Metformin - Glucophage

SemperFi

I have been interested in the use of metformin for sometime. Metformin has been shown to inhibit cell growth so for someone who is at a higher risk of cancer the benefit is obvious. On the flip side those who are looking to gain as much muscle as possible this could be seen as a negative. The ability of metformin to dispose of glucose will make it an interesting consideration for individuals who are wanting to maximize the effects of a keto diet or are carb sensitive.

Some of the effects of metformin for bodybuilders will have an impact on muscle growth... inhibition of cell growth, reduces IGF-1 receptor sensitivity, etc. 

I recently added a low dose of metfromin to my cutting cycle of Test/Tren/Primo. I am currently in ketosis. I started dosing approx. 200mg (1/4 825mg tab) of metforin with two carb meals a day. My carbs were limited to 35 carbs per meal. As of yesterday I have changed the strategy. I have a 35g carb meal post am workout and no metformin. My early evening meal contains 35g carbs and 200mg metformin. Late evening meal is 50g protein only. The goal is to dispose of the glucose of the early evening meal while sleeping allowing me to immediately achieve ketosis upon waking and begin utilizing fatty acids (fat) for energy for my am training session. I have not experienced any of the gastric side effects of the drug because of the low dosage. I will up the dosage if needed based on first am ketosis urine test strip.

My personal feeling is that metformin has limited use in a pure cutting cycle. I am simply experimenting with it for personal reasons and under supervision. For those who are looking to build mass metformin should not even be a consideration . I would have to say it is useless to include it in a bulking cycle not only because of the negative impacts on cell growth but it will also reduce hunger..... not good. ;) 

Here is a short video on an explanation of metformin (glucophage). Matt is a pretty no nonsense guy.....

[[{"fid":"35266","view_mode":"default","fields":{"format":"default"},"type":"media","link_text":null,"attributes":{"alt":"In the Car with MPA: METFORMIN AND BODYBUILDING","height":165,"width":220,"class":"media-element file-default"}}]]

Here is a research paper on AMPK that Matt discusses in the video -

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2779044/

SEMPER FI

calmb4dastorm

Don't stop reading my mind! Every substance I am looking at lately, you are posting great info on!!! I think you are psychic!!!

SemperFi

Just feeling the vibe of the community! ;)

We get to know each other pretty well after a short time..... that is why I couldn't leave.

SEMPER FI

blastthru23

I think he may be psychic (psycho at times). I was thinking of using a different GDA, and out of fucking nowhere SF is all like if youre thinking of using that, dont. More or less anyways :)

strong

X2 Calm...  SemperFi is a deep thinker. I'm glad he thought to take a look at his actions and stew on them for a while and change his mind and thought pattern. This is what being an adult, leader and an all around humble person is all about...

Dolf

SF is a great guy and valuable to the community. He's the guy who will try and change what he can't change, but trys because he's willing to stand up for what he believes is right. That's just that Marine Corp frontal assault maneuver. In the Army we liked to use a flanking assault. Make you think were coming at you here, but really hit you there. Lol

SemperFi

UPDATE-

I am able to stay in ketosis upon waking but the test strip is pink in color and not the strong magenta that I like to see. I will have to make a decision to either reduce the early evening carbs or increase the metformin. The problem with increasing the dosage without increasing the carbs I will probably go hypo. I think what I am going to do is increase carbs to 50g and increase the metformin to 425mg. I will run this for a few days and make small tweaks to the carbs until I find the magenta color on the test strip upon waking. If that does not work I may have to go back to the original dosage and reduce the carbs.

I have seen a slight benefit to muscle uptake of glucose. I mean it isn't anything obvious to an onlooker. I notice more muscle fullness shortly after taking metfromin. Like I said it isn't anything major but it is enough that I have been taking notice.

SEMPER FI

SemperFi

UPDATE-

50g carbs and 425mg metformin- no ketosis test strip change. I will taper carbs down to 40g tonight.

SEMPER FI

SemperFi

UPDATE-

40g and 425mg provided a darker test strip. This will be my basis for the next six week. I began a deficit as of today and the goal is to reach 4-5% BF. This is the most serious cut I have ever undertaken. My current weight is 222 and I am shooting for 205. 

My priority is to make weight, walk in full, maintain symmetry and still be leaner than all the pups in the room. That's not asking too much of myself is it? lol

I will have my personal final conclusion of metformin once I complete my prep.

SEMPER FI

SemperFi

Thanks for the recommendation of injectable vitamin b. My ND is on top of it. ;)

FYI to members- Metformin can lead to a vitamin b12 deficiency.

SEMPER FI

SemperFi

Facts are hard to accept sometimes. I only measured in at 70 1/4" which puts me in the weight category of 200lbs. After speaking with my trainer and close confidants they advised me that MCP is wrong for me. I never thought I would hear this but they told me I carry too much lean mass and to make weight is going to be crazy stressful at a sacrifice of quite a bit of muscle mass. Bitter sweet! Scratching this off my bucket list and adding it to my fucket list.  I am going to miss the challenge and experience but everything always works out in the end. ;)

Revamping the next six weeks into a ultra clean bulk. I am still going to shave off some fat but I will dump my keto diet and revert to a carb cycling diet. I haven't decided on a surplus yet because I just got out of the meeting. 

I am going to focus on my personal training business and share my experience while putting some play money in my pocket.... might even make enough to cover the cost of my supplements.... lol.

I will share my metformin experience mid October or so.... See you guys next time at 230lbs!

SEMPER FI

Dolf

Gotta do what you gotta do! 230 at your height = monster status!

[[{"fid":"35580","view_mode":"default","fields":{"format":"default"},"type":"media","link_text":null,"attributes":{"alt":"Skillet - Monster (Official Video)","class":"media-element file-default"}}]]