Night Eating Syndrom (NES) DSM-5

built_tough

I need to bring up this topic in hopes of getting people to participate, include stories/ suggestions/ etc.

NES or commonly reffered to is Night Eating Syndrome.  It is an eating disorder that is affecting as much as 6 milliion people to this day.  It differes very much from Anorexic , Bulimia nervosa.  

Here is just an excerpt about this condition

"Night eating syndrome (NES) read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_eating_syndrome

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have come to accept the fact that I have this problem.  As to why?  I am not sure at the moment, but I am going to do more research on this and maybe pick up this one book that others on the internet are saying is a great place to start.  I am almost positive that there are a few of you on this forum who suffer the same way, and I would like for you guys to step up and provide your experiences in this, so that we can maybe get some ideas how to curb this phenomonon.  From what I read on other forums and posts about this, people are fully awake and "THEY KNOW" that they are doing it.  This is where bulimia and anorexia differ.  Anorexics and Bulemics don't know they're doing it and are oblivious to it.  Like the article says, we, bodybuilders, fitness nuts, health freaks etc, preach high and low about eating healthy, avoiding carbs, never to eat late at night, perform regular excercise , etc etc.  Once the night sets, then somehow the problems start.  For instance, last night.  I took 2 sominex extra strenght tabs, which should have been way overkill for me.  I took them at 8pm.  Started feeling somewhat sleepy at 9.  Went to sleep woke up at 10/10:30, went downstairs had 2 big pieces of bread with jam and some milk.  Then i went back to sleep.  I woke up AGAIN, at around 12 or so, went downstairs had another 1 or 2 pieces of bread and ate whatever was left in this one honey jar, which was half full.  It's all gone now becuase i finished it all.  So I went back to sleep.  I THEN WOKE UP AGAIN at around 230am , went downstairs and ate 2 more pieces of bread and nutella, with some more milk.  People, this is not a "just stop eating at night" solution.  It's a major problem and I'm affected by this.  I used to weigh 181lbs thursday, now i weight 190.8 and its monday.  It's a guilt we all feel when we wake up and wonder how in the hell did we let this happen.  IF YOU ARE INTERMITTENT FASTING, you better get a hold of yourself, because it will and can happen and turn into this.  I just think this needs to start circulating around this forum, so people get a better idea.  Don't be ashamed of this.  I completely understand now what it is that i'm doing.  Unfortunately I haven't found anything yet to get me to sleep throughout the night.  Like i said, Sominex wont do didly squat for me.  I want to avoid going for the anti depressants becuase i have no idea what they do to me mentally.  Until I get employed again and get some insurance I cant really say what medication would work.  I believe that it will take some hard effort to break this habbit.  And i have always said, smoking is one thing and i know its a hard additction to break.  but food addiction is a whole different animal , because we all need food and when it gets out of control , these symptoms start coming forming.  I will still keep to my eating schedule as I have been, but will try to think of something to keep me in my bedroom without leaving once i get to bed.  

built_tough

so last night went reasonably well.  i went to sleep at about 10 but woke up at around 12:30 am , because my urge to feed was pretty bad.  i avoided eating any carbs but i did have a couple servings of a zero carb protein shake, and a couple hard boiled eggs to calm me down.  i know for a fact my brain wanted those carbs more than anything and i resisted.  went back to sleep, but couldn't.  i literally laid in bed for a good 1hr 1/2 and now it was around 230 am or so and still cant sleep.  ended up getting dressed and headed out to an 24 hour gym to do some incline walking for 30 min.  went home and fell asleep.  so it seems that complete willpower is needed to stop oneself from binging carbs at night.  the good news. i lost 1.8lbs when i woke up this morning.  going to keep a log on here about my nightly dilemas and what not.  but i believe that a few solid weeks will be enough time for my body to completely adapt to eating extremely low carbs during daytime and night time when the cravings are 100x more potent.

Blahblah

Holy shit!  This is me! I didn't know it was a thing but I always wake up in the middle of the night to eat. Most times I won't remember it and just find food missing,  a messy counter top, etc.

I noticed that mainly eat from the center of the top 2 shelves in the fridge so I keep that area stocked with healthier foods.

Mr_Big

I seriously do the same thing.  Its usually between midnight and 3am.  It is indeed an issue because I can eat clean as an Angel all day then in those three hours the urge is so overwhelming. While I have not been able to beat the issue I have been able to handle it somewhat.  I just make sure I have a bunch of items pre-made that are healthy...hardboiled egg, piece of chicken, protein shake, etc.  Plus I make sure to count these midnight snacks into my total caloric intake.  I think for me its because I am so used to eating every three hours. But I definitely understand what your saying because the cravings are for major junk food!!!!

Outlawthing

I do it to I figure it's because I eat every few hrs but I always want carbs  guess it's because i limit them during day. Try to use almond milk and protein powder  instead of chocolate cake :)

siegmund

This last week ,all I friggen do at night all night.is eat ... I'll snack on tomatoes ,, then bavels and cream cheese. Then a can or two of octopus..then ill.cut up a cucumber. and.so on.

Blahblah

I need to lock up the peanut/almond butter... I will eat the shit out of it with a spoon if I can find it

Kfizzle

Did he really just say octopus!?!?  Sieg...  wtf man you crazy! Nothing like a mouthful of rubber bands haha 

Outlawthing

Peanut butter is not allowed in my house   Unless  bulking  I will eat two jars a week  spoonfuls   With milk to wash it down with  by the gallon  

I wake up every night to eat too. It's not too bad though. I take a couple of bites of whatever is easiest and go back to bed. I've been trying to make healthier snacks readily available. My nutritionist said to eat a sweet potato before bed and it will stop the night time eating. I haven't tried it yet, but another friend said that it worked for him. If my night eating gets worse I will give it try. Good luck!    

siegmund

personally I think its good to eat all night , as long as its healthy,I aet.. Eat bagels and cream cheese ,cottage cheese ,Greek yogurt

wtdragon

I am so frikn intrigued I must try this canned octocreature .I buy peanuts in a five pound can and grind my own pb in the ninja blender,sometimes I add honey and cinnamon , somehow I convinced myself cause I made it I can erat the fuck out of it and yea always at 11 0r 12 with a half gallon almond milk

wtdragon said:
</p><p>I buy peanuts in a five pound can and grind my own pb in the ninja blender,sometimes I add honey and cinnamon , somehow I convinced myself cause I made it I can erat the fuck out of it and yea always at 11 0r 12 with a half gallon almond milk</p><p>
</p><p>That sounds delicious! I will have to give that a try.</p><p> </p>

calmb4dastorm

Famished. It isn't every night but for the most part it occurs when I take my Lunesta! I never had that before the sedative was prescribed to me for insomnia. I tend to eat peanut butter sandwiches, get full as a tick and back to sleep. I don't have the memory of it the next morning, well at least til the morning I awakened to a sandwich smashed into the cover. I must have fallen back asleep before getting to eat it. But I have gone to Walmart, shopped and came home. Brought stuff in the house went back to sleep and woke up like WTF is all this and where did it come from smdh