Soy Protein

Semper Fi

I was always told not to use............

Help me understand this Guru's

Best overall break down of Proteins I could find: Whey vs Soy vs Casein vs Egg white

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/nutrition/gain-mass/protein-face

Note comment about the estrogen receptors and  daidzein.  Also, Glutimine and Arginin.  

http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/soyvswhy.htm

Source: Elite Fitness: Online Bodybuilding Magazine

6. Soy Protein Isolate benefits for Bodybuilders

Animal research suggests some great advantages of using soy protein isolate as a bodybuilding supplement. Research has shown that the isoflavone daidzein found in soy-protein isolate might have a gender specific normalizing effect on sex-hormone production. Lab animals experienced testosterone and growth hormone excretion as well as muscle growth in males, while the female animals experienced a decrease in these hormones and fat loss.

Daidzein is a key isoflavone found in soy that acts as a potent phyto-estrogen. It is structurally a very weak "pseudo-estrogen" (about 1000 times weaker than the body's primary estrogen estradiol). This is good news to the bodybuilder because weak estrogens like daidzein will compete with stronger estrogens like estradiol for available receptor sites to "bind" to. By binding to the receptor sites daidzein then "blocks" the stronger estrogens from binding to and activating receptor sites. With the daidzein isolflavone attached, estrogen receptor sites remain inactive. This inactivity further minimizes the negative effects of estrogen in the body. Many researchers believe this effect is the reason soy protein is linked to a reduction in the risk for many forms of breast, endometrial, and prostate cancer. This mechanism works similarly to the prescription drug Nolvadex (tamoxifen citrate)--an anti-estrogen staple in the bodybuilding community.

Research also indicates that the soy-protein isolates may reduce nitrogen loss and keep you in a positive nitrogen balance to better facilitate muscle growth. The human body can only repair and build muscles when it has a positive nitrogen balance.

Of particular interest to the bodybuilder is Soy Isolates high concentration of the amino acids glutamine and arginine. These two aminos are extremely important to a body builder for their ability to release growth hormone, aid in immune system functions, and for their ability to speed muscle cell recovery.

Glutamine (per 100g)

Soy    10.5g

Milk Protein         8.8g

Whey 4.9g

Many bodybuilders understand the importance of the essential amino acid L- glutamine to their muscle building supplementation. What many bodybuilders don't know is that soy protein isolate has the highest concentration of glutamine among protein sources-over twice that of whey protein! (7) Glutamine has been used for years in hospitals to speed muscle cell recovery and improve maintenance of muscle mass during periods of starvation, infection, and exercise trauma. (8) Glutamine supplementation has been shown to promote muscle glycogen accumulation, which has been linked to an increase in muscle protein synthesis. (10) Glutamine has also shown the ability to increase muscle cell volume through the process of cellular hydration. (11) Glutamine supplementation in as little as 2 grams per day has been shown to increase plasma growth hormone levels. This increase in growth hormone has been shown to help shift the fuel for muscle from glucose to fatty acids. (9) Research has suggested that a bodybuilder should consume between 8 - 15 grams of glutamine each day. Supplementing 3-5 grams of glutamine 3 times per day has been shown to elicit a positive response without stimulating the excretion of glutamine in the urine.

Arginine (per 100g)

Soy    7.6g

Beef   6.3g

Egg    5.8g

Cassein       3.7g

Whey 2.9g

L-Arginine is another important amino acid with respects to body building. Arginine plays several roles in the body such as fighting mental and physical fatigue, but its main job is to assist with growth. This amino acid promotes the release of two highly anabolic hormones, insulin and growth hormone. Arginine promotes gains further by assisting in recovery from post workout muscle trauma through its ability to speed tissue healing. This amino acid aids in the detoxification of the liver by removing ammonium from the body. Arginine has also shown the ability to lower LDL cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the blood. Arginine is used in the medical treatment of angina, congestive heart failure, male infertility and wound healing. Soy isolate protein contains higher amounts of this important amino acid than any other protein source.

As a hard training bodybuilder, your body needs protein every 2 -2 1/2 hours even if you may not think you need it. The human body does not store protein long term as it does for fat and carbohydrates. Instead, your body holds amino acids in three pools that provide the body's necessary protein for fuel. These pools are constantly in a state of flux and are replenished either from dietary protein or the breakdown of muscle. It is extremely important to keep these amino acid pools topped off through the feeding of protein every 2 - 2 1/2 hours. When feeding stops, there is a fall in protein synthesis and a rise in protein breakdown. This translates into a loss of lean body mass after extended periods without protein.

Other Sources:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/can-adding-soy-protein-lead-to-more-growth.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson71.htm

Don't ask me any questions as I don't know anymore than what I have just read

Semper Fi

Semper Fi

Really?  No one else has any experience here?

Well just so it is known - I usually have at least 1 Soy Protein drink a day and still none of the rumored associated bitch tits or heavy bloating ...... but then again I have yet to need an AI either......

Whey for workouts, Casein for sleep and Soy if/as needed during rest of day…….

SF

Kfizzle

I just try to get 2xbw of protein in and lift some heavy ass weight! Whey, soy, casein, egg, beef,  it's all good and it's all protein!  Just my .02

Semper Fi

Funny thing is though that I used to catch a lot of shit for using "Soy" from the local gym guys "In the know"...... but in asking why....well, I get the typical bro-science answers which is no science at all.  It is dirt cheap down here compared to whey and the original reason I started using it.  3 months ago or so I posted this same write up at the EF site since it was sourced from there and they all said "Stay away from it - bla bla bla" - and even deleted the thread - no shit.  

Anyway, I thought the stuff about glutamine, arginine and especially daidzein very interesting. 

Maybe I have been taking as mild anti-estrogen without realizing it.  Of course everyone thinks I am adding to it…… Be nice if some old school vets with real experience could chime in. 

Cheers,

Semper Fi

milkin

Soy or whey protien is a debate that has gone on for quite sometime now and will continue to. Its all about marketing if you ask me. Will I grow breasts if I use soy products ? Umm I would say not but advertisements pushing whey products would beg to differ.

The supplement industry is a multi billion dollar a year commodity so you have to be careful how you process articles, blogs, and forums that push them out there. See that jacked up dude in muscle and fitness magazine promoting 1MR pre workout accelerator ? We all know he didn't get like that from using the product, but he has no problem being on their payroll.

Here's my opinion for what its worth. Protein is best when's obtained via animal protein since we all know that lean meats are chocked full of them. When it comes to meal supplemental sources of protein, the yes I will agree that a protein shake is justified. However, relying on shakes alone for your primary source of protein should be thought about long and hard. These shakes have a lot of hidden extras in them like iron, magnesium, arsenic, and many other undesirable goodies the refer to as "Heavy Metals ".  

So with that being said, your supplemental protein consumption should be re evaluated if you rely on protein shakes alone.

https://musclegurus.to/forum/supplements/protein/71730-how-many-protein-drinks-do-you-have-per-day

Semper Fi

Roger that on the marketing - that's why I like to dig deep into the science.  For the Record, I take probably 50 gms per day in Soy with no issues and "to date" have not had to use an AI although I always have on hand.  I think the whole "Soy will give you man boobs" etc talk is total bro science and crap in reality.

I can't agree or disagree on Animal Protiens vs Plant protiens - I doubt any one today can with any "certainty".  The debate is too close to call IMO.  I have read studies for HOURS on this trying to get some conclusion........but no, Pro/Cons are too close on too many differetnt levels for me to feel one way or the other.

To keep it simple I figure for now will just keep a healthy mix between both- Besdies Soy is dirt cheap here :)

Oh and I don't rely on shakes alone althought they are convienient.  I eats tons of animal meat - Chicken most every day and TONS of my homemade Beef Jerky!

Cheers,

SF

built_tough

from what i've heard. soy protein increases estrogen.  that's what ive heard. not sure on the legitimacy of that, but thats what ive heard and avoided soy like the plague.  not to mention, it has a small amount of protein compared to whey

Semper Fi

I originally avoided it too -

Not sure if you read this thread but "What you have heard" is mostly what is being discussed. I will admit to being new to AAS but I am also a "Former/Retired" Engineer/researcher. "Bro-Science" in the AAS community is ....well, it just "IS". Hell, on soooooo many boards I could go through and highlight someone’s "Opinion" - throw that into a Google search and find that that is the same opinion as 100 others with NOTHING to support it.  If you read this thread you will find that science does not support what you have "Heard" on Soy - hence the reason I am searching for longtimers personal experience to counter the science - HELL, Science has been wrong before too!  :) 

Ohhhh and I recon my IGF with BAC as well.....

Cheers,

Semper Fi