Partial tear of Achilles Tendon

the doc

First of all, hello again. It's been a short bit since I was last on here. Here is my issue: I am 8 weeks into a 12 week test e/tren e bulk (800 wks1-12 /400 wks 1-10), kickstarted with adrol (50) for 4 weeks. I started at 196lbs, and am up to 215lbs pretty lean gains. I tore my achilles tendon last night playing some flag football, which will probably limit my exercise greatly for a little while. My question is, do I finish out my last few weeks of the cycle and try to do some upper body stuff, or do I just end my cycle now, and look to start pct sooner?

blastthru23

I would keep going. Train the muscles you can, and learn how to train legs without messing up the injury. Keep truckin brother, but be careful and aware while doing so such that the injury isnt compromised.

Good Luck!

SemperFi

When a serious injury is involved I always recommend ending the cycle. The entire purpose of steroid use is to gain as much muscle mass as possible. A serious injury prevents that from being possible defeating the purpose of steroid use. 

Your purpose now is to achieve 100% recovery and not due more harm or hinder the recovery..... your mission has changed.

Thank God it was only a partial. Sorry for the injury and I hope you get back to full speed soon. 

SEMPER FI

bigdawgjr

I wouldnt keep doing legs. Any mcl or acl tear could be a very long recovery. I personally would talk to your doctor and figure out the next step to recovery. Let your physical therapy doctor give you the safest leg exercises to do if any. I dont see why you couldnt continue the rest of your body. Also include to your doctor what you are on and your current workout routine. Reason being, dont need your doctor presribing medicine that could reacte in a negative way.

SemperFi

blastthru23 said:
you can, and learn how to train legs without messing up the injury.</p><p>
</p><p>I take it you have never had an Achilles injury. ;) Nothing is possible for at least six weeks. You fuck up the recovery you might end up crippled for life.</p><p> </p><p>SEMPER FI</p><p> </p><p> </p>

the doc

Thanks for the advice. SEMPER FI, with only having a couple weeks left of my tren, is it really worth tossing (I don't think I'll be back on for a little while as I want to do a complete and full rehab). Would there be a downside to continuing with upper body stuff the last couple weeks? Aside from not getting the full effect/efficiency of the gear.

the doc

And I will be staying away from leg exercises, until my doc/PT tells me to do some and then specifically what they recommend.

SemperFi

My advice remains the same Doc. I don't mess around when it comes to steroid use or injuries. I believe there is always tomorrow. ;) I think you are wise enough that you will make the best decision for yourself and we will support whatever decision you make.

SEMPER FI

SemperFi

Make sure you keep us updated on your recovery..... maybe even go so far as sharing your physical therapy. Many members are interested in things like that.

SEMPER FI

strong

Doc, I basically pushed my life to every limit possible. That said, I've endured many injuries.  Please listen to The Physical Therapist. Dr's are great for the science and putting you back together.  You will need total body rest for a bit. You will know when you can start training upper body but only do P.T. for now on the lower body. This is a very crucial moment to do the right thing. You will recover quickly. Do not try to push through. You seem to be about 30 YO. You will recover and then move on.... Good luck..

the doc

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm waiting to hear from the lab to schedule my MRI to determine the extent of the tear. Doc said it was substantial, but didn't go into much detail and said he'll know more when we get results back. I will try to keep a log of doc visits, physical status (weight changes), PT, and anything that may seem useful. May not keep it up to date with posts, but if I fall behind I will for sure have written it out on paper so as to have a record and will be able to post it all accordingly. 

Dolf

Sorry to hear this brotha! In my older and wiser age I'm very cautious of my extra activities I  partake in because not only will an injury cost you time training, but it can cost you lost time at work. 

My advice is talk to your doctor and do exactly what he or she tells you.

the doc

So I've begun rehabilitation process, surgery was last week, to do a log of my pct combined with rehab from the injury should I start a new thread?

SemperFi

Personally I would continue to update this existing thread. There is no wrong way in doing it so you decide brother. Was the prognosis positive?

SEMPER FI

strong

I'd hold onto this thread as well. Time flies and you will blow right through this injury. That way you can go back and reflect.

the doc

So, first off lets start with the MRI results. It was a full tear, I had hoped for partial. Had surgery Tuesday Sept. 12. Result of the surgery was good, complete/full recovery is expected. I would like to add, since this is new since the last surgery I had about 12 years ago (knee/high school), they had something called a "nerve block" in addition to the anesthesia. Basically, an injection to numb the area around the nerve that supplies my achilles (or portion thereof they would be working on), and I must say it helped greatly. I had zero post-operative pain for up to 24 hours. During that time the area of my leg affected and my foot were both numb up until the following evening, and when I called to ask if I should be concerned they said if it persisted for another 24 hours, then to call them. Post-op for this surgery has been almost completely pain free, with the help of a little percocet here and there, which also aided in sleeping. I've had 4 surgeries prior to this, and this is by far the easiest one I've had to this point. Eating was a little rough for a few days because the percocet caused some nausea, but when used in conjunction with zofran (prescribed) it helped greatly. I stayed on the percocet through the weekend, and ceased Monday the 18th. Went in on Tuesday the 19th for a check up, and everything looked good. I go in tomorrow to get the stitches out. I will add that showering has been a little tricky since I can't get the cast/splint wet, but having had surgery before I knew a quick fix (plastic trash bag whatever size covers the needed area, then wrapped with either duct tape or athletic tape. I used athletic cloth tape because it was what I had. Elevation (resting the injured area in a position that allows it to stay above the heart, which will allow gravity to reduce blood flow to that area) is the key to allowing the wound to heal, which can be the toughest part of this rehab since there isn't much soft tissue at the back of your heel. Elevation will keep swelling down, which lets the wound heal faster. I am lucky enough that I work with my dad as a tax consultant/accountant, so taking off the Tuesday of surgery through until the next Tuesday was not an issue. If you can't afford that much time off, just be sure to elevate as much as you can, and either try to be off the prescription meds or have a way to manage. For example, I have noticed that when taking 2 percocet I will be very tired for the following 4-6 hours, but if I only take one then I am able to function still not at my best, but allows for something to get done. Another word of advice is have someone drive you to and from work, even if off medication, better safe than sorry. If there are any questions to this point, or throughout feel free to message me and I will share what my experience has taught me. And just as with steroids, recovery is a person to person basis, in other words, everything that worked for me may not work for you, so listen to your body.

the doc

Not much to report on. Recovery process is very slow. I've been in an adjustable walking boot (ratchet at the ankle to adjust angle). Started at 40 degrees pointed downward (1.5 weeks post surgery), now at 20 degrees (2.5 weeks post surgery), will adjust to 10 degrees this Friday (3.5 weeks post surgery), and then the following Friday (4.5 weeks post surgery) I will be back to 90 degrees or normal standing angle. At that point I will be able to walk, using the boot. Have also been cleared to do upper body workouts.