No Mo' Squats

csancheezy

So I think Im giving up on heavy squats boys...It seems I always have some lower back pain that comes during the sets and then the next day especially. Now I realize that there is always muscle soreness that comes with lifting, but this is not the same, its that "damn that don't feel right" kind of pain. I added time to my stretching routine and everything. I am sure I could always get better with my technique. although I have been lifting for quite some time, Im sure I could use some pointers. But mainly I just wanna bring up the point that I believe I can make just as many leg gains without the traditional back squat... I have been off back squats now for about a month and I haven't lost any kind of size or anything. I am still bringing the hams and quads into progressive overload using leg press, leg extesions, ham curls, sumo squats with dumbells, hack squats, lunges, "sissy squats", and reverse hack squats. 

Now any of you guys with me on this? Or are you of the old school that says you gotta have 'the big 3' in your routine? Anybody else off the squats or have any good pointers for legs in general?

Dolf

I'm a firm believer in squats, and that it is the king of all lifts. However if it's causing problems because of preexisting conditions or prior injuries then I see no problem with not squating. You can build size with the leg press. Squats are more of a strength and power builder to me. Want a bigger bench...improve your squat. 

M

Mister A

Of course it takes a seasoned lifter to distinguish between good pain and bad pain - which you've clearly done. So listen to your gut - or your lower back, in this case.

Personally, I like front squats much more for quad hypertrophy. I get an immediate pump in my quads when I do front squats. I don't have to pile on a bunch of plates either. It takes most of the stress of the lower back if you learn to do them properly. And they're probably the best core exercise you can do if, again, you're doing them properly. I still do back squats, but it's more for building strength and I consider the hamstrings to be the prime mover in back squats.

I also want to point out that Dorian claims he won several Mr. Olympia titles without ever doing squats. If you look at his videos it's and exercise you'll never see him doing. I know he's in the genetic top 1% of all time, but it's something to consider.

M

Mister A

Squats are absolutely essential for most athletes - football players, baseball players, MMA fighters. They have to be the base of anyone's program who is looking to maximize their athletic power.

But hypertrophy is about stimulating a target muscle. When viewed from this perspective it's hard to assign any single exercise as "an absolute necessity."

Pankration

Same here man,  if there's pain,  that's your body telling you there's something wrong.  When. I was younger I dreaded Squats but now I like them.  I think they are good at increasing once own testosterone level but since your "supplementing" it shouldn't have an impact on you.  I love Hack Squats, I hate Lunges.  See what works for you, the only thing is don't retire because people say Squats, Deadlifts,  or Bench Presses are king. 

Outlawthing

i have some bad disks in my back and I will tell you if it hurts that way don't do it not worth it   I love squats my second favorite dead lifts 1st but I can no longer do dreads and squats only for a month or so before it gets to pinching  on nerves.  remember your on this for the long haul  no need to blow a tire on the second lap

SenseiMiagi

I love squats and deadlifts, but had stopped squatting several months ago due to pain and discomfort.  Recently hurt back doing deadlifts, so decided to leave them alone as well.  Im a recreational lifter these days, so no need to be in peak athletic performance.  Agree with comments above...if the pain caused is more than typical soreness, stop doing them.  

csancheezy

my way of thinking also Mister A, the muscle can be overloaded and brought into hypertrophy without ever doing a squat. Dexter Jackson doesnt use free weights, atleast what he said on an interview while training for this 2015 Olympia, says he uses all machines

Dolf

Here's my take on pro bodybuilders...don't look at what they're doing now. Look at what they did before going pro. That's what will yeild the biggest gains for us non super humans who aren't as genetically gifted.

wtdragon

Yea I'm one who gets terrible lower back pain as I'm doing them and next day not sure if I have other issues in there that flares up from those two excercises  or if I have weak lower back or if I'm just a

Puss. But either way I keep those on the only sometimes list. I use a nice belt but doesn't really help 

M

Mister A

There are certain exercises that I consider "proving" movements. If you have a deficiency somewhere or an imbalance between lateral hemispheres in the body i.e. one hip flexor is considerably stronger than the other, these exercises will be very difficult to do.

When I'm training someone I can usually spot imbalances visually. Deficiencies are spotted easily on the front squat, back squat, lunges, deadlift and standing military press. Not coincidentally, most athletes will say that these are the movements that cause the most pain, barring movements highlighting areas where an injury has previously occurred. These movements are also, not coincidentally, quite difficult to perform as well as taxing on the CNS.

My point here is that most of the time, the pain is not caused by the actual exercise but rather by the imbalances and deficiencies the exercise highlights. Working toward correcting these issues through stretching, isometrics, FST and correcting form could make certain exercises less painful and more useful again.

Dolf

Strengthening my hips with box squats and the hip adductor machine did wonders for my squat. Most guys think the hip adductor is only for women, but that's absolutely not true. 

M

Mister A

I work with high school athletes and the first thing I address is their hip mobility and strength. That abductor machine is a good proving movement. If a kid feels really tight on it or displays a real weakness on it then I know I can put 50 pounds on his squat real fast just from addressing the hip flexors.

In hs one of my friends called them the "pussy machines." He thought they actually targeted the vagina lol.

Pain during squat may comes due to the wrong posture. I've seen many guys in my gym facing issues with back pain because they overlook the role of posture during exercise. Posture plays a huge role in preventing extra stress on any muscle or bone. Wearing proper equipment also helps in supporting the back during the squat. It helps in creating intra-abdominal pressure, which adds support in front of the lower backbone.

Last edited:

larryking

If you are doing deadlifts or barbell rows and your back also hurts, then I have bad news for you. It's a hernia bro! My advice to you is to give your back a rest, do isolated exercises. Most pro athletes are afraid of injury and do 90 percent of their exercises in isolation in machines. Better go to the doctor, let them see if there is a herniated disc, if there is one, then take my advice. Good luck!