons to believe that metformin might have some treatment benefit.

The effect may be indirect. Metformin lowers the amount of insulin circulating in the blood by lowering blood sugar levels and by making tissue more sensitive to insulin, which is a hormone that pulls blood sugar out of the blood and into cells. Insulin and related factors tend to rev up some cancers, including prostate cancer, making them more likely to proliferate and spread. So by lowering circulating insulin levels, metformin may be taking away some of the stimulus for prostate cancer cell growth.

Metformin may also have more direct effects. Metformin lowers the blood sugar output of liver cells by hampering energy-generating processes within their mitochondria. It may do the same to cancer cells and their mitochondria—and cancer cells, which are growing and dividing with the brakes off, need those energy-generating processes going full tilt.

Other research suggests that metformin’s direct effects may be the result of its interactions with complicated chains of chemical reactions called signaling pathways that can nudge dangerous cancer cells into programmed cell death (apoptosis).

SemperFi

Thanks for sharing Blaster.

Some clarity on cancer cell growth. You already have cancer cells in your prostate and hopefully your immune system will continue to keep them regulated so the don't reach a population level that you are medically diagnosed with prostate cancer!

Every indivdual has millions of cells in their body that have mutated into cancer cells. A cancer cells only purpose is to reproduce. A healthy immune system recognizes these mutated cells and flushes them from the system. Unfortunately due to genetics, environmental factors or lifestyle the immune system cannot keep up with the pace that cancer cells are reproducing setting in place "markers" that the medical professionals use to diagnose someone with cancer.

SEMPER FI

Dolf

My doctor told me everyone has cancer in them. It's just whether you die from something else or not before it decides to show it's ugly face.

SemperFi

If it ever shows it face with me again I am heading to Germany for hyperthermia treatment. Our FDA has only approved it for certain untreatable cancers because it's cheap and the drug companies can't make any money off of it. Two things cancer cells hate.... heat and oxygen. Treat yourself with both and cancer is at a huge disadvantage.

keep that in your memory bank in case you or someone you know needs cancer treatment- Hyperthermia and Oxygen.

SEMPER FI

blastthru23

Thanks SF for that detail, of which I had no fucking idea! We already have cancer... now that is a real head spinner. Funny how the media and medical community seem to avoid speaking of preventative measures that may be quite easy to take to prevent the cancerous cells from reproducing. That is just straight interesting news. My head is spinning like a top! Man, that is just too cool to know that :) Knowledge is power

SemperFi

Unfortunately not. They use a targeted form of infrared heat I believe just like they do for gamma radiation treatments. I have tatoooed markers (dots) in several locations that the used to lineup the radiation machine to hit a specific area and depth in my body. I am only assuming the same technique is used for hyperthermia treatment.

SEMPER FI

blastthru23

That makes sense. It's the same thing with cannabinoids for cancer; the cells have to be injected with the active compounds in high concentration, such that one couldn't come close to smoking enough of the stuff to do anything meaningful to cancer cells.

SemperFi

Metformin won FDA approval in late 2015 for HUMAN testing and trials as an anti-aging drug. The study is called TAME (targeting aging with metformin). It was scheduled to consist of 3000 participants and begin in late 2016. I have found no updates on the trial as of yet but you can bet a new generation of anti-aging drugs will be developed from the findings and released to the public in the future at a HUGE premium. ;) Metformin is too cheap to satisfy big pharma's greed. It like the fight between Edison and Tesla. ;)

Interesting note that stood out to me about the FDA's reason for approval was that metformin increases the number of oxygen molecules that are absorbed by cells. Remember one of the key enemies of cancer is oxygen!

SEMPER FI

SemperFi

Metformin is metformin. It is cheap and readily available so in my opinion there is no 'best' quality brand. I use glucophage but am considering switching to Glucophage XR.

SEMPER FI

rosoo

just to add on -- Metformin many cannot tolerate and will have diarrhea, if that happens, one can switch to Metformin XR (extended release)

also it would be good to always drink ionic alkaline water or ionized alkaline water for at least 1.5 to 3l a day

it will help your body detox better and make you healthier :)