Shoulder Pain - Possible Quick Fix

SemperFi

October 8 of last year I injured my right shoulder and am currently recovering from a rotator cuff impingement after a broken clavicle several months before that! It has been frustrating and a VERY slow process to say the least. Anyone who has suffered through a shoulder injury knows what I am talking about.
I have spent most of my weight training life injury free until recently so I had to up my game on educating myself on injury recovery and injury prevention. In this process it finally hit home to me how important the stabilizer muscles are to our overall training.
Long story short, for my specific injury I needed to come up with a way to relieve my impingement to the point that I felt comfortable doing pushing exercises again. I landed on the idea of using bands, physical therapy, massage and very light warm up weights. One warm up drill in particular has help immensely in my opinion in relieving discomfort when doing pushing exercises. Here is a video I found while cruising through Jeff Cavalier's video library. Give it a try and see if it works for you -

SEMPER FI

BobbyO190

That was wonderful. Thank you! I have bone spurs on both shoulders and haven't been able to do a bench press in over a year. I can't wait to give this a try on Thursday when I do chest and arms again.   Thanks SF -  

I will try to remember to come back and say if it worked for me or not.

Dolf

Thanks SF!

Shoulder prehab has been a part of my training routine for several years now every since I injured my shoulder. Prehab helps prevent rehab...

S

supps

I had my rotators cuffs MRI'd It seems they are ok! My problem is called Bursitis, It still hurts like hell and this is also how i work my shoulders.. it helps a little bit.

Awesome SF! This is exactly the type of thing I was mentioning with the comment I left on your cycle log a while back. I personally do some light rear flys but I can see this working great too.

BobbyO190

UPDATE: I have done this my last three 'chest and back' days and have been able to do bench with no pain. Threw on 225 which is pretty good for me and after a year of NOT being able to do bench due to shoulder pain - three sets: 12,10,10  all three days. Moving up in weight next week so it worked great for me...thanks again!

I need to learn how to do this so as a thank you +2   (i honestly have no idea if that did anything but thanks again anyway)! :)

Bigandlean

October 8 of last year I injured my right shoulder and am currently recovering from a rotator cuff impingement after a broken clavicle several months before that! It has been frustrating and a VERY slow process to say the least. Anyone who has suffered through a shoulder injury knows what I am talking about.
I have spent most of my weight training life injury free until recently so I had to up my game on educating myself on injury recovery and injury prevention. In this process it finally hit home to me how important the stabilizer muscles are to our overall training.
Long story short, for my specific injury I needed to come up with a way to relieve my impingement to the point that I felt comfortable doing pushing exercises again. I landed on the idea of using bands, physical therapy, massage and very light warm up weights. One warm up drill in particular has help immensely in my opinion in relieving discomfort when doing pushing exercises. Here is a video I found while cruising through Jeff Cavalier's video library. Give it a try and see if it works for you -

SEMPER FI
How did you make out with your shoulder? I don't see a link to the video you mention. I've been dealing with weight lifter's shoulder for a couple of years now. It flares up, I get a cortisone shot and it goes away for 6-8 months. I don't want to end up needing surgery so I'm looking for ways to protect the AC joint and prevent further joint degredation.

Welderman

Brother I don't know if this might help you with prevention of further injuries. I do majority of bench and shoulder presses on Smith machine. It's just so much smoother to me.