Paused Chin-Ups

R

ruxgear

Great for grappling strength-

Basically, you pull up to 30 degrees or so, paused there for 2 seconds to increase intra-muscular tension, then concentrate on finishing the movement explosively. Keep the intent of explosiveness after encountering resistance during the upper body motion of a take down.

Works best using at least 6 sets of 1 to 3 reps.

Dolf

I love pullups and chinups! Just to clarify by chinups do you mean an underhand grip, or can it be done overhand, and neutral? 

At one point not too long ago I was at 225lbs ripping out sets of 8 to 10 reps wide grip pullups with a 45lb plate chained around my waste. Bicep tendon problems made me stop, so now I'm doing just body weight. My goal was to have 2 plates chained around my waist but it turned out to be an epic fail. Lol

R

ruxgear

My favorite exercises as well Dolf. You might love traveling pushups also.

Overhand is preferable. Plates can be utilized as strength grows. The point of the exercise is the explosive finish so I wouldn't add weight if it prevents you from exploding to finish. You can also increase the pause count as you become more proficient. The goal of this exercise is to excite fast twitch muscles fibers forcing strength gains. Accomplishing high reps is irrelevant and is defeating the true purpose of the exercise.

Think of it as a Olympic Powerlifter. They are able to skip slow twitch muscle fiber and immediately access fast twitch. The muscles need to be programmed to do this.

Accessing fast twitch develops raw strength. Slow twitch provides for endurance.

You can determine your genetic make up to find out if your are slow twitch dominant or fast twitch dominant by performing the following exercise-

Using a big strength exercise like the bench press or back squat, load the bar to 80% of your one-rep maximum (1RM). For example, if your one-rep max on the bench press is 200lbs, then use 160lbs. Then, do as many reps until you fail or your technique gets really bad. 

-Less than 7 reps: fast-twitch dominant
-7 to 9 reps: balanced between slow- and fast-twitch fibers 
-More than 9 reps: slow-twitch dominant

The goal of my profession is to design training that allows me to be "balanced".

Tom123

Paused training is like a steroid to the muscule. I have increased my pb from 180 to 192 on the bench (not on cycle) by doing paused presing mixed with chain work and bands. 

Dolf

I can tell you without doing it I'm fast twitch dominant. 

I'm gonna add these pullups to my back day. 

Dolf

I've done paused training and it can be brutal. Paused squats are one of my favorites.

Dolf

I did these today, and I must say I love them. The first few sets were easy, but the last few got pretty tough! Gonna try working my way up to doing these with a plate chained to my waist. 

R

ruxgear

Great to hear you putting them into practice Dolf.

Get back alley strong!

Dolf

You may have seen em before, but google or youtube ghetto workouts. These are some cock strong fellas using whatever is available. 

I

icdeadlifters

Lmao...    X2 Dolf. Had a military bro that decided to get in trouble and had to do a stint in the pen and he came out hulked. Asked him how and he said lifting a mop bucket full of water, push ups, alllllll kinds of weird workouts but they all worked. And he was strong and built...