Protein; the next hurdle

blastthru23

Here's an article on protein I found on MD this morning. Fun Sunday reading...first time I've heard of "anabolic resistance..." Also, the article suggests increasing leucine, guess I'll have to look into that too. Wonder what quantity of leucine my supps have...? Gonna have to look at that as well.

http://musculardevelopment.com/articles/supplements/15321-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders-how-much-when.html#.WJd6lvkrLIV

blastthru23

Most often, i assume articles on MD are aimed at gear heads since many of their articles address aas use. Best not to assume. Thanks again for the heads up on that little detail. I found another article that i have yet to post that addresses protein and timing. Hopefully, I'll get it posted. However, it is not considering aas use. Nevertheless, it makes some good points about the anabolic window and timing protein intake. The article compares whey isolate, whey concentrate, and casein. I'll post it in a little bit.

blastthru23

Today, I was messing around looking into our beloved macro, protein.  In this article, I found a couple interesting points. The first one that stood out to me was that casein contains a fair amount of glutamine.  The main reason why this interested me is due to another topic concerning sugar cravings, insulin and GH, and taking glutamine as a measure to mitigate sugar cravings.  I thought then that if one ingests casein later in the day (casein is active for around 300 minutes according to the article below), then perhaps the glutamine in the casein too will be active or rather available for that period of time thus curbing the sugar cravings. Whey isolate has about the same amount of glutamine but is available for about 90 minutes.  

One thing you have to be careful of when reading the article is that the author sites "whey protein," and "whey isolate" in the article, but often is not exactly clear which is being compared. So, read it with a little care.  I blistered through it the first go, and missed a few points.  Anyhow, the take away for me at least is that it might be not a bad idea to include casein in my protein shake post workout, not for sugar cravings (though maybe it would help for some), but for its long lasting availability.  I was hoping to find a solid ratio of isolate to casein, so for now I'm likely going stick with 4:1 isolate to casein ratio. Here's the article:

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/whey-vs-casein

SemperFi

Good article blast.

The short coming that comes to my mind right off the bat about the article is it fails to mention or consider the increase of protein synthesis with steroid use. As if bodybuilders aren't using AAS. Don't be overly concerned about the minimal increase in protein synthesis by over supplementing with leucine on cycle. I know he states a 25% increase with leucine but again he fails to consider the use of AAS. If you are taking a high quality protein supplement and on a high quality diet you are getting more than enough. 

Keep that in mind when you consider your supplementation of protein. I can almost guarantee the average individual would not ever even come close to getting too much protein when they are on cycle and/or cruising if they are truly eating a balanced diet.

The biggest concern that everyone should be focused on is insufficient protein intake.... steroids need protein to maximize their performance enhancing metabolic capabilities.

SEMPER FI

blastthru23

Here's another article comparing WI to C. Looks like WI is the better for overall gains in mass and strength, and fat loss. Granted, WI as the better protein is quite intuitive given the notion of the "anabolic window", and WU is evidently faster as it were, I still feel  that casein has its place in protein supplementation due to its long period of availability in the blood stream. I'm now thinking a 1:1 ratio of WI to C (30g WI, 30g C) post workout. I know on a clandestine level that it will be difficult to truly know the effects of such supplementation, however, I will continue to research the various protein types hopefully to land on a semi-solid theory. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17240782