Squats after 8 years due to injury

PedritoHID

Hello browskies,

This is my last set, I did 8 reps. I have a herniated disc due to an accident in the gym that I had no part of 8 years ago. I've been taking physical therapy and I need to squats to make my leg, core and lower back stronger.

Anyways just wanted to share.

@bobby ricky ... Right behind you...

Pic

seymour

Hello browskies,

This is my last set, I did 8 reps. I have a herniated disc due to an accident in the gym that I had no part of 8 years ago. I've been taking physical therapy and I need to squats to make my leg, core and lower back stronger.

Anyways just wanted to share.

@bobby ricky ... Right behind you...

Pic
Bro you stalking the Bobby Ricky man?!?! 😂

I hear you with the squats though. I've got a bad hip from injury in the military and squats are damn near impossible. It really blows because it's a main lift obviously. I'm able to make it up by working legs harder when doing other exercises though so I guess end of the day it's not so bad.

bobby ricky

Yea, what’s going on. Is it because I like Texas 😂 motorcycle accident and two operations. Leg press and good mornings are the only one’s I can do . Have to work around my injury. The only thing that makes it feel funny is squatting. No pain just weird 😃

seymour

Yea, what’s going on. Is it because I like Texas 😂 motorcycle accident and two operations. Leg press and good mornings are the only one’s I can do . Have to work around my injury. The only thing that makes it feel funny is squatting. No pain just weird 😃
I do the same thing man. Leg press on a straight leg press machine and also on the inverted one where your ass sits lower and press up more. Good mornings as well. Work legs extra hard too

Gainz.

I had 3 herniated discs and a tear in my spine. Stopped me from lifting for like 7 years. Went from 115lbs in high school (solid muscle tho🤣) to 176lbs by the time I was 26. Then I got hurt. But a year and a half ago I found a video by athlean X, on how to help your herniated discs. Dude it changed my life. After 7 years of constant back pain I'm 99% better. Once in a while I'll have a bad day, but still nothing compared to what I was living with. Witch is a huge reason I'm lifting again, that and my awesome gf. But now I'm up to 180lbs (from 137lb🤢 the day I started) if you're still having some pain I highly recommend checking it out. It's the one stretch that did it for me. But maybe when I get braver... and a little bigger I'll post my before and after pics. The before... theres a lot of shame in them

Last edited:

bobby ricky

I had 3 herniated discs and a tear in my spine. Stopped me from lifting for like 7 years. Went from 115lbs in high school (solid muscle tho🤣) to 176lbs by the time I was 26. Then I got hurt. But a year and a half ago I found a video by athlean X, on how to help your herniated discs. Dude it changed my life. After 7 years of constant back pain in 99% better. Witch is a huge reason I'm lifting again, that and my awesome gf. But now I'm up to 180lbs (from 137lb🤢 the day I started) if you're still having some pain I highly recommend checking it out. It's the one stretch that did it for me. But maybe when I get braver... and a little bigger I'll post my before and after pics. The before... theres a lot of shame and self loathing in those pics.
But if you're interested and I can figure out how to attach the link I will. (Its really easy to find)
Have u ever ran deca? I’m just wondering if it would help with whats left of your pain. Everyone knows I’m a big fan of deca.

Gainz.

Have u ever ran deca? I’m just wondering if it would help with whats left of your pain. Everyone knows I’m a big fan of deca.
No.. I'm just getting ready to start my first cycle.
But the only pain I "have" is pretty rare. Maybe once every few months and its only a day or 2. I can tell its from that injury because my sciatic makes my right hip burn and cramp. But its pretty rare and pretty mild pain. Considering it was constant for years, worse was when my whole right leg went numb for like 6 weeks. Was walking with a limp because I literally couldn't feel my foot hitting the floor. Even though my leg was numb my lower back and hip felt like... I don't know.. unbearable pain. Couldn't think of a funny analogy 🤣

PedritoHID

I had 3 herniated discs and a tear in my spine. Stopped me from lifting for like 7 years. Went from 115lbs in high school (solid muscle tho🤣) to 176lbs by the time I was 26. Then I got hurt. But a year and a half ago I found a video by athlean X, on how to help your herniated discs. Dude it changed my life. After 7 years of constant back pain I'm 99% better. Once in a while I'll have a bad day, but still nothing compared to what I was living with. Witch is a huge reason I'm lifting again, that and my awesome gf. But now I'm up to 180lbs (from 137lb🤢 the day I started) if you're still having some pain I highly recommend checking it out. It's the one stretch that did it for me. But maybe when I get braver... and a little bigger I'll post my before and after pics. The before... theres a lot of shame in them

Well man, I tried everything, including physical Therapy and nothing. My hernia is pretty big, I was getting numb and an excruciating pain down my leg.

In the past month I got 2 steroid injections, the first one didn't do shit, the second ine was stronger and in two discs L5 & S1. It was night day, its been 3 weeks with no pain, now I'm focusing on strengthening my core with abs and deadlifts. I feel pretty good to be honest.

I started 100mg to 150 per week of NPP, just to add a little bit of lube to my joints 😁 I've been feeling pretty strong honestly, and its been a months that I finished my cutting cycle. So will see how it goes.

I hope the combo of injections, core strengthening and Nan will help in preventing the pain.

I didn’t say it would fix it . If you read what I said said it might help with the pain.👍
I've seen a lot of people who don't quit deca cause of the lubrication effect on their joints even after cycling, they stay on low doseages.

Has it help you in the long run with the joints pain?

Gainz.

Dude I was broken. I had 3, 2 they wanted to do surgery on, and a 6" tear in my spinal cord. It broke me for years. I did physically therapy (didn't help because they didn't focus on things that would actually put the disc back) and steroid injections. The first one made my back swell up so bad it looked like I was wearing a backpack! Then for years I just lived with the pain and developed a pretty terrible habit because of it. Luckily I ditched that a long time ago. But just learned to live with the pain. I didn't lift because I was so afraid of hurting myself again. After 5 years I found a balance of bearable pain and active life. I didn't want to risk hurting myself and being in that much pain again. Because of the percs and steroids and my stupid fast metabolism it looked like I picked up a crack habit. I just wasted away in a few months. Then stayed like that for way too long because of fear and depression. That video really did help me! Like it's the physical reason why I put on 43lbs of muscle in the past 14 months. It took like 2 weeks of doing all the stretches once a day, and the "cobra" stretch a few times a day. When ever it was acting up. I never knew something so simple could change my life. but it did. It helped me so much I emailed Jeff telling him how much that 8 minute video helped me. No I'm not getting paid and I don't benefit from anything. It just helped me that much. I still do the stretches twice a week. And I do the "cobra" daily. I don't know what its called but when you watch it you'll know what I'm talking about. Usually once a week I'll spend a good 15 minutes watching tv like that in not such a "intense" stretch. I honestly can't say enough good things about it. It truly helped me, I hope it can help you too.

PedritoHID

Just wanted to share with you guys. 225 for 3 reps, nothing huge for some, but for me is something to brag about as I'm returning from an injury and a herniated back, gear fixed it for me and I have no pain at all. Thank you bros for all the knowledge you'll spread in here.

unclem

good god you guys have been through alot ill say a prayer for all of you. iam surprised you guys are lifting.

Gainz.

Just wanted to share with you guys. 225 for 3 reps, nothing huge for some, but for me is something to brag about as I'm returning from an injury and a herniated back, gear fixed it for me and I have no pain at all. Thank you bros for all the knowledge you'll spread in here.

Dude that's fucking awesome!
I'm not really one for maxing out.
On squat and bench I usually only go to bodyweight. I'm too old to be risking injuries... the risk vs reward just isn't there for me anymore.
The only things I really enjoy maxing out on are biceps ez curls, tricep push downs and lat pulldowns.
But even then I don't max out on curls that often. The strain it puts on my lower back...

bobby ricky

I almost had a tear in my eye when I pressed a weight I was chasing for 2 years. I know exactly how you feel. You probably left the gym high as a kite👍👍

Gainz.

U have no idea what old is young man 😂😂

Yeah I feel ya there... but I definitely feel old enough not to go chasing numbers again!
I started lifting at 18. By 22 I was obsessed with my bench, strict curl, skull crusher and military press 1 rep max.
By 26 I hurt myself so bad I didn't touch a weight again until I was 33... I'm 35.
I'm fucking terrified I'll hurt myself again and end up down that very path that almost killed me before.
Why I don't feel old... not like I did before I started lifting. But I feel old enough not to go chasing big numbers again!