Pure Grip Strength

SemperFi

Deadlifts and pull-ups provide a tremendous amount of grip strength but I want to know from an arm wrestlers perspective what would be the top 3 exercises for developing pure grip strength? And if you could only do 1 of the 3 which one would it be?

SEMPER FI

M

Mister A

I think you really need to establish what you mean by "grip strength." I think most people fail to realize the subtle nuances of gripping strength. You have squeezing strength, crushing strength, pinching strength and also finger strength. Every facet of one's grip needs to be trained in order to compete in grip sports or arm wrestle successfully.

I would say working with heavy resistance grippers is the meat and potatoes of grip strength. Captains of Crush grippers have long been recognized as the standard of grip strength. CoC #3 certification puts you in head and shoulders above most of humanity as most people can't close a #1. Talking low rep sets here of all out effort, not those cheap hand grippers where you rep out until you burn out after 100 reps. You train grip strength just like any other strength movement. I've closed a CoC #3, but I never got certified on it.

For pinch strength nothing beats pinching a thick 25 pound plate between your thumb and the side of your index finger or with all four fingers link you're telling someone to close their mouth. If you can throw a 25 pound plate in the air, flip it and then catch it in the pinched position you're pretty strong. I used to do 45s, but I wouldn't even attempt it anymore.

And for squeezing strength I would just try to hold as thick a dumbbell as you can find for as long as you can hold it. I forget what they call this, dead hang or something, but I've seen it done with a circus dumbbell that had like a 10 inch circumference handle on it and weighed like 210 pounds. The handle is so thick you can't get your hand around it. You have to curl your wrist to try to lift and if you've never tried to wrist curl 210 pounds that's slipping out of your hand, you know it's not easy. But if you can get something like that off the ground and hold it for as long as you can, you're going to make progress. Anything that challenges the actual size of your hand is going to make it stronger.

A

Armbreaker88

I love this question in the world of arm wrestling we are always coming up with new ways to get more streanth in hands and fingers let say your a top roller or none as over the top this is my tech what I do so you want to work on finger streanth so you can work your fingers up and over the other guys fingers so you can have full hand control so here is a few things to ya to try out 1 split wood yes I said split wood but only with one hand at a time and with a heavy malet 2 this will work on finger and hand streanth pull your self up a rope but not like everyone else you turn your hands the opiset way with your thumbs faceing your face then pull your self up and down 3 really heavy grippers work well but don't use them like everyone else flip them over then crush them works fingers way better in my opinion 4 pull ups using only your finger tips 5 wrist curls but when you let your wrist down let the dumbbell roll to the end if your finger tips then roll it back up this works really well 

OK if your a Hooker this is we're we lock up and we turn are wrists in word  is called the hook this calls for hand grip and wrist streanth 1 get you one of them noodles ya buy for pools cut it down to fit on a dumbbell and do wrist curls and with fatter handle this makes you have to use more power to hold on to the dumbbell witch will make your hand way more powerful 2 lots and lots and lots of hammer curls with heavyest weight that ya can do this also works on your back pressure streanth 3 sit down and act like your going to do curls with your elbo on your leg but instead of normal curl act like your going to do a hammer then half way up turn your wrist inward thus helps wrist control on the table  

But it would be hard to pick just one of them they all play I key part but I guess if I had to would be splitting wood with one hand it will give you huge streanth over all 

A

Armbreaker88

Almost forgot Lol sorry it's 225 lil tired Lol but another great one is pull ups but just with one arm this will take some time to master but once you do very useful but ya can start out pull your self up with both arms and let one arm go and let one arm hlod your body weight as long as you can this will give you huge hand streanth I personally do it will just my fingers holding me up for finger streanth 

Dolf

Nothing beats grip strength. When you have good grip strength and you lay your hands on somebody they know they just fucked up really quick lol

I like to carry 45 plates in each hand pinched with my thumb and fingers to and from the weight tree. I do pullups with my towel thrown over the bar, regular pull ups, farmers carry, and a hammer strength machine called the gripper. Unfortunately my bulged disc in my lower back doesn't like me deadlifting anymore.

SenseiMiagi

I actually dont have the slightest idea what arm wrestlers do for their specific strength.  Personally, I would venture to an arm wrestling community (Im sure theres several forums as it is very popular in some circles), and ask the question there.  You will get better and more specific advise based on their experience.

Or just watch "Over the Top" and copy what Sly did!

SemperFi

You need to play catch up Miagi. :)

We now have a professional arm wresting champion in our membership!

SEMPER FI

A

Armbreaker88

Lol thanks semper and yes miagi over the top is a great movie of course my favorite movie of all time Lol and on the last match with sly and bull the reff is the legend cobra Rhodes he was the one that trained sly for the over the top movie and the movie was taped around the real tournament with was called over the top I got the chance to pull him 5 years ago and won I just wish I could had pulled him back then iv seen videos of him then and he has lightning speed 

SenseiMiagi

Ill be damned.  This is what I get for being lazy and not reading all posts in the thread lol.  Im rusty, but itll come back to me :)

SenseiMiagi

Haha, hell yeah.  I wanted a weighted pulley cable in my car after watching that movie lol.  I knew there were some pros imbedded in the cast, but wasnt sure which ones.  "I drive trucks, break arms, and arm wrestle.  Its what I do, its what I do best"  always loved that line by Bull lol

A

Armbreaker88

Hell Yea and bull was a real armwrestler of course that's not his real name and they also had john brezenk on there the one clip we're they say ready go and he holds the dude and all at once slams him that was john the greatest of all time and also Allen Fisher was one there to but Yea that was a real tournament and bull really competed in it to but john beat him to win the tracktor trailer but he sold it to buy a coravet lol

A

Armbreaker88

Another thing I do when I'm driving anywhere I always grip the staring wheel as hard as I can and steer like I'm arnwrestling I always carry stress balls we're ever I go to constantly working on grip it's the mist imortiant part if ya get on the table and grip up ya want the person across from you to no your there and if ya have good streanth without a strong had the other person is going to Get hand control over you and that's all she wrote Lol