Pure Strength Athletes....

SemperFi

Strength Athletes I have two questions and want your personal and first hand experience input. I hope you will avoid what is already available of the internet and share your experience in this area.

1. When the goal is to add pure strength is the "less is more" mentality the most effective means from your experience?

To clarify the "less is more"- Shorter sessions with fewer exercises, sets and reps using heavier progressive weight.

2. Do you do anything special during warmup to specifically stimulate your central nervous system? Or is that not even a consideration?

It may appear to be 'newbie' questions but I am a nut job for information.

Thanks in advance.

SEMPER FI

Titanings

Are you talking about powerlifting? If so here is a really good break down of the basics of it. It lists the reps and weight percentages and schedule that one would use near the bottom. May answer some of your questions :)

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dennis6.htm

I do know the one thing powerlifters do is start off at low weight and hit 1 rep, add more weight, repeat until they get up to high weight, cuz your body cant just jump underneath 800 lbs and push it cold. Some here can probably enlighten us more about it, cuz I am curious on some of it myself.

SemperFi

Read that T and most others. I am looking for a firsthand personal account. Thanks brother for sharing.

SEMPER FI

Titanings

No problem man :) I am looking forward to someone chiming in on this as I am like you in the fact that I have an endless thirst for knowledge!

I am hoping the powerlifter who was getting back into it and posted on another thread that he was back up to a 425 bench after a few short months while just on test will jump in on this one and answer some questions. With the numbers he talked about pushing I am sure he has lots of good information to share. Would be awesome to train with him for a few days and see first hand how its done!

Warpedlifter

1. When the goal is to add pure strength is the "less is more" mentality the most effective means from your experience?

Generally no. With the conjugate method for example something like 80 percent of your volume comes from accessory work.

Even with programs that use block periodization it's a decent amount of overall volume and workload and training can easily be 2 hours on average.

Training is also typically with many programs split up into various waves and intensity levels. There's lots of science behind this and the debate on what is best will always be never ending.

2. Do you do anything special during warmup to specifically stimulate your central nervous system? Or is that not even a consideration?

A good program should always include a good dynamic warm up. Never do static stretching before training and never stretch a cold muscle. As far as CNS goes lifters typically use acclamation sets often called warm up sets to prepare their bodies for heavier weight. I call them acclamation sets cause that's exactly what they are. You don't wanna jump from the bar to 500lbs for obvious reasons. Including mental reasons like confidence.

I hope this helps.

[/quote]

Warpedlifter

Another note......rotating main lift variations is also done to prevent accommodation and CNS burn out. Block periodization programs do this also. Good ones anyway.

Also one last thing. A main movement needs at least 72 hours before it is ready to be trained again.

SemperFi

Thanks for your input. +2

Disregarding the debate and scientific research what have you found that works best for you?

Do you take any special supplements, besides PED's, to specifically stimulate your CNS?

SEMPER FI

Warpedlifter

I believe there are a number of pretty good systems out there. But none of them are perfect.

The real keys to progress aside from a solid program are consistency, avoiding injuries, doing prehab, and always striving to improve.

Mastering technique is also extremely important. Lifting particualry lifting big weight is all about leverages. Learning to stay tight and maximize leverages for YOUR body type is extremely important.

I have always been a firm believer most supplements are a waste of money. But that's a whole other topic and debate for another day. I typically use a protein powder, preworkout, multi and sometimes a bcaa.

When taking certain anabolic compounds I do add others to aid in that process. But I am generally a minimalist.