MOTHERFUCKER YOU ARE GOING TO DIE!

jewsir

FUCKING DO IT!! DO IT RIGHT NOW!!! You know exactly what I am talking about. That Thing...... That Thing you have dreamed about! The thing you were scared you would fail at! That thing that on your death bed, with your last breath you will regret not having done!!!! I do not know you, and you do not know me, However, I BELIEVE!!! I BELIEVE YOU ARE MORE THAN YOU HAVE BECOME!!! I BELIEVE IN YOU, AS I BELIEVE IN ME!!!                                                                                                    You are going to die as I am, but will you dare to Live????                                                                         STAY STRONG.... JEWSIR 2017

blastthru23

[[{"fid":"34331","view_mode":"media_link","fields":{"format":"media_link"},"type":"media","attributes":{"class":"file media-element file-media-link"},"link_text":"5. Iron Maiden - Die With Your Boots On - MAIDEN ENGLAND - 1988"}]]

jewsir

I posted that to hopefully push someone (myself included) to not lose sight of or belief in that thing we desire most. After over a year of being advised by my Dr. not to lift more than 200 in any exercise, I am going heavier, I benched, and squated 225 for the first time since my injury in Nov. 2015, and it felt good. I stayed just under 200 on deadlift because it is the hardest on my lower lumber, where the break occurred in 2015. I am going to add 5 lbs. per week until i reach the high 200's on squats and bench and mid 200's on deadlifts, or until my back blows out, LOL, I have plateaued staying under 200, and  i feel it's time to NUT-UP OR SHUT-UP! Thank you all for the encouragemebt and understanding the ideology behind the post! LIVE LIFE BROTHERS AND SISTERS, IT'S THE ONLY ONE WE GOT!!

blastthru23

Just be careful. Listen to your body, adjust your form as you progress, stop when necessary, and make the attempt a a later time. Care and deliberation are truly key in progressing with or without a prior or existing injury. Take care in noticing the distribution of the weight with respect to the former injury. Can the weight distribution be adjusted to a point that no pain or stress is placed on that location? Do you need to decrease the weight in order to achieve th lift without further risk of injury? These were the questions I would ask myself while dealing with severe shoulder pain (for some time I couldn't drive using my right arm). After a lot of adjusting my form to fit my particular body, I'm virtually pain free. And now the right side is a tad bit stronger than the left. It took me around 18 months, but it was time well spent :)

M

MetalMan

Congrats on finally going over the 200 mark jewsir! Like blastthru23 says, just remember to keep proper form to avoid future injuries. You know your body better than anyone else here so take care of it. Live strong brotha!

Titanings

Jewsir we are in almost the exact same boat! Here is my story and hopefully it inspires you :) Warning it may be long lol

I used to work construction hanging drywall (sheetrock, gypsum board, durarock) for over 10 years. It was me and my brother and we worked our asses off everyday to support our families. I could hang a 16' long 4' tall 5/8" thick piece on top of an 8' wall by myself! Well me and my brother had the nothing will stop us attitude and worked through pain, injuries, whatever it took to get the job done and take care of my family. I never had health insurance so going to the doctor just wasn't even an option unless it was an emergency. Well needless to say I acquired a lot of injuries over those years and put my body through hell. Now I have bad shoulders (rotator cuffs, cracking and popping, etc) from holding the drywall above my head with 1 arm while nailing with the other arm since we never used lifts except in commercial buildings. Bad knees, and a bad lower lumbar from always being bent over cutting the drywall, and also because I fell off 2 sections of scaffolding onto my back, injuring my lower lumbar and disc's. Plus many other injuries that I simply worked through because my wife at home with 3 kids counted on me to survive.

Now fast forward a few years. I was about to turn 40 years old with arthritis in my spine, 2 bad disc's, and a bulged discs multiple times within 2 years of where I literally couldn't walk for days. I stopped doing drywall and moved on to doing maintenance and remodeling of homes which is much easier, but also has some demanding things like pulling toilets, installing new fridges, stoves, water heaters, and even furnaces, which means moving them up and down stairs and loading them in the truck by myself, and are hell on my back. Which is why I always wear my weightlifting belt when doing that now :) I have pain in my lower lumbar every single day and the only question now is how much pain is it on a scale of 1-10, with it usually being between a 2-6. And to top it all off my wife (who we thought was going through menopause) actually ended up pregnant and we had a brand new baby boy, which was a hell of a surprise let me tell you!

Well I was getting depressed from waking up in pain every single day. I would have trouble doing small things like carrying in groceries, trying to play with my teenage sons, and working on my cars would almost kill me after a few hours being bent over turning wrenches. I would wake up the next day sometimes and barely be able to walk. I also noticed one day while standing in front of the mirror that I could not stand up straight. I tried standing up straight and physically could not do it! I always walked around doing the "duck walk" that people have with bad backs. So one day my brother showed up and says hey I have been going to the gym for 6 months and I am wanting to start weight training, and I know you have lifted off and on for years, so would you like to go with me and teach me how to do it and be my workout partner? ............I sat there looking at him excited cuz my brother wanted to go to the gym with me, and scared to death cuz I know my back was fucked and started thinking of all the things I couldn't do cuz of it! But then I am never one to back down from a challenge and have always had that go get em attitude so I said "fuck it lets go lift!"

So off to the gym we went with me walking like a duck. I told him I would have to start off light so for the first 30 days we did nothing but swim (since I was on a swim team when I was a teenager) laps in the pool 3-5 times a week so I could get back in to shape. I could not do butterflys at all due to my bad back, and could barely do breast stroke and freestyle when I started.....but I didn't quit! Then after a month I told him ok I feel in shape enough to start weight training, but we have to do mostly machines. So we started weight training on machines and begin to start working free weights in. After a few my brother saw guys doing stuff like squats and said I want to do some of those......I was scared shitless! So I told my brother, ok I have a bad back so I am scared to do squats.....lets start with some reverse situps, and work our way up to them. He was excited....which got me excited. So we started doing reverse situps....and they were HELL on my lower lumbar. I would come off of it and almost fall on the ground sometimes or want to cry cuz it hurt so bad! But I didn't quit......  Then we added weight to reverse situps....again lower lumbar screaming, and sometimes barely able to walk the next day....but I didn't quit! Then finally after 3 months we started doing squats, started off with low weight and slowly worked up....again lower lumbar would hurt...but I didn't quit. Finally after over 6 months of working with free weights, and doing squats and reverse situps my brother comes to me and says hey whats that guy doing over there and pointed to someone doing deadlifts..... I said those my friend are deadlifts, and they are tough as fuck! (inside I just looked at the guy wondering how I would ever even do them again with my back). So on our next back day I showed him how to do dead lifts and I literally started doing dead lifts with a plate on each side (135lbs) for reps of 10....and it was killing my lower back....but I didn't quit! After 3 months I got up to doing 185lbs on dead lifts....and one day I did a set and when I got done I stood up......and when I was full up I thought to myself "holy fuck I am about to fall over backwards! why am I leaned so far back!!!!" So I looked in the mirror.....that's when I realized....I was standing up completely straight!!!!!!  I looked in the mirror at myself and said "oh...my...god" My brother stopped and looked at me and saw my face and how emotional I was and asked "whats wrong!" I looked at him trying to hold everything together and said "I think I am standing up straight for the first time in years....". He looked at me and goes "OH MY GOD YOU ARE!" So then he stepped back and said "dude! walk to me!" So I walked over to him with NO DUCK WALK WHILE STANDING UP STRAIGHT! He ran up and bear hugged me and picked me up off the ground and yelled "that's awesome!" I looked at him almost in tears and said "thank you brother!" we both gave each other a big long hug right in the middle of the gym.....which I am sure looked manly as fuck LOL. Side note this was done before we ever started our first cycle.

So now here I am a few years later, about to turn 43. Me and my brother still go to the gym together when we can since we both changed jobs, but we still lift 5-6 days a week. I can now do 4 sets of 6-10 reps with 275 on deadlifts (depending on how my back is doing) and my best has been 6 reps of 315 off cycle, with a PR of 390 on my last cycle. I still push my deadlifts and squats sometimes, but I stop immediately if I feel like something is starting to give or pull or suddenly feels like a muscle is on fire. I also will always make sure to do deadlifts on back day when I start, and squats on leg day. I have a goal of doing two times my body weight of 450lbs on deadlifts on my next upcoming cycle, which I am hoping to start on my birthday!

So in conclusion: Never fucking give up! Never surrender! Never say it cant be done! And for fucks sake go make yourself the best version of you that you can possible make, no matter what!!!!

Dolf

+3...I always love a good story with a happy ending. Strengthening your core will help alleviate a lot of back issues. It allows your core to pull it's fair share of stress off the back. 

M

MetalMan

Titanings, wow long story but definitely one that should motivate anyone who has suffered from crippling back aches. Good for you! +1