Once cycle is "complete"

blastthru23

I see this question pop up from time to time, and have even asked myself this question in the past, and it is an important question to ask: "What do I do now that I have completed my cycle?" "Do I take a break? do I change my approach to training? What about diet, does that change?" For the sake of this tread, I am going to assume that the goal of the cycle was to create loyal lean tissue gains since it doesn't seem many are here to compete in a power lifting, or a strong man contest. So hypertophy it is.

The answer to the 3 questions after the quoted question, is pretty much "No, or not really," and I will get into that shortly.

After one sculpts a clay figure, it must be glazed, and fired. Likewise, once we've reached our goal for X amount of lean tissue, we have to instantiate that gain into loyal gains. The way to do this, whether you are cruising, TRT, or PCT, is to continue to train in the same fashion. We have to continually push our body to create a new homestatic set-point. Some argue against the theory of such a set point, and there is merit to their argument, however, I am going to set that aside since I have personally experienced creating a new set point for myself. So for my purpose here I will assume that such is the case.

To create a new set point, we must continue to train for hypertrophy, continue to achieve the number of sets and reps for a muscle group such that we reach our maximum recoverable volume (MRV). MRV is that volume of training that we can fully recover from by the time we train that muscle group again. This number will decrease once we are off cycle given that we don't have supra-physiological amounts of androgen coursing through our bodies. But, this does not mean that we train any differently. Sure, the load will likely decrease, and that is fine, however, we still must continue to hit the required volume to stimulate MTOR thus promoting muscle protein synthesis, lest we lose what we have worked so hard to gain over the course of our cycle. We will still train 4-6 days per week not missing a beat. To fail to continue in this fashion is like the sculptor setting the clay figure off to the side never glazing or firing the piece. It is thus left incomplete. The upshot is that we must continue to train for hypertrophy to instantiate the gains we have made. Further, continue to achieve progressive overload just like on cycle. It's really no different.

Diet will be much the same as well, though, the our macros may, or even ought to decrease, especially if we were running a massive surplus. We will likely decrease calories to somewhere above maintenance calories usually decreasing both protein and carbohydrates, fat typically stays close to the same. We still eat 5-6 meals per day, and if you practice nutrient timing, keep doing it. Keep taking your supplements (BCAA, liver support, etc.). 

As time goes on, keep a close eye on BF%, your FFMI, and monitor your body composition through visual assessment. Are you getting puffy? are clothes fitting differently, how do you look in the mirror? Adjust you macros accordingly, usually carbs. 

Train hard, and eat clean. Get a cheat meal in now and again for psychological reasons if needed. But do not relent, there are always improvements to made, work harder on lagging muscles or muscle groups during this phase in preparation for the next cycle. Just because the cycle ended, our work has only begun. Even though we made it across uncharted seas to a new land, the journey is not over. We must build dwellings, capture food, find a clean water source, and maybe even deal with inhabitants already living in the newly discover land. No time to kick up the feet and drink mead, shit, you have to make it first! The fat lady is nowhere in sight to sing the farewell song. There's yet a lot of work to be done. Keep grinding folks!

SemperFi

Apricot mead... One of the most delicious forms of alcohol I have ever consumed! ;)

Thanks for sharing Blaster and your observations are very helpful. I also believe in the idea of a new homeostatic set-point.

SEMPER FI

strong

I am currently coming off cycle this week. I have in my mind to take a slight break on heavy weights and power exercises. They last 2 months of my cycle were very successful. My  joints, ligaments and muscles need some time to heal/rest. I am committing 2 weeks to a high reps (15/20 rep) workout. I will do mostly cable work and some body weight exercises along with more cardio.  I'm taking this time to sharpen up my diet and plan for the upcoming Spring. I have lofty fitness goals for 2018. The work never stops Brother.. Its a lot of fun..

siegmund

+3. 

Your correct the work dosent ever stop, and the COMMITTE,   your a warrior my friend and im proud and thankful to have you as a bro , 

Sig. 

strong

Thanks Sieg, 

I'm glad you had the patience to deal with my opinions. My mind can be very strict but my heart is open. 

strong

It is more fun than work...  About 2 weeks ago I was able to break a PR.  Prior to the sets lately, I just let out a big smile. I already know i'm going to surpass what I'm looking to achieve. Sounds fun and fulfilling to me.. 

strong

I would be remiss if I didn't respond out here on the boards to you my friend..  From what I know of you, You are selfless. If I am a "Pillar" of MG then I sure as shit need a foundation to stand on.  You Figure out the rest Homeslice : )

BobbyO190

I also believe in a 'set point' although I think it's mostly psychological.   What have you found to be the best way to "raise the bar" and set a new set point?  Are you even able to achieve that goal off cycle or do you just try to exclusively maintain on cycle?

What about you TRT only guys?    Is it just goal setting or do you have any other tricks?

strong

For me Bobby, I set goals for on cycle and off cycle. On cycle, I may want to see certain increases in strength and size. I may want to train my Traps harder on this 3 month run because they're too small. Whatever.. Off cycle I tend to try to lean up as much as possible, so my workouts change. I will now see how many reps I can get with certain weight and figure out my New goals. Lets say I do lat pulldowns for 4 sets with 200 lbs. !st set 15 reps, 2nd set 13 reps, 3rd set 9 reps and 4th set 6 reps.... Bang, I have a new goal.. I now want to work towards all 4 sets doing 15 reps.  The stronger you are off cycle the stronger you will be on cycle. The leaner you can get yourself off cycle, the better you will look on cycle.. It just keeps going on and on..

SemperFi

If it is phycological as you believe then for me it is all about the mindset.... pushing to exhaustion PLUS one more rep is just an example. The mind is the real battle and at times if I am able to control my mind instead of allowing it to convince me of quitting that is when the bar gets raised for the next round. These are not hollow words and it is not easy to do but I find if I take capture my thoughts in the small things then I am better able to control them in the bigger things.

Real world proof.... I can do 100 pull-ups... and so can you...GUARANTEED! No.... not in one single set but to the point of failure each and every time then return to the bar for one more. Once we take control of what our mind tells us we can not do then the rest is easy.

If I might for a second take a quote from the bible to illustrate the point - "Be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve...." Some of you already know the rest and those who don't hopefully get my point as it applies to the mind.

SEMPER FI

S

supps

If you think you can, You are right!!! If you think you cant, You are Right!!!

blastthru23

On and on and on... hit a goal, improve it, marinate it until it become it. Repeat, continue... on and on the wheel turns, crushing the stone to sand... 

blastthru23

For me, a set point is more objecti than subjective. In other words, I see it rather than feel it. For example, my body would go back and stay at around 204, but after a bulking phase where I reached 217, and 4-5 weeks post completion I went down to 209. Months went by, even did a two week mini cut that took me back to about 204, my body bounced right back to 209 ish. Body fat stayed stable, strength stabilized, and I did nothing special for awhile until my next cycle. Nothing changed much for about 6 months. I reached a new set point, such that my body wanted to stay there. Thus, for me, it was entirely objectively experienced, rather than being a mere psychological phenomena.