Realistic timetable

Whiz

In your opinion what would be a realistic timetable for someone to actually gain the muscle tissue to compete in classic or open bodybuilding? I ask this because most of the classic or open guys have actually put in years of training and you only notice them whenever they start getting a social media presence. Guys like Chris Bumstead, Nick Walker, Terrance Ruffin, Breon Ansley have been training for awhile but it's hard to put together a time table from when they actually went from a regular sized guy to a competitive physique. Genetics play a part I know this but if you were to give a baseline estimate for someone who is a regular sized guy who wants to obtain a competitive physique how long do you think it would take realistically.

Gokupwr62

You can't put a reasonable timetable together. A ton of factors and the truth is 99% of ppl lack either the discipline or genetics to get to that elite tier. Not to mention the years of tweeking to get your body into that level of muscle maturity and condition because everyone is different. Everyone goes thru a trial and error in getting stage ready and what works best for you won't may not work for someone else.

HGH.to

You’ve been around big guy’s HGH. What do yo think 7-10 years for the non gifted guy?
yeah 7-10 years is a long period that you, obviously, can achieve unbelievable results. but as goku said - there's so much to take into consideration when it comes to discipline of lifestyle (training, eating etc.). non gifted guys can be among elite, but, as sad as it sounds, they won't ever win. winners are gifted guys AND disciplined ones. again, without either one, you just can't win.
For example, I realize Phil Heath has a ton of steroids, HGH etc. in his body. He's also a man of dedication with 100% discipline. I'm quite sure some guys on this forum are having same dedication and still juicing, yet, we're not Mr Olympias. Phil is has genetics of gods, something that I don't LOL

Whiz

You can't put a reasonable timetable together. A ton of factors and the truth is 99% of ppl lack either the discipline or genetics to get to that elite tier. Not to mention the years of tweeking to get your body into that level of muscle maturity and condition because everyone is different. Everyone goes thru a trial and error in getting stage ready and what works best for you won't may not work for someone else.so everyone always mentions good genetics. How do you know if you have good genetics
So when it comes to being good at bodybuilding genetics always come up. How do you know if you have good genetics?

Gokupwr62

You'll Be able to put on good mass with ease, have great symmetry, hyper responder to gear, have good round bellies, ect. Also the will of a winner is a genetic disposition I believe.

Gainz.

The hyper response to gear is something that is overlooked a lot! People think gear can make anyone look like Jay Cutler. That's simply not true. I hear it a lot, mostly from out of shape people... but they say "oh if I took steroids I'd look like that"
Everyone reacts to gear differently. Some guys can pack on muscle with pretty small amounts of gear in a short time. Calum von Moger comes to mind. He lost a lot of his muscle after his injury and then like 3 months later after his doc cleared him, he was a animal! (His current condition is a different story)
Then there's guys who don't respond at all. Take everything and the kitchen sink and it just doesn't work.

But I think that's why dosages are kind of out of hand for these younger kids who don't know what they are doing. They think gear just effects everyone the same, and the only reason they don't look like Larry Wheels is because they aren't taking enough.
Before I got here I was reading so many stories of 20 something year olds taking 1,000-1,500mg of test and 1,200mg of tren and 800mg of deca or eq and wondering why they aren't 240lbs and 10% body fat. Then in the same breath complaining about gyno, hair loss, acne, paranoia!
More doesn't always mean more, and just because it works for him doesn't mean it will work for you!

Last edited:

EMachine

If you are trying to see if you have the genetics to possibly compete, try adding creatine to your diet. I feel that with a solid diet, and a good workout program, along with creatine, you should make solid gains. You'll be able to tell if you genetically gifted or not. For most people, it takes around 5-10 years of consistent lifting and a solid diet to make good gains. AJ11 makes a good point. Too many young bodybuilders, even some who don't compete, use way too much gear. Look at those guys in the 70's. They used very little gear and looked awesome. My rule of thumb, and I use this with my clients is to use the minimum amount that produces results. Continue to use small amounts for as long as you are making progress. Many people feel that they have to increase their dosages because in the previous cycle(s) they used, let's say, 300 mg of test and now they believe that they have to go up to 500 mg...this also goes with other compounds. As long as you are making progress, stick with those doses. The lower the doses, the less the sides. This is not a race but a marathon. Health should always be your number 1 concern.

Gainz.

If you are trying to see if you have the genetics to possibly compete, try adding creatine to your diet. I feel that with a solid diet, and a good workout program, along with creatine, you should make solid gains. You'll be able to tell if you genetically gifted or not. For most people, it takes around 5-10 years of consistent lifting and a solid diet to make good gains. AJ11 makes a good point. Too many young bodybuilders, even some who don't compete, use way too much gear. Look at those guys in the 70's. They used very little gear and looked awesome. My rule of thumb, and I use this with my clients is to use the minimum amount that produces results. Continue to use small amounts for as long as you are making progress. Many people feel that they have to increase their dosages because in the previous cycle(s) they used, let's say, 300 mg of test and now they believe that they have to go up to 500 mg...this also goes with other compounds. As long as you are making progress, stick with those doses. The lower the doses, the less the sides. This is not a race but a marathon. Health should always be your number 1 concern.
Yes! Yes! Yes!
Somewhere along the way people got the mind set to take as much as possible right off the bat.
Before it was let's take as little as possible and maximize the gains.
For all you know you could gain just as much muscle with 600mg as you could with 1,200mg. But if you start at 1,200mg... not only would you never know, but your wasting your money and risking your health with sides... and spending more money trying to combat those sides.

I'm in no way saying no one needs 1,200mg. Or anything like that, I'm pointing out the mindset of just starting with the maximum dose when you have no idea what to expect to begin with.

I fully understand building to that amount or more over time depending on your needs and experiences.
But making that a starting point... is 🤬 stupid in my opinion. And sadly seems to be not only popular but the norm right now.

I also 100% agree with the creatine. Some people can get annoyingly big on just regular old creatine.

Whiz

I am trying to see if I have the genetics to compete but my perception is flawed. Like if regular people tell me I’m big I don’t think I am cause I’m looking at the top guy physiques and comparing while regular people are comparing me to other regular people. Also I’m doing the dreaded scale chase where I think I have to get to this weight because of my height.

Gokupwr62

I am trying to see if I have the genetics to compete but my perception is flawed. Like if regular people tell me I’m big I don’t think I am cause I’m looking at the top guy physiques and comparing while regular people are comparing me to other regular people. Also I’m doing the dreaded scale chase where I think I have to get to this weight because of my height.
My suggestion is shoot for the moon and train your ass off. Shoot to do an event and do a local comp. Don't worry so much about the factors that are out of your control because even tho you may not have top tier genetics doesn't mean you can't make a living or a name in this profession. Hard work and bad genetics will always out beat laziness with top genetics.

Gainz.

Hard work and bad genetics will always out beat laziness with top genetics.
That's all you need to know right there!

And most of us here feel the same way. I get tons of compliments, dirty looks and attention when I have my shirt off. Someone always has something to say... good or bad.
But in my mind I feel like I don't look half as good as I would like to.
Body dysmorphia is a very real thing! Some guys would kill to look like me, and I would kill to look like someone else. Sometimes I think I'm a weak skinny bitch... other times I feel like king dick. But out of all the disorders out there, I'm glad I got this one. Gives me something to do and something to look forward to. Just try to do what makes you happy!

EMachine

Bro,
You just broke all the rules! Seriously? Do you realize that every forum is monitored? You just gave them your number.

Gainz.

Bro,
You just broke all the rules! Seriously? Do you realize that every forum is monitored? You just gave them your number.
It just screams scam. Probably a bot. I've seen that exact message in countless threads. I just had 9 notifications and 8 of them were it quoting me with that bullshit.