Must haves

what support gear do you always wear in the gym or just working out?

For me: I wear compression sleeves on both elbows, regardless of body part I work. It makes such a difference for me, I refuse to train without them. glad I can snag them for 9 bucks a piece at target....

I would also say gloves, but unlike my elbow sleeves I will train if I forget them...

Elbow sleeves for me started when I was about 48....

One more thing: warm up time and stretches, mainly back stretches....

- I sound crippled..LOL

Anybody else care to contribute?

SemperFi

I don't like gloves or belts. I regularly use straps and knee sleeves on my heavier lifts. I stretch pre and post while incorporating foam rollers. I hammer my lower back, hams and quads with the rollers. I double done on my hydration throughout my entire training session. I can easily take down almost a gallon of H2O in a typical 1.5 hour session. I am almost always drinking in between sets.

SEMPER FI

strong

I don't use anything. I use straps on Heavy shrugs. I used to use them on other lifts but I have found when I don't I get some work on my forearms. Sleeves and wrist wraps have their place but I personally don't use them. 

I do stretch prior to working out and then later on after the workout. Foam rollers are a must for me now. 

blastthru23

Just straps/versa grips for me on heavy barbell shrugs, and deads. No belt for me either. I have one that I found discarded in a parking lot that needed just a little stitching. Its fixed but it's still hanging up somewhere. 

I drink 3 liters of water peri/intra workout. Hydration is damn near a PED in and of itself. Many lifts went up substantially once I started drinking over 1.5 gallons of water per day. It definitely falls in the category where more is better, within reason of course. There is probably a ratio of ounces of water to lean mass, or maybe even total scale weight... something to look up at some point ;)

strong

My amount is 1.25 gallons a day.  I have been diligent with my water intake for almost a year now. I do take off Sundays and just drink a few bottles..

Dolf

I use a belt on squats, and heavy bb rows. My bulged disc doesn't like me not using a belt anymore. I use the belt on lifts at about 70% of my 1 rep max or more.

I use straps on bb rows, shrugs, & db/kroc rows. I train forearms on their own. Imo when the weight gets heavy or I'm doing a burnout set I want my mind on the muscle I'm targeting, and not my grip. 

I don't do gloves. I don't want creamy soft hands if I ever go to jail! Lol

I have an elbow sleeve with tennis elbow pads when my right elbow doesn't want to cooperate. 

bigjerseyd

The foam roller has been a life saver.  I used to think I was destined for a life time of back pain because of how badly I punished my body in the military.  Then I had a friend who told me to roll out with a lacrosse ball.  Extremely painful but it got the job done.  Now I roll out my back religiously when I get out of bed and before I hop back in at night.   

blastthru23

On my off days, I probably drink a gallon of water along with swigs of milk. Just haven't established a routine for water drinking on off days for some reason.

blastthru23

I stopped using gloves because they stink like hell from all the sweat and its just another thing to carry around. That creamy hand thing cracked me up! Lmao

Dolf

That so called stink you speak of is actually the smell of hard work, dedication, and success!

I just about have it all but I don't use everything all the time. You'll find belt, wrist wraps, chalk, straps and hooks in my bag but I may not use something for a long while.

strong

Lower back issues??? Yoga is great. Any committed stretching routine will get it done. stretching you're Hamstrings, Butt, piriformis,Psoas, muscles really relieve lower back pain. Google Piriformis and psoas muscles and read how to stretch/massage those areas. The relief is amazing. 

Take that Foam roller and roll out the hammy's and buttocks area. It may be painful the first few times but keep doing it...

Tlift

I feel you on the crippled part.. I'm only 30 & have injuries in my left elbow & lower back from skateboarding when I was a teenager. I usually use gloves with the wrist support, & I've been loving my copper fit elbow sleeve's. It has helped wonders.. I have a belt I always bring with me to the gym, only for certain heavy sets tho. I need to check out this foam roller you guys are talking about, because my lower back is the worst! Although I've been doing yoga in the mornings which has helped a great deal!

calmb4dastorm

for the wrists, elbows and knees when needed. I use a back brace for squats and wear gloves during most training sessions. Each of these items remain in my gym bag. I have been looking at versa and cobra grips because I am tearing up gloves lately for some odd reason. like Strong said, the foam roller is awesome to roll those hammies, glutes and quads out! SF mentioned yoga a while back in a post and I said I was going to try it out; I'll be damned if that was not one of the best decisions I have made in a long time! It made me aware of how much more strengthening my accessory muscle needed. In addition, it is so very relaxing.

Tlift

Thanks man I will do that for sure. I haven't seen a doctor about it or anything but I believe it's from falling down landing on my coccyx (tailbone) so many times 

edit: I'm ordering one as we speak haha