Muscle recovery when on a cutting cycle

jasonking92

Hi everyone my question is basically on Muscle recovery when on a cutting cycle.  I started a cut about 8 weeks ago dropped from 17.5 st to 16.5 st.  I did this by adding in a brisk paced 6 mile walk (not on a treadmill) every day.  And dropped Cal down from 4500/5000+ (Dependant on if I bought extra meal out) to around 3950 (And also cut all fat a way from meats).  And was losing approx 1.5-2 lbs a week which I thought was fantastic. My squat dropped from a max 230kg (506lbs) for 2reps to a steady 200kg (440lbs) for 5-6 reps. My leg press stayed a steady 550kg (1210lbs) for 8 reps everything else stayed the same or improved slightly.  But I was just not recovering with muscle soreness.  Mainly sore forearm and triceps. Normally I do a 4 day full body split heavy (80-90% of 1rm Mon/pull Wen/push) Then light (65-75% of 1rm Fri/pull Sat/push). This set up has served me well for nearly 2 years.  Before the cut I would get a little sore on forearms and triceps Mon/Wen due to the heavy loads and pushing to my self every heavy day.  But would normally be fully recovered by the next Monday.  Since doing the cut I was remaining sore all week impacting my next heavy days basically knocking me backwards in workload.  So I was reading online that a cal deficit can impact on muscle recovery as this was the first real cut I had attempted it came as quite a shock.  I tested what I had read and brought my intake back up to 4500 cal with in three days my muscles recovered 95% And seem to be healing a lot better again.  So I am now going to try keeping my cal at my normal level but keeping my 6 mile walks in for now to see if I can still shed a little fat over time with the extra walks.  While still trying to slowly increase my lean muscle mass. Time will tell if this will work I will update this post in about 2 months with my progress.

Just wanted to share my odd experience. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

ashop

You may want to cut down on your workload and/or frequency of training. Getting more sleep can help too.

BobbyO190

Often.  I focus on 'feeding the muscle'.  Drinking BCAA's during my work out and even drinking protein before and after helps me a lot in this circumstance.  Give the muscle what it needs and I can control the calories as well.  Another is change up your routine.  Go light weigh with lots of reps vs normal heavy lifts.  

Lastly, cutting sucks. The body does NOT want to build muscle while literally eating at it's own reserves. 

Good to hear from you Jason and looking good dude!

jasonking92

Cheers Bobby I drink BCAA During workout and have Protein shake before and after every workout with a large meal with in 30 min of finishing But still not recovering. I have put cal back up now and the problem has gone. So I am going to try cutting with just the extra cardio. as my weight was quiet stable before the cut without any cardio. And see how that goes.  And also when my go too supplier has there spring discount. I am going to do a run on 300mg per week tren cycle for around 14 weeks (if I can handle the poor sleep and reflux for that long)  which should help me drop a little body fat percentage. As for load I have dropped my high loads down recently after straining my left tendon that supports grip its fine up to 130kg dead lift then it plays up so backing off until it heals may have to use straps after 130KG in the future if it happens again. other than that it does not affect any other lifts.

I will reach my goal no matter what gets in my way just might take a little longer than I had planned. :)

BobbyO190

Yeah I relate by friend. I hate those nagging tendon and ligament injuries that block muscle work outs! 

Good luck on that cycle and let me know how things turn out.

I have never had the inclination to try Tren but I have watched what it does to a mans body and you are going to be very happy! Nothing gives size and leanness like that shit! Hopefully it will heal the injuries as well.