Pyramid Training

calmb4dastorm

I have been doing a bit if reading on pyramid training. Has anyone ever used this method of training? If so, how did it benefit you? Would you recommend it?

SemperFi

Calm,

Pyramid and periodic training are two of my favorites. I have done both with good success in strength gains and muscle development. I will post my version of a pyramid routine based on the fibonacci sequence later this evening for you to digest.

SEMPER FI

SemperFi

This is my version of fibonacci pyramid periodization training. I got hooked on the sequence years ago while listening to a band called Tool. I had heard of it before but did not take it a seriously as I do today. The sequence is founded on creative design and can be found throughout the natural world. I am pretty OCD about such things so I simply applied it to my training.

Fibonacci sequence - 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, etc.... The sum of the previous two numbers equal the current number. The sequence runs to 144. Google it if you want to know more.

The purpose of pyramid training is to either climb or descend the pyramid and then reverse the progression of the exercise. Based on the number of reps determines the weight - light, medium, heavy. This pyramid version has helped me focus more on intensity and strength development within a single exercise. The periodic part of this also follows the sequence 2,3, and 5. 2 weeks, 3 workouts per week, 5 exercises per workout.

Here is an example of how to begin designing a two week periodization routine -

Week 1, Day 1-

• Incline dumbbell press - Reps; 21,13,8,5,8,13,21

• Incline dumbell press- Reps; 5,8,13,21,13,8,5

• Tate press- Reps; 21,13,8,5,8,13,21

• Flat bench press- Reps; 21,13,8,5,8,13,21

• Flat bench press- Reps; 5,8,13,21,13,21

Day 2 and 3 should focus on different muscle groups.

Hope this helps in your research Calm.

I will post a complete periodic training routine in the near future in the training section. Griz designed me a leg development plan my last cycle and I adapted some of his thought process into it.

SEMPER FI

SemperFi

Read it again to answer the question. Quit playing with yourself. ;)

[[{"fid":"35189","view_mode":"default","fields":{"format":"default"},"type":"media","attributes":{"alt":"Simon & Garfunkel - Feelin' Groovy (from The Concert in Central Park)","class":"media-element file-default"},"link_text":null}]]

SEMPER FI

blastthru23

[[{"fid":"35190","view_mode":"default","fields":{"format":"default"},"type":"media","attributes":{"alt":"Ween - Piss Up A Rope","class":"media-element file-default"},"link_text":null}]]