mind ,body ,spirit

siegmund

as of late , ive been doing a ton of thinking and one thing i was always big on and im going to get back to is mg was always more of a venting site not just aas use but  lifes challenges in general yes i know we are on a aas site but  fuck that ...im getting back to sieg 101..

i truly believe that is your mind body and spirit are not all firing on the same cylinders one cannot and will not achieve ones over all goal ... and its much more than bigger and stronger and looks its about being able to live with ones self , and being comfortable with where were at in life  ,like are you ok looking in the mirror and so on ,well mg has always been a place to vent and a place to get ones self right if they have no where else and its returning to that as of now ...

BobbyO190

100% agree!  That balance must take place. Stress is a huge result of life being out of balance.

The great book "I Dare You' by I think Carnagie is all about success can only come from a properly balanced life.

Mental, Physical, Spiritual and Social   Each must be equal. Do we focus too much on Physical....or other area, it shows.

So heres to your vent site and good luck all :)

blastthru23

Right now, my shits out of balance, but it is work that has me damn near hogtied! I went from a solo electrician to a foreman with a crew of four, only one of which is another electrician, the other two, who clearly lied on their application, are at best low level laborers. I have to babysit these guys, well one fell off the planet last week, and the other has been doing things EXACTLY how said NOT to. Unfortunately, I have not been given the power to shitcan lame workers. At any rate, that's why I'm barely here and unable to contribute much (especially when drama appears, I haven't much patience for grown men acting like little bitches, I get enough of that shit at work). Anyhow, I have made a commitment to myself to leave work at 6:30pm, not 7, not 8:30, not 10pm, 6 fucking 30. I take my job and role seriously, and sometimes or often I get to wrapped up and begin to identify with my work.  I take responsibility seriously, and often go off the deep end forgetting that I have a life outside of work (and the gym for that matter)

There, I vented, thanks for being here Seig, nice to have you back, sorry I have been distant, I'm going to change that, though it may be slow going :)

BobbyO190

Man...its tough to find decent mechanical trades!  I went up 10% on what I pay HVAC and 20% on what I pay electricians and still the labors half look and act like borderline crackheads who can't do a darn thing right! 

Don't get me started on foundation labor!   I dream of the day that we teach kids the value of labor and service to make a living versus sitting down at a computer all day and thinking you should get paid big money for nothing. Truth, most of my trades (labor/subcontractors) make more money than my bankers etc..... Need more teenagers in vo-tech and less in advanced math. LOL....then again, I am actually serious.

So I feel your pain but I can't say how grateful I am for the few like you that get the home built in the end!

There, that's my added vent for the day.  Fix education by encouraging learning on a broad spectrum and encourage learning what interest them and not teaching just to the test and acting as if standard college is the right path for everyone. :)

Amazonjames

Siegmund

Without giving too much away I can tell you that I went through a difficult situation for over a decade and a half, and if it wasn't for meditation I don't know if I would be here now.

I definitely wouldn't be the person that I am now.

Honestly it changes you. It changes everything about you. And then after a decade or so you realise that you are not even you lol.

I used to be a very angry violent Guy.

In my childhood I was regularly exposed to violence, and I come to believe that it was the answer to everything.

Now, after years of meditation, literally nothing bothers me.

Don't get me wrong, problems are still problems, but situations come and situations go, and feelings come and feelings go, and through it all there is always that something which sits still inside, which sees and experiences everything but is unaffected by it all.

I honestly couldn't recommend meditation enough.

if you want to give it a try forget meditation CDs and chanting and all of those other distractions, and just sit still and silent and let the process take care of itself.

As my old friend who was a Zen Monk for over 30 years used to say. "Don't hold on to anything, and don't push anything away".

just sit still and silent and let the thoughts and feelings and physical sensations come and go on their own. The process really will take care of itself.

Sometimes it will be extremely tough. Especially when the mind brings up memories and fears that you didn't know you had. But it is the most beneficial therapeutic thing in the world.

If you need any help send me a private message and I'll do whatever I can.

BobbyO190

I always struggled meditating in a 'normal' room setting. I needed some slightly more extreme setting to help.

Favorite is a dry sauna.  Second is the woods/nature; temperature doesn't matter!  Third is a hot bath with candles. After that I am out of options. Love the time though, for me meditation is mostly made up of prayer and praise.   Worth it for everyone regardless of their religious beliefs!

blastthru23

I went thru all the mumbo jumbo meditation stuff, ie, visualization, chanting, etc. I landed on two teachers, both who long since dead by the time i found them. Nasargadata, and Ramana Maharshi. "I am that" meets "Who am i?" Well, its pretty easy after a little practice, but, you simply settle on "I". Who is thinking? I am. To whom are these thoughts and experiences occuring? Me. Who am I? Silence. There is no answer, just being.... Even when shit hits the fan... its occuring to me. Who am i? Silence... Nothing happens to me, it only occurs as a thought, or judgement,  as Kant would call it. Things happen to the body or the mind, which just is an extension of the body, not the I to which it occurs. There are actions thst happen, the mind judges the action, the judgement occurs. We choose to believe its real, like when i take something personal and get all bent out of shape. Shit happens. Take responsibility, learn from the fuck up, and move on. It gets really tricky living in the day to day life frought with challenges and a variety of relationships. One must still take care of the mind and body nevertheless. Tricky business indeed. It aint easy knowing the best choice, not good or bad right or wrong, only the best. The dichotomy of right and wrong are but mental constructs to fill in the blanks of uncertainty. Certainty is absurd. Gotta be careful with certainty producing thoughts, big trap, and hard to get free. Think about it. Marriage,  insurance, retirement plans, we pay a lot of attention to those socio-cultural constructs thinking those will give us respite. Maybe... a little...maybe more...death is certain, the ultimate freedom... when the time comes ;)

BobbyO190

+2 blast. Well said.

For what it's worth you basically flowed through Rene Descarte's 'first meditations on philosophy' where he supposedly solved the problem of epistemology and proved the truth of God.   I personally agree with him on all points but of course many don't.   Nice clarification of the problem of what is true self and how we live life in that balance.

blastthru23

Although, i cannot say i found, or proved the existence of a god, unless of course its just who we are, and everything else is, in essence. Anytime i thought "god", i asked who is this thought occurring to... you know the answer ;)

'God' is but another concept... an explanatory placeholder to make the unknowable a certainty.

Amazonjames

My experiences over time have led me away from being a staunch atheist to the near certainty that there is something other than us that is spirit and is more influential than us.

I don't like using the term god though due to the common monotheistic connotations.

I don't believe in anything outside of the universe.

I would go so far as to say that everything is an aspect of the Universe or the whole.

The term god or gud was originally another name for Odin. Who was of course one of many "gods".

but those gods were perceived to be powerful spirit beings existing within the universe, and they were as susceptible to fate misfortune and death as the rest of us.

Of course, as blast points out, those are only thoughts without a thinker, that may have no more relation to any potential objective reality than "I" or "anything else" does.

ultimately there are colours sounds scents tastes physical sensations and thoughts. Anything else isn't really anything else. It is just further thoughts.